Sheath or Sheaf?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sheath or Sheaf?

• Sheath

Votes: 198 98.5%
  • Sheaf

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
My personal whatd'yacallit is:

"Will you pass me over the [insert object here]"

No chance mucker! I'm not lifting you over anything.. pfft.

Or "That really learned him!"

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I know a few, in some cases you could well be correct:D .

ooops my bad:eek:
“There are no bad students just bad teachers”
Tthere are some teachers who should be banned, my daughter's English teacher think that pronouncing the ‘h’ at the beginning on some words is ‘bad’ English,
‘ouse ‘orse ‘onest :tapedshut
She also allows the use of the words ‘dreamed’ spelled, kneeled and spilled.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
ooops my bad:eek:
“There are no bad students just bad teachers”
Tthere are some teachers who should be banned, my daughter's English teacher think that pronouncing the ‘h’ at the beginning on some words is ‘bad’ English,
‘ouse ‘orse ‘onest :tapedshut
She also allows the use of the words ‘dreamed’ spelled, kneeled and spilled.

I just checked the Oxford English Dictionary online, and it would appear that kneeled and spilled are valid words. However, dreamed and spelled are not. It's a reflection on how the teacher was learned ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I just checked the Oxford English Dictionary online, and it would appear that kneeled and spilled are valid words. However, dreamed and spelled are not. It's a reflection on how the teacher was learned ;)

in times I'm sure that 'chav' or wag will be come "valid words" it does not make it/them any less wrong (to my ears).

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
Sheath for me, but I'm fai Scotland an sheaths is what ye cerry yir knifes in, sheafs is what ye get fai a field o oats.

F for th disna worry me ae wye or tither tho, it's jist dialects and language shift. It's been happening for at least 60, 000 years.

There's an awful lot of old fogeys here ;) , I'd never have though it :lmao:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Mien Gott Risclean, it's like reading 'Oor Willie'!:D

Speaking as a Yorkshireman, i know i have a tendency to drop my 'H's. However, i did'nt know until recently, that when i use my telephone voice (living in South Wales, some don't understand my accent) i tend to put in 'H's where they are not required. For instance

Queens English: Huddersfield and Halifax

Jedadiah's Telephone English: 'Uddersfield Hand 'Alifax

A little bizarre, my Mrs picks me up on owt!

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
crayon.jpg

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
If we are on the subject of English as it should be [spoke] Joke.
The one that gets me is the weather men on theT.V. They say there is weather coming in from the West. Surely the weather is there all the time be it good or bad, Fair or Wet.
They really mean adverse weather is coming in. Why not say that. This drives me daft every time I hear it. Also why is it that in England shires are always referred to as shares
Barkshare Northamptonshare, etc yet when talking of north of the border people refer correctly to Ayrshire Stirlingshire Aberdeenshire etc.,

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I always get a wonderful mental pictures of people wearing " 'gaitors" on their legs in wet weather.
Note -" 'gaitor" short form of the name of the alligaitor a reptile with big teeth found in
wet habitats
"gaiter" item of clothing worn on lower leg/foot in bad weather.......

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
I always get a wonderful mental pictures of people wearing " 'gaitors" on their legs in wet weather.
Note -" 'gaitor" short form of the name of the alligaitor a reptile with big teeth found in
wet habitats
"gaiter" item of clothing worn on lower leg/foot in bad weather.......

Well, actually it's:

gator - either of two amphibious reptiles related to crocodiles but with shorter broader snouts

or

gaiter - A cloth covering (a legging) that covers the instep and ankles

Remember this is a thread for pedants :cool:

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Risby wins the coverted "Which Tyler" Award......

The little known surreptitiously hidden award rather than a much coveted one??:) :)

The correct term is of course SHEATH.

I do remember when I was working on a horticultural project, one of my workmates refering to a sheaf knife. In that instance he was using it to refer to a sickle rather than a "knife" as we are using the term.

With regards to some of the other points raised in this thread I had a rather interesting experience. I work in a call centre, with some of our work being carried out by outsource centres in India. I took a call from one of my Indian collegues. She was having to pass a customer through to me due to the language barrier. She spoke to me in accented, though perfect English that I found perfectly easy to understand. She then passed the customer through, who went on to complain to me for five minutes about how these Indian call centres were full of people who couldn't speak English. He ranted at me in the roughest Scouse accent I've ever heard. Of the five minutes he ranted I understood about two minutes worth.

My personal bugbear of the moment is the high pitched, nasal/adenoidal vocal delivery adopted by the Burberry and shellsuit wearing "Yoof". Where has that come from. :banghead:

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
My personal bugbear of the moment is the high pitched, nasal/adenoidal vocal delivery adopted by the Burberry and shellsuit wearing "Yoof". Where has that come from. :banghead:

Janet Street Porter gave us Yoof TV in the eighties with programs like the TUBE and The Rough Guide (which featured a young lean Ray Mears)

Cheers Roy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE