Firesteel on sheath? yay or nay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is a ferro rod loop a prerequisite for a bushcraft knife sheath?

• Yes. It is part of the basic bushy knife package

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • No. I would prefer NO loop/firesteel on the sheath

Votes: 81 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm in the process of overhauling my bushcraft range of knives and I'm looking to ways of increasing the distinction between my 'Basic' and 'Pro' options. The first thing I have done is to limit the glow in the dark tritium to the Pro models, now I'm looking for your input (you are afterall the kind folk who I'm trying to sell these things to!)

Until now I have made a lovely wooden handled ferro rod and fitted it to the sheath of each knife. I'm now thinking of making this an optional extra at Basic level and standard in the Pro range. The main reason being that not only does the making of the firesteel take extra time and materials, but so does the fitting of a loop to the sheath.

So the question is this:

Do you see a firesteel a necessary (ie basic) part of the 'bushcraft knife' package?

I know many (most?) bushy knives have a loop for a ferro rod, or have one in place, but I don't know that many people actually use them? I get the feeling that most people use a seperate rod that they carry rather than the one on their sheath most of the time.

The question is two fold really. If I do need to fit a ferro rod to the sheath, then I could simply fit an off-the-shelf plastic jobby more cheaply than my handmade versions. So I could fit plastic to the basic and wood to the pro, but if I'm honest I would rather leave it off than go plastic and generic :yuck:

I can't contribute myself since I tend to use a gas lighter and a bottle of meths!

All suggestions and input is gratefully received, thank you :)

edit. Here are some images of what I currently do. The way I do it, I mold the leather around the turned handle rather than the rod; that way it stays tight despite use ;)

ferro_zps873c6f00.jpg
noferro_zpsb37b6123.jpg

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I find the firesteel holders unattractive and unhandy. Once it wears down and breaks of, it will often not even fit propely anymore. I like to carry it on a lanyard with a quick release hook, but that's just my personal preference, I'm sure there's people who do like the ferro rod loop, otherwise they wouldn't be around now would they?:)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive a foot in both camps but if you go plastic it would be a sin. If im buying a custom knife i would expect to be asked my exact requirements but if off the shelf then a choice would be nice. Tritium should be standard on everything as its soooo cool.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've tried both styles and no long use a loop on the knife sheath, if you actually use your ferro rod for its intended purpose, the rod becomes loose very quickly and can fall out and be lost. I keep my ferro rod in a tin in my pocket with the rest of my fire lighting bits and bobs, after all you're going to need more than just the rod and knife to start a fire.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
They are essential for the must have bushman-crafter knife set.. hm.

But I think they're meh.

They are better things you could incorperate into/onto a sheath while still keeping that desired tradtional look and not having overloaded like some tacticlol bear grylls type thing.

I reckon the steel holder could be put to better use, like holding a sharpening rod. This is one I made the other day from some scrap antler and a small ceramic rod:

DSCF3884_zps6a208feb.jpg

but otherwise I'd leave it without (or have a stone pouch on the front/back..).

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I also have a foot in both camps. Originally I didnt see the point on the knife, I just used to carry it separately in a tinder pouch. But Now I have one I like it, and sometimes I just take the knife & rod out without the tinder pouch so I can practice lighting fires with what tinder I find on that day. I just use a piece of elasticated cord in a loop through the handle end of the rod (most seem to have holes) and then just hook it over the other end of the rod to keep it in place when the rod gets worn.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No. It wears downand becomes loose, if you don't keep it beyond dry it corrodes, and if it's not tethered in the holder some way or other it falls out & catches on things.

It's one of those iconic sort of items though; and some folks think it's essential.
Commercially? I think you'd best be prepared to offer to fit one if required.

Just my 2.5p worth :D

cheers,
M

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Most is custom ordered is it not Dave?
Up to the customer in that case.
Nice to have it, good and low down, out of the way ( why don't more makers do this? )
Even so , I rarely use the one on my Green Man pro, nice to know its there mind you!
That is on a knife that is designed to excel at 'bushy' type work ( all your knives do to be honest! )
Don't have them on my other knives from you and don't overly miss it.

My best.

da C.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't have it on any of my sheaths now - but I did once. These days I like one tool for one job, end of. But we all go through the stage of wanting the clever multi purpose stuff, so your customers will want one.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I don't have it on any of my sheaths now - but I did once. These days I like one tool for one job, end of. But we all go through the stage of wanting the clever multi purpose stuff, so your customers will want one.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, I had a sheath made to hold a DC4, firesteel and my W/S woodlore a few years ago but now want things to be more modular rather than multi purpose. The other thing to consider is that I used to wear my knife on my belt but now I have it in a pocket or in my pack. As far as I am aware a firesteel is not (as yet) an offensive weapon so carrying it separately seems a good idea....:)

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
maybe a small box pouch attached to the sheath with a press stud fixing to close it, would be more useful for multi objects . ie small sharpening stone ferro rod and other fire lighting material or a compass.that is what i would like on my sheath anyway.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I voted no as I think it doesn't take long for someone who practices Bushcraft regularly to move on past using the Ferro Rod as a skill. I rarely use mine now unless I'm having a really bad day and nothing else is working. I still carry it in my pack as a backup though.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
maybe a small box pouch attached to the sheath with a press stud fixing to close it, would be more useful for multi objects . ie small sharpening stone ferro rod and other fire lighting material or a compass.that is what i would like on my sheath anyway.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nice as an option, and yours is a good site for it and the fitting around the handle rather than the steel is clever. But for me, I'm not too keen. Prefer it in my pocket or with my tinder stuff.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Voted No. After a while the firesteel doesnt fit.
This is mine. 3.5mm buffalo. Walnut dye. Walnut burl handle.
It has a flap over the handle, bronze press stud, with a patch on the inside to stop the handle being scratched, and a cut to size plastic sheath liner.
Which protects the welt, is more hygenic, and my blade slides into it with a satisfying click!
Still got the friction around the handle.
No frills. And the satisfaction of making it myself.

P1012154_zps5f4a5ed1.jpg
[/IMG]

Attachments

• P1012154.jpg
    P1012154.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TaigaStyle

Feb 24, 2013
Dalarna, Sweden
No. It wears downand becomes loose, if you don't keep it beyond dry it corrodes, and if it's not tethered in the holder some way or other it falls out & catches on things.

It's one of those iconic sort of items though; and some folks think it's essential.
Commercially? I think you'd best be prepared to offer to fit one if required.

I agree with these two, though I never went through a stage of using multi-purpose stuff. One tool for one job.

Keep it simple, stupid. Anyone remember that rule? :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE