Sharps confiscation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There are lots of threads on BCUK about sharps and the law.

How many here have been stopped and questioned about what they are carrying/have in back pack/have in car? How many members here have had blades confiscated ?

No 'my mate told me he..." stories please.

This is purely out of interest in reality and not 'it might happen if' just actual incidences of problems you have experienced or been witness too.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Never had anything confiscated. On one occasion we were camped and someone had seen us set up and rung the police. We had an axe, couple of knives, saw and an air rifle on site. Police came and asked us what we were doing, we told them, they looked about, saw the rifle, knives, axe, and bade us have a good evening. No problem whasoever. Turns out that because we had built a fire surround from stones, they took us as sensible people and had no probs at all. If the fire hadn't been contained and of a sensible size, we would have been moved on. But not once did they have an issue with the sharps or rifle.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Visited a museum in Washington, DC, once. Emptied my pockets to go through the metal detector and was told I couldn't take my pocketknife. I asked the guard if he'd hold it for me until I came back out. He said no and that it was over the city's length limit (which I believe was two inches) and that I'd be arrested if he called the police. I went back outside and buried it in a flower bed, which wasn't easy to do surreptitiously because there were crowds everywhere. Toured the museum, then dug it back up.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Visited a museum in Washington, DC, once. Emptied my pockets to go through the metal detector and was told I couldn't take my pocketknife. I asked the guard if he'd hold it for me until I came back out. He said no and that it was over the city's length limit (which I believe was two inches) and that I'd be arrested if he called the police. I went back outside and buried it in a flower bed, which wasn't easy to do surreptitiously because there were crowds everywhere. Toured the museum, then dug it back up.

Haha that's a great story:) I've never had anything confiscated either and I never leave my bed without a knife.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain

Damned restrictive US knife laws!

For me, never stopped and no problems.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Yes, several times.

1. When I went to Los Angeles once I was asked to put my EKA Super Swede in the hold (this was before the Twin Towers incident) and they provided an envelope for the purpose. Free service. I got it back.
2. When I went to France in the Jeep not so long ago they pulled me into customs on the way out of the UK and asked me if I had "any big knives". I said I had a Leatherman on my belt and showed it to them. They sent me on my way. I didn't mention the machete in the boot.
3. When I went to France on the bike not so long ago they pulled me onto customs and asked me if I had "any pistols with me". I said "Are you out of your mind?" and they sent me on my way. I didn't mention the Victorinox Super Tool on my belt.

Maybe I just look suspicious.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I once had a pencil case that housed my knife collection . When i was about 7 I took it to school for a show and tell . The topic was hobbies and collections . The teacher took it off of me till after school . And claimed that it went missing I never saw it again . I had one made of gold in there brought in egypt from a uncle . I wasnt happy then and I'm not now either . Thanks for reminding me Lol

Paddytray .;

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Some nice chap at Kingston court where I was getting some probate done asked if I had any sharps on me, yes I replied a Swiss army knife, not allowed in with that was his reply so placed it in a desk, coming out it was a hard job getting the knife back from him, he was augmentative and I had to stand my ground for MY knife.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Some nice chap at Kingston court where I was getting some probate done asked if I had any sharps on me, yes I replied a Swiss army knife, not allowed in with that was his reply so placed it in a desk, coming out it was a hard job getting the knife back from him, he was augmentative and I had to stand my ground for MY knife.

Should have asked for a receipt, may have just let you keep it.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
I had my swiss utilikey and my works issue opinel removed from me on my way into Bristol Crown Court to hand in my divorce paperwork.
The security chap was leaping up and down about the opinel (locking sub 3inch blade) when I requested the items be returned on my way out of the court. He basically tried to tell me that the opinel was "illegal" as it was a locking blade. A quick discussion about section 139, good reason, city councils risk assessment relating to knife use for my job and the inappropriateness of a non locker and he began to wind his neck in.
I eventually got my possessions back and made a note to leave anything vaguely sharp in the van next time I had to drop paperwork in!
Considering his position and his place of employment I was stunned at his ignorance of the law relating to knives.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I had my swiss utilikey and my works issue opinel removed from me on my way into Bristol Crown Court to hand in my divorce paperwork.
The security chap was leaping up and down about the opinel (locking sub 3inch blade) when I requested the items be returned on my way out of the court. He basically tried to tell me that the opinel was "illegal" as it was a locking blade. A quick discussion about section 139, good reason, city councils risk assessment relating to knife use for my job and the inappropriateness of a non locker and he began to wind his neck in.
I eventually got my possessions back and made a note to leave anything vaguely sharp in the van next time I had to drop paperwork in!
Considering his position and his place of employment I was stunned at his ignorance of the law relating to knives.

Where do you feel his ignorance was?

Surely taking the knife in was just as bad?

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Between is ears?
Got asked to leave leatherman at desk at UN building NY and given it back at end of my tour.
Asked to surrender same at local court but asked for receipt and it was returned.
Never had problem to, in or returning from woods.
A

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
His ignorance lay in his belief that locking knives were illegal to own, carry, use.... full stop. It took a great deal of discussion between him, his colleague and me to persuade him otherwise.

Was I ignorant in taking it in there?
On my first ever visit to a court to deliver paperwork no I don't think I was.
I was expecting to leave the papers at a reception desk or to post them in a letterbox not be ushered through security and into the main body of the building.
I was also "at work" and happened to be passing hence my "good reason" for carrying a locking knife and having it on my person.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I went on the London Eye a few years ago with my dad. Security asked if we had any knifes so I said no. Dad said he had a small SAK on his key ring. ''Ah so have I'' I said.
The security dude took them from us and placed them in a big box which was full to the brim with kids toy knives and swords, all plastic and wood kinda stuff.

I can still see my dad standing there looking in the box and shaking his head.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I had a filleting knife confiscated from me in London in 1999, I received a caution. I was stopped on the street in Soho at about 8pm. They asked me to empty my pockets. I had a small mag light and a swiss army knife in my pocket. I was accused of going equipped to burgle. I told them I had delivered some hand made furniture (beds) to a shop (which was true) & was just having a break before driving out of the city to sleep in the van. They took me back to the van, which was parked outside the Iranian embassy. Just where that female coppers hat came to rest, when she was shot dead. They made me open the van and empty my rucksack that I had left in the back of the locked van. The filleting knife was in a sheath, wrapped up in some old combat trousers in the bottom of my rucksack. I was arrested & put in a cell for the night. It was noisy, with all the hookers they kept arresting. They let me go about 3am and said if I wanted the knife back I would have to go to court. When I got back to the van the van door was unlocked and some street junkies was cooking up heroin in the back of the van. Police never even made my van safe when they put me in the back of their vehicle. Never again. I have the sister filleting knife in my campervan, in the cutlery draw, to this day. What do they want us to do, cook with plastic knives?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire

I could be wrong, and often am but I thought that no sharps were allowed on court premises no matter if they were sub 3" non locking or not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE