sealable no-see-um for under tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Happy New Year everyone.

I am looking for some recommends.

I am doing some camping in a tick and midge infested area and I wanted to shut the blighters (especially the lime-infested ticks) out from my sleeping area. I normally use a hammock with a no-see-um but this time the only option in floor dwelling down in the leaf litter.

I am looking for a no-see-um netting that can be rigged under a tarp but has a zip entry and a solid floor. This I would hope will stop too many of the blighters.

I took a cursory glance at the Granite Gear Haven which seems the kind of thing I had in mind but am wincing at the price. Does anyone have any ideas/alternatives?

603.1.jpg

Thanks

LBL

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
you need a travel hammock from dd hammocks which is what you want and also can be used as a hammock

www.ddhammock.com

drew

I was hoping to avoid getting a fourth hammock ;) I could do with a little more space that what this offers. I would like 'sit-up' and gear space. But I suppose its an option. Having it classically (and simply) hang under the ridgeline of the tarp I thought might be the most elegant option.

Last edited:

Rambling Man

Apr 10, 2010
SE England
How about the Go-lite shangri-la nest,425g,A-frame type set-up....i know your suppose to use it with one of their shelters but am sure you could adapt it?Been thinking bout getting one myself,and at 65 quid not cheap.....but cheaper than GGear!:)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You could make something yourself, with some mosquito netting and a zipper. suspend the top from a point on the underside of your tarp (only in the head end, the foot end you have a sleeping bag on anyway). Use stuff (boots, stove, axe, Mac Classic, whatever) to hold the corners out. I used an open bottom one (basically a pyramid) all summer in Sweden, since the tentipi allowed a bit too many mosquitos in for comfort.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Be aware that mozzie nets aren't effective against the midge. The holes are too big.

'Some' of the garden gazebos however have genuine anti midgie netting and it can be worth while finding a cheap one and using that to make your own.
Fabric is available by the metre from Pennine outdoors and Point North.

There's an American company that sell all three grades of anti fly netting, and they'll make to measure for you too.
http://www.mosquitocurtains.com/1-f...netting.html?gclid=CPmWkubznaYCFQSYpAod_HfXow
No idea what the Revenue would add on though :dunno:

If vision isn't a desperate requirement, then you could just use nylon lining, under £2 a metre. It's the same stuff that's used in tent inners.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE