sak fakes on ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
hi all first post in ages
i've got a sak huntsman and am sure it's a fake
could someone post a pic of what it says on the blade on theirs please
mine says swiss made not switzerland like the 4 others i've got
the main blade is about 1mm thiner and the saws not right
am sending it back but am just saying to watch out
their good fakes
but a fakes a fake ...karl

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I've got 4 Victorinox - 3 say 'Switzerland' (multitool, keyring, lockknife of some sort) and 1 says 'Swiss Made' (Officer, bought from Blacks in London)

Ian

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
One side of blade...Victorinox
swiss made
Stainless.

Other side Patented.

Rucksack model, 3 months old from Victorinox main dealership, not Ebay.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
hi all first post in ages
i've got a sak huntsman and am sure it's a fake
could someone post a pic of what it says on the blade on theirs please
mine says swiss made not switzerland like the 4 others i've got
the main blade is about 1mm thiner and the saws not right
am sending it back but am just saying to watch out
their good fakes
but a fakes a fake ...karl
The three I have with me right now all say
Victorinox
swiss made
Stainless

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Tadpole, I've just had a thought!! somewhere, I think on a 'Wenger' or 'Victorinox' website under "about us" I read that the knives are now made in the far east but that Swiss personell are at those factories. Could it be that Made in Switzerland would be seen as cooking the books, if in fact the knife was made elsewhere, but Swiss made would technically be correct if a Swiss was operating the manufacturing process, wherever the factory was situated. Just a thought...brain hurts now...need a rest..:D :D

pwb

Although I don't own a 'Huntsman' model I have various other Victorinox knives and they all say :
victorinox
switzerland
stainless
rostrfrei
on one side and either, officier Suisse or patented on the other.Here's a couple of pictures.

DSC01766Small.jpg

DSC01768Small.jpg

Might be worth a look at SOSAK's web site for extra info:
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Hope this is of help,

Pete.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I recently bought a Huntsman from 7dayshop. It says "Swiss Made" on the blade. It came in the standard box with the standard instruction sheet. The only thing different about this model that I can detect is that the scales are roughened for better grip which I think is an improvement on the old shiny scales. The quality and build are the same as other SAKs I've bought.

There are fakes on eBay but the ones I've seen are very easy for anybody familiar with SAKs to recognize as the quality is atrocious and the logo is different.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
.....The only thing different about this model that I can detect is that the scales are roughened for better grip which I think is an improvement on the old shiny scales......

Perhaps that's a new feature, as I've never seen that on any SAK, and I've just bought a Huntsman too, for my medical kit.

If you have any doubt, email Victorinox and ask 'em.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I bouoght a SAK huntsman from ebay (can't remember the company). When it arrived i asked around about if it was fake.

In the end i actually emailed the company and included photos of my huntsman.

It says Victorinox Swiss Made Stainless on one side of the main balde and Officer Suisse on the other.

The reply was in depth and confirmed it was in fact a genuine SAK Huntsman.

So if in doubt, photograph it and contact Victorinox, they're a nice bunch :D

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Perhaps that's a new feature, as I've never seen that on any SAK, and I've just bought a Huntsman too, for my medical kit.

If you have any doubt, email Victorinox and ask 'em.

I don't have any doubts, seems genuine to me and I like the textured scales, although they were a bit of a surprise when I took it out of the box. 7dayshop have been selling SAKs for years, I don't think they would sell fakes.

Here's a shot of the scales.

SakHuntsman.jpg

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Thanks for posting that photo Rebel,

I've never seen anything like that on a SAK, no mention of it on the Victorinox or Victorinox USA websites, can't find it on SOSAK either.

I'm intrigued!

There was some discussion in the US about 5 years ago, on the economy range, which had textured scales, though I doubt that applies.

I agree that the 7 Day Shop would only sell genuine gear.

Reckon you've got the most interesting Huntsman yet! (o:

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
sorry i have't posted i work nights
i took it to a shop that sells them if mine is real the QC must have been on sick
the stamps match up but-
the main blade is slightly thiner
and the saws slightly thicker?
also the saw teeth ave still got burrs hanging off right along
i can't see victorinox letting that go on sale
i just have a feeling it's not right
it's a case of don't buy what ya can't see but we all do it
thanks for your views and links on this

pwb

Thanks for posting that photo Rebel,

I've never seen anything like that on a SAK, no mention of it on the Victorinox or Victorinox USA websites, can't find it on SOSAK either.

I'm intrigued!

I'd also never see anything like it and like you did some searching around and found this on 'British Blades' :
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56919

Looking on Heinnie Haynes's site they carry a Victorinox economy range Huntsman at £19.95 and a standard Huntsman at £25.95 .
There must be some difference between them and perhaps that is why it has an unusual feel and look about it.

Pete.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Interesting. I looked at the thread and the knives on Heinnie then I looked at two of my SAKs.

It would seem from the scales that I do indeed have the "economy" model.

I have an original Camper model that is over twenty years old and I compared it with my new Huntsman. Interestingly the dividing metal between the tools is highly polished on my new knife and it is not on my old one (either that or it was and it is now so dirty that I can't tell :p), the opposite of what was described on the BB thread.

The tools on the old knife don't look any different. The corkscrew for example is exactly the same, there is a minor cosmetic change on the blade and the manufacturer's mark is the old one.

However the large blade on my old Camper has "Economy" stamped on one side of it so I guess I bought an Economy model all those years ago too, but it has shiny scales. The new Huntsman does NOT have "Economy" stamped on it but has "Officier Suisse".

I have another SAK somewhere, with shiny scales, so when I find it I'll compare that one too and see what the blade has stamped on it.

Anyway if I do have an Economy model, which I probably do although that wasn't mentioned anywhere on the box (which I've thrown away so I can't check), in the instructions or in the product description, then it is a real bargain in comparison to the "upmarket" version and comes with nicer scales.

It would be interesting to find out what the difference between the standard and economy lines is because I certainly can't tell. If it's just that the tools are more highly polished then I really don't care because mine will be scratched up in no time anyway and I prefer the matt scales.

pwb

If it's just that the tools are more highly polished then I really don't care because mine will be scratched up in no time anyway and I prefer the matt scales.

Couldn't agree with your thinking more. :approve:

Now I know there's an economy option available I know I'm tempted.
It is still a Victorinox after all and at a cheaper price, seems like a win win situation to me (speaking as a Scotsman) :D .

Cheers,
Pete.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I got a Huntsman and an AA Maglite, batteries and holster for £24:99, delivered.

The Huntsman is £19:99 delivered.

These are the Victorinox standard versions.

http://www.minitools.co.uk/

Mini Tools give a 10% off voucher which went towards a Leatherman Crunch {which was itself very well priced at £79:99 pre discount!}. (o:

I rate this company for good service and price, they're UK based too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE