SAK blade snapping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
As a kid, I saved my pennies and bought my first Swiss Army knife... a Hunter. Carried it everywhere and used it for everything, including a little minor surgery.

Being a dumb kid, I bent the tip of the small blade. Straightened it back as best I could. But it taught me a valuable lesson. Treat your tools well, even if you use them hard. And right tool for the right job.

Reactions: airborne09

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I think my Forester a Frame lock is sound and would need some serious stick to break.

If you break one send it to Burton McCall and it will be repaired or replaced

Reactions: scruff

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I broke the tip off my old locking SAK. I'd had it since my mid teens and it had coped with all kinds of stupidity and terrible efforts at sharpening. I can't remember how I broke but it was my own fault. My replacement now has a slightly bent tip and a cracked scale after I dropped it off a ladder. I should have stuck with the Farmer but wanted one with scissors.

Reactions: Ystranc and brancho

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I have broken 4 Leatherman wave multitools (all replaced by Whitby’s free of charge) and snapped a couple of Opinel…the only things I’ve wrecked on a SAK were the plastic scales...They also hold a better edge than Leatherman tools.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Horses for courses ! Depending what situation / environment people are in I think many people try to test their knives by overstretching their uses and of course a high percentage of failures or breakages with knives /SAKs are obviously the fault of the user , which is why if possible especially in a bush craft / survival / heavy camping environment a good hunting or bushcraft knife with a decent back up knife and if possible a small wood axe or hawk are essential .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE