Rucksack suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
:rolleyes:

Can anyone reccomend me a new rucksack.
I have been getting on fine for quite a while now with a snugpak rocketpack, but for extended trips I've come to the conclusion that i need a bit more space for things like a change of clothes!. The rocketpak is 70 litres all told. Ideally i'm looking for something with an additional 20-30 litres capacity.
So...any suggestions for a 90-100 litre pack? :)

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Marts,

What about an army surplus bergen, I agree with you the Rocket Pack is good but the capacity or certainly the arrangement of that capacity can be a little restrictive.

It you want a new rucksack rather than surplus maybe a Berghaus Cyclops Vulcan?

Regards

Stewey :D

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Marts said:
:rolleyes:

Can anyone reccomend me a new rucksack.
I have been getting on fine for quite a while now with a snugpak rocketpack, but for extended trips I've come to the conclusion that i need a bit more space for things like a change of clothes!. The rocketpak is 70 litres all told. Ideally i'm looking for something with an additional 20-30 litres capacity.
So...any suggestions for a 90-100 litre pack? :)

I'm not clear about what your system is.
If it's the 40lt rocketpach with 2 15lt side pouches making up the 70lt like this one
http://www.militarykit.com/products/sleeping_bags/snugpak_sleeka_rocket_pack_system.htm

and you get on well with the sungpak gear why not get the 70lt version
http://www.aakamilitary.com/snugpak_bergan_rucksack_green.cfm

Which ( this is worth checking ) should take the same side pouches.
That would seem to give you a lot of flexibility for the least little more outlay, eg 40 or 70 litre basic packs with 2 side pouches which could be used with either or alone,

I

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Cheers guys.

Glen - have you tried out the snugpak bergen. i've considered it before but someone warned me off it as uncomfortable. The other two look good suggestions, but at half the price the snugpak bergen seems to make more sense.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Marts said:
Cheers guys.

Glen - have you tried out the snugpak bergen. i've considered it before but someone warned me off it as uncomfortable. The other two look good suggestions, but at half the price the snugpak bergen seems to make more sense.

No I've not tried it, my 40lt one is a snugpak stamina, mainly as I got it cheaply off Ebay,

I'm thinking on the principal that what's uncomfortable for one may be comfortable for another ( and vice versa ) but families of packs tend to have similar properties. eg if you get on well with the 40lt ( +30 ) from one maunufacturers range there's a good chance of getting on with the 70lt ( +30 )rest of that similar range. As you've already got the snugpag side pouches that seemed like a good possible option for you as you end up with a flexible 100lt system while only paying for the 70lt part.

The only real way for comfort is to try it yourself.

For a larger one in future I was looking at Karrimor Sabre 60/100 ( with side pouches ) myself, but having discovered the bigger snugpag bergen I might end up reconsidering. Part of my critrea is having flexibility to take differing size packs depending on what I'm intending to do either would give me that, the karrimor does have bigger versions which there's a small chance I might someday need to go that big, but as you point out somewhat more expensive, especially when I'm contemplating getting a range of base packs.

Hi all,

I've done a lot of long distance walking and I've had quite a few rucksacks and bergens.

As my handle on this site suggests I've got a bit of kit :rolleyes:

kit_unpacked.jpg

My choice of bergen these days is 120 lt PLCE ( PERSONAL LOAD CARRYING EQUIPMENT ) Bergen. These come in several flavours and colours from olive, DPM and Desert Camo. These are great bits of kit - the side pouches detach and can then be attached to a yoke to create a patrol/rocket pack.

I was lucky to find a very heavily modified Webtex version of this - it has an internal radio pouch and a built in yoke. It was an end of production run for the SF's and is pretty rare.

I can get all my kit in there including a Moutain Equipment Torres 3 XT tent - which is a 3 man tent! :eek:

The bergen, with practice and patience pack up nice and neat and also allows for a 3ltr Camelbak to be attached: -

kit_packed.jpg

Of course the beauty of this bergen is once you've made camp you can use the patrol/rocket pack as a daypack - leaving all but essential kit at camp.

I would think nothing of having this bergen fully loaded on a yomp, but then again I love tabbing and I am a complete: -

kit_sign.jpg

Phil.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Hi all,

I've done a lot of long distance walking and I've had quite a few rucksacks and bergens.

All that kit - did I count six knives? several Bergens etc. etc.

But only one pair of boots!!

Surely you can find an excuse to pick up a spare pair? ;)

ilovemybed said:
All that kit - did I count six knives? several Bergens etc. etc.

But only one pair of boots!!

Surely you can find an excuse to pick up a spare pair? ;)

You can never have too many knives :lmao:

And it is only the one pair of boots. Having done the Pennine Way and West Highland Way carrying a spare pair of boots I learnt my lesson :nono:

Phil.

T

Tangiblesolid

Have you thought about the Lowe Alpine saracen? Nice big pack with adjustable back, built to usual Lowe Alpine standards and designed for forces use
Pockets zip together to make a day pack and it is sooooooo much more comfortable than plce. Size with pockets, about 130 litres

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi all,

kit_unpacked.jpg

My choice of bergen these days is 120 lt PLCE ( PERSONAL LOAD CARRYING EQUIPMENT ) Bergen. These come in several flavours and colours from olive, DPM and Desert Camo. These are great bits of kit - the side pouches detach and can then be attached to a yoke to create a patrol/rocket pack.

I was lucky to find a very heavily modified Webtex version of this - it has an internal radio pouch and a built in yoke. It was an end of production run for the SF's and is pretty rare.

I can get all my kit in there including a Moutain Equipment Torres 3 XT tent - which is a 3 man tent! :eek:

The bergen, with practice and patience pack up nice and neat and also allows for a 3ltr Camelbak to be attached: -

kit_packed.jpg

Of course the beauty of this bergen is once you've made camp you can use the patrol/rocket pack as a daypack - leaving all but essential kit at camp.

I would think nothing of having this bergen fully loaded on a yomp, but then again I love tabbing and I am a complete: -

kit_sign.jpg

Phil.

Hello Phil,

Lovely photo of the kit, and the bergan. Yes, you are carrying too much kit (But not much), and the sign it the photo is inappropriate :)

All the best,
Paul.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Spacemonkey said:
I would say check out the Karrimor Sabre 75 with side pouches.
Just won one of these on evilbay (with the side pouches) for £98. Bargain?

My 55 litre was a tad too small. Hopefully this should do the trick although I haven't got half as much kit as Too Much Kit To Carry :D

Pablo

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Hi all,

kit_unpacked.jpg

kit_packed.jpg

kit_sign.jpg

Phil.

I'm getting a vibe, fellow serviceman by any chance?!! It's often handy to be able to make up half of the kit by using stuff issued to me, I suppose there has got to be a perk to the job somewhere!! If we asked for woodlore knives as essential bits of kit to be issued for the war on terror, do you think Tony Blair would comply?!! :D

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Marts,

I've got a Berghaus Vulcan that I've been using for quite some time now, it's very comfortable, well made and large enough to carry everything I think I need to take with me. The PLCE ones are OK but the internal frame has a nasty habit of breaking at the rivets/joints. Both Karrimor and Lowe Alpine make excellent bags, best advice is definately try before you buy mate. ;)

Brian

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Spacemonkey said:
Oh yes, a bargain indeedy. Mine is about £185 with karrimor's side pouches, and a few dollars more for the Snugpak yoke. You'll love it....
Thanks. I was getting a bit nervous about the price.

Yeah I'll need a yoke. Which ones will fit?

Cheers

Pablo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE