Could you please recommend me a rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Hi,

I just started finding some outdoor activity clubs and got registered for one. It is a woodworking club and there are lots of helpful people there. So I am quite excited. I went there yesterday for registration and induction. I used my plastic gym rucksack and quickly realise that it is too small and fragile for the job. So, I need some recommendations for a good rucksack as I am not familiar with the scenery when it comes to loading carrying.

I tried to list my requirements below, please let me know if there is anything missing for good advice.

1- I have no idea about the prices for a good rucksack. But I do not require it to be the cheapest or the most expensive with all bells and whistles. I have not dedicated a budget for it, but for a good one which lasts for a good long and would make me happy, I could pay up to £100. Perhaps a bit more if there is something very good close to that price point.

2- It has to be flexible in terms of use. I will mainly use it to carry my carving gear which is a hatchet, a couple of carving knives, a bushcraft knife in a leather sheath, a couple of spoon knives, and perhaps a couple of gouges in the future, pocket boy 170, a ruler and a few pens. I will also use it to carry 750-1000mm water in a bottle, lunch and snacks (a couple of sandwiches and perhaps a few snack bars), my ridgeline smock (in winter most likely), and some spare top clothing and socks.

3- It needs to serve as the main carrying solution for a day hiking (for two) or bushcraft day out (for one person). For hiking, it should hold 1-1.5 litres of water, lunch and snack for two, a couple of waterproof tops and some spare socks and tops. For the bushcraft day trip, I am not too sure as I have not done this before. Perhaps you could tell me better what I need for a day bushcraft activity. If possible I would like to have something flexible and modular so I can attach/store the sleeping arrangement and extra meal/gear if I decide/need to change day trip to two days trip.

Thanks for all the help.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It sounds like perhaps a good military canvas or cordura pack would suit you. I think that given the weight of the items you want to carry and the potential for cutting/puncturing the pack, canvas would be ideal as it is easily repaired. Also a decent carry system with well-padded straps would help as you add more tools!!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The real one has just 34 litres capacity.
Enough for me until 0°C, but I own pretty compact equipment. I get in there all what's needed for several month long journeys.
It has ski tunnels under the side pouches.

There is a similar Norwegian army surplus rucksack on the market. It has a frame and is heavier, available in cotton or nylon.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hi,

I just started finding some outdoor activity clubs and got registered for one. It is a woodworking club and there are lots of helpful people there. So I am quite excited. I went there yesterday for registration and induction. I used my plastic gym rucksack and quickly realise that it is too small and fragile for the job. So, I need some recommendations for a good rucksack as I am not familiar with the scenery when it comes to loading carrying.

I tried to list my requirements below, please let me know if there is anything missing for good advice.

1- I have no idea about the prices for a good rucksack. But I do not require it to be the cheapest or the most expensive with all bells and whistles. I have not dedicated a budget for it, but for a good one which lasts for a good long and would make me happy, I could pay up to £100. Perhaps a bit more if there is something very good close to that price point.

2- It has to be flexible in terms of use. I will mainly use it to carry my carving gear which is a hatchet, a couple of carving knives, a bushcraft knife in a leather sheath, a couple of spoon knives, and perhaps a couple of gouges in the future, pocket boy 170, a ruler and a few pens. I will also use it to carry 750-1000mm water in a bottle, lunch and snacks (a couple of sandwiches and perhaps a few snack bars), my ridgeline smock (in winter most likely), and some spare top clothing and socks.

3- It needs to serve as the main carrying solution for a day hiking (for two) or bushcraft day out (for one person). For hiking, it should hold 1-1.5 litres of water, lunch and snack for two, a couple of waterproof tops and some spare socks and tops. For the bushcraft day trip, I am not too sure as I have not done this before. Perhaps you could tell me better what I need for a day bushcraft activity. If possible I would like to have something flexible and modular so I can attach/store the sleeping arrangement and extra meal/gear if I decide/need to change day trip to two days trip.

Thanks for all the help.
Things to help you narrow down your search:
Gather all the stuff you would want to carry with you and stuff it in a bag for life or similar. That will tell you what volume backpack you will need. Add a little bit extra for ease of rummaging around.

Pick out the things that you definitely want to have in a separate pocket. How many and how large do they need to be?

Are you using water bottles or a hydration bladder?

Zipped main compartment or draw string and lid- which do you prefer?

Do you have a tall, short or average torso?

What colours and materials do you like?

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Thanks for all the help. I did bit of reading and watching on net as a result of the suggestions here, and it seems like Karrimor sabre series is well regarded as a reliable and flexible system. I like the fact that it is modular so side pockets with different sizes and shapes could be added if needed.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think the Sabre 45 is a very good all round rucksack for all and everything apart from winter camping.

Reactions: Murat_Cyp

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't forget you are carrying it. There's a brand called crux that still the AK range of sacks that's known to be very tough but still light sacks with a good carry.

Don't mistake the traditional, thick, cordura sack fabric you see on tougher looking sacks for actually being tough. Not saying they're not in the sabre system but you can get some lightweight fabrics with kevlar ripstop reinforcement that's probably tougher. I have a 20 plus year old 50 to 65 litres berghaus alpine climbing sack that's 1.1kg and can carry 28kg load as comfortably as you can expect anything to. It's had tough use including sliding down climbing routes with only slight wear at the points the metal alloy x bars slot into the fabric at the bottom edge of the back system.

BTW if you ever see a berghaus alpine extrem sack from 20 plus years ago in good nick for sale get it. They're good sacks ime.

If not crux sacks perhaps. More expensive but very bid if they fit you.

BTW try any sack on with the sort of weight you intend to carry in them. A good shop will have weighted bags for different volumes of sacks that you can add up to be a typical load weight in the sack your trying on. There's so much to go wrong with fit that you need to try it on loaded. Back length, load carry, contact points, load stabilisation, load distribution between hips and shoulders, back contact (airflow or full contact back), adjustable back system, etc. The simple way to get it right is loaded test carry in a store.

Reactions: Murat_Cyp

Tributary

May 3, 2021
Herefordshire
If you can get hold of one, then the Lowe Apline Sting or Stingray are excellent pieces of kit. 60 litres makes it a touch larger than the Sabre (maybe too large for your needs) but there is always room for more kit if needed! It has an adjustable back system to make it suit your size, and I've found this is handy when carrying lighter or heavier loads. They are hard to come by these days in Olive Green, but surplus Dutch DPM are still very affordable at £30 (https://www.militarymart.co.uk/products/lowe-alpine-sting-r-dutch-army-dpm Just a link to demonstrate, no affiliation etc)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
About this size I wrote recently in that thread below, but there are several very interesting other options too, more expensive or rather rare.

One can get a Sting with side pouches always in Holland, but the British ones fit as well if it's a second generation model.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Lowe Alpine Sting is nice but it is too large and heavy for my intended purpose. It is a shame though as the price is quite good.

The suggested lightweight, modern and durable rucksacks are mostly out of my price ranage.

I will keep my open to see any of the suggested rucksack appears in the sale section.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Dutch Strike?

Reactions: Tributary

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think that you should buy two rucksacks.
1. A day pack for town use and a short walk. This here:

2. A serious 3 seasons hiking rucksack.
The Dutch army Sting.

The reason is, that you have to spend quite a lot of money to compress a complete hiking equipment into a 35 litre rucksack. It's possible but the stuff is expensive and if you aren't used to be outdoors it's nevertheless limited to 5°C or even higher temperatures and like this you would spend a lot of money for an equipment that you can only use during the summer half - year.

There is nearly no difference if you pack your rucksack for a single night in the woods or a journey of six month. Because it's sensible to carry some spare clothing for a single night but not sensible to take much more than that for a very long tour.

I recommend you to get a good all purpose 3 seasons equipment that you keep packed in your all purpose rucksack, the Dutch Sting, ready to go if the weather suddenly is fine and it's weekend or you suddenly have to discover that the idiot below you did ignite his apartment.

And to carry a bit stuff around in town you take the black British army daypack. Best quality and a bargain, but too small for a single overnighter if you select robust and durable but very cheap available military surplus equipment

The only other options that I see are the German and Norvegian army rucksacks that I mentioned above but if you want to pack that with a durable 3 seasons equipment you have to put the Sleeping bag on top of the flap. And like this you perhaps already over loaded it.

I can pack like that and use that. But I own the right stuff and am strong and used to that. To do it like this is outdated.
The Sting is the far better option.

The 34 / 35 litre rucksacks have to be packed like this if you don't own the best lightweight equipment.

The guy here packed what was carried in there in his military time. Mess kit, bottle, mug, stove etc. were carried in a belt pouch or directly attached to the belt. That isn't a complete bushcraft equipment here, but it's the German version of the stuff that you can get very cheap from the British army.
And that's why I recommend you to buy a larger rucksack, the Dutch army Sting for hiking in Britain.

Listen to him! If he speaks later in the video about the equipment inside the vocabulary is nearly identic. You will understand the important parts. The rest you can see or guess.

But the stuff that you need to pack is more, approximately this, or even more in the colder month:

Rucksack Dutch army Sting, used
Sleeping bag
British army light and medium weight sleeping bag with liner, new.
(Of course you just take with you what's needed in the season.)
Bivvy bag, British army, MTP, new
(Sleeping bag in bivvy bag stuffed to the bottom of the rucksack.)
Army closed cell foam roll mat, British, used is OK. (Outside under the flap)
Military poncho, used German army, or British army shelter sheet MTP or better DPM in good condition, (right side pouch)
Cordage
2x 3 metres to tension it as lean to shelter, and 1,50 metre to make a tripod.
If you don't have cordage, don't take the everywhere recommended Paracord, unless you get the real one used and cheap, for Example from Endicotts.
The better choice is Edelrid Multicord SP 2,5 mm orange. It's far better and especially far lighter!

Fleece jacket Solognac Fleece Recycled 500 or similar
in a dry bag (7 litres Ortlieb PS10) as pillow too, together with
Spare underwear 1X
Briefs and T-shirt, cotton.
Woolen spare socks 1X
Swimming briefs 1X
(That goes on top of the sleeping bag in the main compartment)

Toilet paper in a zipp lock freezer bag
(Top pocket)
Wash kit
Folding tooth brush, tooth cream, biodegradable soap in a small bottle (Sea to summit body wash is refillable! Large bottles from the organic food shop) and disposable razor (Wilkinson's orange don't break) wrapped into a small microfleece towel (Nabaji size S black) and stored in a zipp lock freezer bag. Plastic signal mirror for shaving.
(In utility pouch)

Food
in the
Mess Kit used from the Austrian army
(Left side pouch together with knife and spoon. The mess kit in a plastic bag!!!)

Field bottle, 2x ,British army original Osprey 58 pattern, available in Britain new and cheap.
BCB Crusader mug, stainless steel, uncoloured. New or used doesn't matter.
(Plastic bag around the mug!)
British army MTP bottle carrier pouch 2x used, Fits into the loops on the belly of the rucksack.
British army MTP utility pouch 3x , used, for wash kit and other small stuff, also mounted on the belly of the rucksack
(You have a place for everything and always everything in its place, easily accessible.)

British army folding stove, used.
Spoon stainless steel from the flea market
Candle In a zipp lock freezer bag, a few drips of wax can be used as a fire starter
Bic cigarette lighter, orange
Head lamp
Petzl e+lite

ON THE MAN:

Hiking boots Schladminger 100
Woolen Socks British army arctic, new
Underwear
Trousers or shorts,
polyester-cotton blend, Solognac Steppe 300 and Shorts 100 are cheap and good. Austrian army too.
Handkerchief , cotton
Several times folded usable as pot holder and pre filter before water purification by boiling. New or used military surplus, because olive.
Purse
House
keys
Bic lighter,
red
Belt Solognac 100 or similar
Knife, Morakniv Garberg stainless steel with leather sheath

T-shirt
Shirt

Buttoned long sleeved shirt with two pockets and flaps over it. For example Austrian army, heavy version KAZ 75 used.
Compass Suunto M-9 or whatever you have
Topographical map
1:50 000

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aiguille Alpine Equipment are also worth a look: their stuff is robust, reasonably priced and with uncluttered designs. The fact that it's also made in the U.K. is appealing, too.
I got one of their sacks made for me. After discussing with the owner I got invited upstairs where they make them to pick fabrics. That was after selecting bag designs. He suggested some features from one model about 25 or 30 litres and another about 45 litres. Both different uses and features set. He then made it 6" longer. Result is a tall, thin rucksack that's completely unique. Simple alpine climbing sack with tough fabrics on wear points and lightweight fabric in less critical places to reduce weight. He reckoned the extra length turned it from about 40 litres to 65 litres. It carries a big load well but is only 1.1kg for such a size that's q good weight. Cost me about £25 more iirc than the base bag it was customised from. That was about 12 years ago. Oh and it's a sober black colour.

Reactions: Tiley

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
I think that you should buy two rucksacks.
1. A day pack for town use and a short walk. This here:

2. A serious 3 seasons hiking rucksack.
The Dutch army Sting.

The reason is, that you have to spend quite a lot of money to compress a complete hiking equipment into a 35 litre rucksack. It's possible but the stuff is expensive and if you aren't used to be outdoors it's nevertheless limited to 5°C or even higher temperatures and like this you would spend a lot of money for an equipment that you can only use during the summer half - year.

There is nearly no difference if you pack your rucksack for a single night in the woods or a journey of six month. Because it's sensible to carry some spare clothing for a single night but not sensible to take much more than that for a very long tour.

I recommend you to get a good all purpose 3 seasons equipment that you keep packed in your all purpose rucksack, the Dutch Sting, ready to go if the weather suddenly is fine and it's weekend or you suddenly have to discover that the idiot below you did ignite his apartment.

And to carry a bit stuff around in town you take the black British army daypack. Best quality and a bargain, but too small for a single overnighter if you select robust and durable but very cheap available military surplus equipment

The only other options that I see are the German and Norvegian army rucksacks that I mentioned above but if you want to pack that with a durable 3 seasons equipment you have to put the Sleeping bag on top of the flap. And like this you perhaps already over loaded it.

I can pack like that and use that. But I own the right stuff and am strong and used to that. To do it like this is outdated.
The Sting is the far better option.

The 34 / 35 litre rucksacks have to be packed like this if you don't own the best lightweight equipment.

The guy here packed what was carried in there in his military time. Mess kit, bottle, mug, stove etc. were carried in a belt pouch or directly attached to the belt. That isn't a complete bushcraft equipment here, but it's the German version of the stuff that you can get very cheap from the British army.
And that's why I recommend you to buy a larger rucksack, the Dutch army Sting for hiking in Britain.

Listen to him! If he speaks later in the video about the equipment inside the vocabulary is nearly identic. You will understand the important parts. The rest you can see or guess.

But the stuff that you need to pack is more, approximately this, or even more in the colder month:

Rucksack Dutch army Sting, used
Sleeping bag
British army light and medium weight sleeping bag with liner, new.
(Of course you just take with you what's needed in the season.)
Bivvy bag, British army, MTP, new
(Sleeping bag in bivvy bag stuffed to the bottom of the rucksack.)
Army closed cell foam roll mat, British, used is OK. (Outside under the flap)
Military poncho, used German army, or British army shelter sheet MTP or better DPM in good condition, (right side pouch)
Cordage
2x 3 metres to tension it as lean to shelter, and 1,50 metre to make a tripod.
If you don't have cordage, don't take the everywhere recommended Paracord, unless you get the real one used and cheap, for Example from Endicotts.
The better choice is Edelrid Multicord SP 2,5 mm orange. It's far better and especially far lighter!

Fleece jacket Solognac Fleece Recycled 500 or similar
in a dry bag (7 litres Ortlieb PS10) as pillow too, together with
Spare underwear 1X
Briefs and T-shirt, cotton.
Woolen spare socks 1X
Swimming briefs 1X
(That goes on top of the sleeping bag in the main compartment)

Toilet paper in a zipp lock freezer bag
(Top pocket)
Wash kit
Folding tooth brush, tooth cream, biodegradable soap in a small bottle (Sea to summit body wash is refillable! Large bottles from the organic food shop) and disposable razor (Wilkinson's orange don't break) wrapped into a small microfleece towel (Nabaji size S black) and stored in a zipp lock freezer bag. Plastic signal mirror for shaving.
(In utility pouch)

Food
in the
Mess Kit used from the Austrian army
(Left side pouch together with knife and spoon. The mess kit in a plastic bag!!!)

Field bottle, 2x ,British army original Osprey 58 pattern, available in Britain new and cheap.
BCB Crusader mug, stainless steel, uncoloured. New or used doesn't matter.
(Plastic bag around the mug!)
British army MTP bottle carrier pouch 2x used, Fits into the loops on the belly of the rucksack.
British army MTP utility pouch 3x , used, for wash kit and other small stuff, also mounted on the belly of the rucksack
(You have a place for everything and always everything in its place, easily accessible.)

British army folding stove, used.
Spoon stainless steel from the flea market
Candle In a zipp lock freezer bag, a few drips of wax can be used as a fire starter
Bic cigarette lighter, orange
Head lamp
Petzl e+lite

ON THE MAN:

Hiking boots Schladminger 100
Woolen Socks British army arctic, new
Underwear
Trousers or shorts,
polyester-cotton blend, Solognac Steppe 300 and Shorts 100 are cheap and good. Austrian army too.
Handkerchief , cotton
Several times folded usable as pot holder and pre filter before water purification by boiling. New or used military surplus, because olive.
Purse
House
keys
Bic lighter,
red
Belt Solognac 100 or similar
Knife, Morakniv Garberg stainless steel with leather sheath

T-shirt
Shirt

Buttoned long sleeved shirt with two pockets and flaps over it. For example Austrian army, heavy version KAZ 75 used.
Compass Suunto M-9 or whatever you have
Topographical map
1:50 000
Thanks for the detailed and very helpful reply.

I think it would really make sense to buy smaller and larger bags separately as I might not even enjoy carrying around the relatively smaller (compared to Dutch Sting) Saber 45 with only a few small items in it (i.e. my carving tool kit and my lunch).

At £30 I would not mind buying that recommended army rucksack. It should offer plenty of space for my carving sessions and potential day hikes with my partner. Also, even when I decide to buy something like Dutch Sting, the amount I have spent on both bags would still be in my price range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE