Rspca

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I have had dealings with the R.S.P.C.A. who removed four of my dogs from my home, (back in Dudley, 15 years ago) when i was out. After numerous phone calls i finally managed to talk to the person who had removed my dogs. She had to admit they were in very good health but didn't know when they would be able to return them.

After the threat of legal action they were returned the next day.

I think it is important to remember that just because they wear a uniform don't be impressed, they are only civilians. I almost feel sorry for any R.S.P.C.A officer that knocks on this door as i would kick his erse all the way back to the gate.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I reported the animal home we got our mentally disturbed cat off to our local council animal health dept. They were very helpful. The same dept has just prosecuted a local councilllor for the state her sheep were in, so they do take action, not bribes.

I dont touch the RSPCA. Whenever I have rung them up in past, they either do nowt, or they said they will put the said animal down. I dont buy the "they are a good charity".

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I don't think they do any more - they are no longer an animal welfare charity, they are a political campaigning organisation that only deals with cases that suit their agenda.

As a general rule I am sad to say that I agree with you.

Some of the money they have wasted trying to bring prosecutions against legal hunts is eye watering. Somehow you don't hear the same thing about hare coursing, badger baiting or dog fights.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have no time for them at all. 2 years ago there was a pregnant cat that stayed in our garden, it just turned up one day, after she gave birth she vanished but left at least 1 kitten here, RSPCA were contacted and we were told to leave it alone as the mother was still near by, they did advise us to put out some food and water for it though which we did. We phoned them every day to say that the mother hadnt been seen and that we were worried about it, they just said to leave it alond and feed it. 3 days later I opened the front door to find the kitten dead near the door step, when we told them they said there was nothing they could do. To say we were angery is an understtment.

Our opinion of them was low before, with their pomous attitude with the pusdo police uniforms and rank. Now there are no words strong enough to describe or feelings towards them

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know they do a good job in some areas,

I don't think they do any more - they are no longer an animal welfare charity, they are a political campaigning organisation that only deals with cases that suit their agenda.

They do some good in one area Hugh... their animal hospitals. Hospitals, not rescue centres.

My friends cat wouldn't be alive were it not for the fact that she was able to get treatment for free at one and I know of other similar stories.

The rest of your statement I totally agree with.

Don't forget folks that the RSPCA do not have a legal right of entry even if they like to act as if they do.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Possibly Steve - but I suspect the PDSA or other animal charities save far more animals per pound donated. The animal saving is a very thin veneer on the RSPCAs politics now.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
The RSPCA has morphed into an animal-rights organisation along the lines of the fanatics in PETA, more motivated by a detestation of people than a love for animals. Their enthusiasm for destroying healthy animals suggests to me that there is a feeling in the organisation that domestic animals are somehow 'collaborators' with the hated humans.

The Blue Cross gets my money.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Do you guys really believe this is a reflection on the RSPCA this is a classic tale of a worthy organisation being mutated into a society based waste of time with there hands tied in every way they have had no choice but to become a worthless face of a once commendable group of dedicated people

Have a good hard look at society and the rules we allow our government to emplace regarding human rights before casting stones the RSPCA worked for 160 years and within the last 20 they are not the same

As regards to wrong accusations I bet they get it right more than wrong we are after all human and to be human is ??

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Do you guys really believe this is a reflection on the RSPCA this is a classic tale of a worthy organisation being mutated into a society based waste of time with there hands tied in every way

If they're entering property illegally and making off with puppies whilst the owners are out, their hands don't seem very tightly tied to me. You or I do that and we'd be up before the beak for theft, rightly so. And it's got nothing to do with 'society' if they choose to spend vast sums on hunting prosecutions whilst putting questionably-seized pet animals down citing lack of funds to care for them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The RSPCA is not and has never been, an arm of government - it is a private body run by its members. Its transformation into a political campaigning body instead of an animal welfare charity has nothing to do with government and everything to do with the agenda it is pursuing.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
If they're entering property illegally and making off with puppies whilst the owners are out, their hands don't seem very tightly tied to me. You or I do that and we'd be up before the beak for theft, rightly so. And it's got nothing to do with 'society' if they choose to spend vast sums on hunting prosecutions whilst putting questionably-seized pet animals down citing lack of funds to care for them.

would imaging they are smart enough to get you to sign over the animal, quite how the pit of paper would hold up in court once your solicitor explains it was signed under duress and false pretences is anyone guess..

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
would imaging they are smart enough to get you to sign over the animal, quite how the pit of paper would hold up in court once your solicitor explains it was signed under duress and false pretences is anyone guess..

I was quoting from the article linked to, the 'inspector' jumped a fence when she knew the owners were coming back, and made off with the puppies. In the end the owner was cleared of all charges and presumably had her animals returned, if the RSPCA hadn't killed them first by way of taking care of their welfare.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've been involved in horse welfare and rescue for many years and the last people I or any of the other fellow workers want to see at the site of a rescue are these lot - they're truly awful, concerned only with their own image and fund raising activities I'm not going to go into the many horrific examples I could give, and back up, firstly 'cause they're too numerous to mention and secondly 'cause they're truly unbelievable and often bring back memories of things I'd rather not think about.

These people think of nothing but themselves and their current take on the state of their finances and will seriously destroy anyone or anything that gets in their way: This may seem to some as completely over the top but I can assure you this is all based on many years experience and literally thousands of contacts with them - and I'm ostensibly on the same side!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It's very hard to find anyone with a good word to say about the RSPCA these days sadly. Like that article suggests they take a very heavy handed approach to animal welfare when helping the owners is often a lot more appropriate.

I called them about an injured horse that needed help. They had no interest in the animal but phoned continously asking for donations in the months afterwards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE