Rough Close ~ March '11

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
as phil said stove and fule is one item

Nope, you said it ~ I just quoted you :p .

so jerry can bricks and wood one item

But I did say:
As ground fires must be raised and contained a fire box/jerry can/bbq shouldn't count as an item

so jerry can bricks and wood one item

If you're counting the use of bricks and wood as part of a wood burning combo item, does that mean poles/pot hangers/pegs sourced/made on site count as items and cannot be used if you have your allocated 15?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm in for this one, work permitting. I shall be limiting my kit to just 4 items (assuming a full rucksack counts as one item.................) Oh, plus tent, so that makes 5 items.

Decorum
MartinK9
Mesquite
Snarf (tbc)
TinkyPete (TBC due to work)
Sasquatch
dave53
Karl82 all 3 nights
Elines (TBC)
Man of tanith
John Fenna
Andy T
Dr Jones
Cliv
Twodogs ( arrive Sat am )
Muddy Boots arriving friday
Andy2112 (Sat am)
Ratbag + Ratbag Junior - arriving Saturday
Andy BB (TBC)

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
no if you make a pot hanger on site its not counted as a item as you did not carry it in with you you used your bushccraft skills and made it on site. if you however carry it in it counts.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
So the crusader mug is your boiling vessel and eating vessel.

Will you only be cooking only what you can cook in the mug, or going off and having a 3 course slap up elsewhere (using only the mug of course) whilst you toast you tootsies around someone else's fire?

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
no if you make a pot hanger on site its not counted as a item as you did not carry it in with you you used your bushccraft skills and made it on site. if you however carry it in it counts.

If you go for a dump how does that count then?

Technically you carried it in but also made it there?

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
fair comment on no ground fires phil, fire box and brix or bbq will count as one item if you bring in the wood as you brought in fule. if you source wood on site it wont count as no ground fires are alowed i did not take that into account sorry my mistake.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
ok i have reread my original post and i wasent clear on the drink part meaning coffe and such added to water so im going to take Daves point its drink and take it off the list as a item so now the mended list is.

1:pack
2:tarp
3:hammock
4:rollmat
5:underblanket
6:sleepingbag
7: methsburner + fule as my original post this is one item no pots included or alowed.
8:firesteel
9:spork
10:crusaidercup
11:Knife
12:Head torch
13:first aid kit [no items in the kit that are not to do with first aid]
14:wash kit [no items in the kit that are not to do with persional hygine]
15:chair

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... if you source wood on site it wont count as no ground fires are alowed i did not take that into account sorry my mistake.

No worries ~ just fleshing the idea out :cool: .

When you say 'fire steel' do you mean flint and steel (with pouch) or ferro / mische rod? The first requires greater skill ~ and needs coal extenders (hence the pouch being mentioned).

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
ill be useing a ferorod as im useing meths but a traditional pouch i think would count as one item as its the same as a modern lighter just req alot more skill.

PS im off to get food and go to bed got a early and long day again tomorrow so i will answear any more question/queries when i get on tomorrow.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

13:first aid kit [no items in the kit that are not to do with first aid]

You've put the FAK back in. I thought you were classing it as safety equipment ~ in theory, it's the one piece of kit that you take with an intent to not use.

Last edited:

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
hopefully i shall be there, pending funds as im trying to get set up for my sponsord hike/camp.. this would be my first meet but would love to meet you all so fingers crossed i shall add my name when i know for definate. not sure i could do the 15 kit bit though this time of year if i did it would mainly be clothes and scotch. oooo scotch dont count ;)

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Hey i got away from work earlyer than expected so only 10 hours today yipy. anyway back to the topic at hand.

1:pack
2:tarp
3:hammock
4:rollmat
5:underblanket
6:sleepingbag
7: methsburner + fule as my original post this is one item no pots included or alowed.
8:firesteel
9:spork
10:crusaidercup
11:Knife
12: ?
13:Head tourch
14:wash kit [no items in the kit that are not to do with persional hygine]
15:chair

right for thouse that want to take part in the 15 item kit challange at this meet the rules are.
1. no food or drink counts towards the 15 items.

2. your stove dosent count if you useing a wood burner and source the wood on site as no ground fires are alowed. however if you bring in wood it dose count. any detached grills pot hangers brought on site with you count as extra items. if pot hangers are made form matreials gathered on site they dont count towars the 15 items.

3.washkit counts as one item [ only items related to hygine alowed. no hideing a spork/lighter exerta]

4.first aid kit dosent count as its a must with sharps.

5. traditional fire starting kits only count as 1 item such as flint and steel and tinder or bow drill and tinder.

6. your clothes dont count towards the 15 item.

7. items bought or traded at the meet dont count as you have to test your new bit of kit out :) Quieting Phil [ if you end up with an extra knife, so what? But if you process loads of wood with a newly bought saw (or axe) then, unless one was on your list, you might seem to be cheating .]

8. if you have new kit or want to try new method of doing something by all means bring it and test it, it wont count as part of the 15 items.just dont bring a lighter matches and blow tourch and say you testing new methods of fire lighting becouse you will only be cheating yourself on testing yourself as to how little you realy need.

thank you Phil for pointing out that i put the FAK was back on the list i was wreked at the time and i was in much need of sleep, Neil im prob going to do boil in the bad and noodle meals and such like for food, i will be more than happy to share someonen else's firebox for warmth at night :) :campfire:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE