rose mountain fire piston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
now I've not had much luck with fire pistons. the one i made didn't work and the one 3please got off the net we couldn't get to work. so i was a bit skeptical about getting one until i found the ones Kelly rose makes. i thought if it don't work it still looks good and i can use it as a preset to dispatch rabbits:D

it took nearly three weeks to get to me so when it eventually got here i was eager to try it out.
as soon as i got home and saw the package i riped it open, and with in a minuet i had a glowing ember at the end of the fire piston. it worked first time.
so for the next hour i set about trying different tinders in it. it worked with all the types of char cloth i had, even the ones of poor quality which didn't work with flint and steel, and it even lit cramp balls OK as well.

heres some pics of the piston and the bits it came with.

cheers mark

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thanks for posting. That is a very pretty thing. I like.

I'm tempted to have a play with fire pistons. The all brass units look a good place to start, but seem a little too industrial for my liking. Looking at that one I suppose I could play in brass and add a turned wood sleeve if I get on with it.

My rubbish eyes are telling me that it has a rubber O ring as the seal, along with a little bag of spares, correct? For the benefit of a fire piston novice what is that on the lanyard? Looks like a tool of some sort.

Have fun.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
yes it has an o ring, gets really good compression.
the tool is an antler pick to help get the hot ember out the end of the piston.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE