RM Alan Wood Knives on Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Non-Bushcrafters profiting from RM knives

• It's unfair to other people on the waiting list

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • If they don't mind waiting fair enough

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • It provides a service as you don't then have to wait

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • If people are daft enough to pay 700 quid, good luck to 'em

Votes: 184 89.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Falkniven prices have just shot up because of the low pound this doesn't make them a better knife'If you buy a knife just for it to gain value then it's not a knife anymore ,it's just an investment,the same as gold or a rare car.

I was going to comment on that. Fallknivens have indeed risen quite considerably in price. I bought my H1 in 3G quite cheap close to 2 years ago. Does it make me a better man in the bush? No. Does it have status attached to it? Yes. I didn't buy it at that time because I wanted to look better or become a better bushcrafter, I just needed a good knife.

Those who can sell the knife for 700 quid are smart, those who buy it for 700 are stupid. those who buy it for 700 then use and abuse it are the dumbest of the lot.... IMO.

Paul.

Oct 20, 2009
tunbridge wells
do we buy a knife for its usefulness or cachet. my clipper and leuku does what I need it to do.
often we get caught up in one upmanship and chasing the next best thing.
a knife is just a knife really i am a ray fan but have no desire for one of his knives.
a knife is just a tool nothing more or less.......................

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
This is a none-thread. Yet again, more divisive comments. We get worked up about things we can't afford and then 'do them down', and criticise those who can afford to buy them. For example, 'It's not fair - Woodlores are too expensive, but I wouldn't want one anyway because my [insert other maker's name here] is better and it's cheaper'.

We then bang on for a while until someone says 'My Mora only cost ten quid and it's better than all your knives'. This is inverse snobbery, is it not? We're starting to get towards Monty Python territory ('My knife is made from tin foil with a mud handle and cost me 5p', '5p?!? Luxury, etc, etc').

Replace the phrase 'Woodlore knife' with 'Picasso painting', 'Harry Potter 1st Edition', 'Faberge Egg', etc, and lots of people are prepared to pay more than the original RRP for a rare item. It's called 'collecting'.

There are thousands of other things we could be discussing on here but there is always a thread on how expensive Woodlores are.

Frankly, if I bought a Woodlore, I wouldn't advertise the fact on here because of:

a. The amount of flaming that I'd get

b. The number of people who feel they had to tell me how good their Mora is and that it cost less than a tenner.

Gaaarrgghhh! :cussing:

:D:D:D..... very astute observation and a good humoured way of looking at this...

If you own one of these and other knives to compare it with....

100_0022_2.jpg

They are a good knife but so are others...you need to use them though to figure this out...and if the greater love is "using" them than "collecting" them...then maybe selling them on to help fund a trip to Canada or Scandanavia or wherever your dreams take you in terms of "bushcrafting"....well that's no bad thing...but maybe you prefer to keep it and derive as much pleasure using it locally and enjoy the pleasure of owning it...again no bad thing....it's all a matter of idividual choice...with no real "right" answer...save for what "works best for you"....

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Anyone waiting to buy a Woodlore is waiting to buy a badge, simple as that. You can get an Alan Wood knife, every bit the equal of a woodlore, direct from the man himself at a lower price and a fraction of the waiting time. You can buy a woodlore clone from a bazillion different sources, so why the 10 year wait?

Because they absolutely have to have that knife with that logo.

It has nothing to do with function or performance and everything to do with marketing.

So is buying & selling them at a huge profit unfair to those waiting? Of course not, they are all badge-traders and are all playing the same game.

If you need a good knife that will do everything, buy yourself a Mora for £20, everything else is about want, not need.

On that point, I'm delighted to see that the vast majority of people who voted in the poll, chose the "free market economy" option, rather than the communist model of economics outlined by option 1.

If you want a BMW, then you have to pay BMW money. Lots of people cant afford them (including me), that's life. But if you force everyone to sell their cars at a fixed, low rate, then BMW's wouldn't exist at all and we'd be driving in a sea of fiat punto's. If there is a flaw in this analogy, it's that a BMW is actually a better car in almost every respect than a fiat punto, whereas I think you would be hard pressed to show in any meaningful way how a Woodlore is actually better than a Mora.

But you pay your money, you take your choice, that's what makes this a varied and wonderful world. :)

If you are on a Woodlore waiting list, the first sensible thing to do when you get your knife, would be to sell it for a vast profit, pocket your initial investment, buy a clone or similar and take the wife out for a meal with the change ...and why not? :)

Last edited:

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Mortalmerlin

I was watching a new RM Alan Wood knife going on ebay for 700.01 GBP and was wondering what others thought about people sitting on the Woodlore waiting list with what seems the sole intention of listing their knife on ebay for a profit.
I'll give you an answer, just as soon as I get a respose to the questions I have posted about the Woodlore in a new thread here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65188

To be honest, I'm not holding my breath whilst I wait :lmao:

Kind regards
Mick

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
At the risk of being unpopular i would say that the RM woodlore is a commodity the same as any other, and if i could find someone to pay me £10 for my belly button fluff they could have it lol. What I'm saying is they aren't doing anything wrong at offering the blade it just makes me think Who would pay that amount for one??

Dave

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Are you alowed to buy from ebay dot com if regsterd in the uk? if so cool!, for my two peneths worth, who am i to slate some one for the knife they buy\want or dream of owning, personal choice is just that.

Have fun guys, and take care of each other,

Southey(25th anny woody owner\user:p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE