RM Alan Wood Knives on Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Non-Bushcrafters profiting from RM knives

• It's unfair to other people on the waiting list

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • If they don't mind waiting fair enough

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • It provides a service as you don't then have to wait

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • If people are daft enough to pay 700 quid, good luck to 'em

Votes: 184 89.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
I bought a Woodlore a while ago, second hand, not ebay mind you! after using a lapp puukko for so long it took some getting used to. now though, its like an extension of my hand. fits me perfectly, Even so there are points i'd change. Looking at SWC, Bernie and all the others sometimes i wish i'd gone for one of those.

Luckily i didn't pay over the odds, and its a damn good tool, but if someone wants to pay silly money for one, there's always someone who is willing to charge that much for a woodlore.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
If people want to pay the sort of money that these knives are going for,great.

It's their money and the trade will keep a skilled craftsman in work for as long he wants to do it.

The people who want a good, servicable tool and not an "investment" have several other knife makers (including our Bernie) to buy from. The knives themselves are just as "pretty" and may even be better in hand for quite a few people.

So I can see no problem at all with the silly prices on ebay.:p

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
If people want to pay the sort of money that these knives are going for,great.

It's their money and the trade will keep a skilled craftsman in work for as long he wants to do it.

The people who want a good, servicable tool and not an "investment" have several other knife makers (including our Bernie) to buy from. The knives themselves are just as "pretty" and may even be better in hand for quite a few people.

So I can see no problem at all with the silly prices on ebay.:p

My point is that the makers don't get the money. It wouldn't be so bad if they did.

I am not complaining about the cost of the kinves or if they're worth it. I have a couple of 10 quid Mora's and they are fine for me.

My point is more the people who are profiting from it to the tune of I would guess about 1000%* for doing nothing other than making the waiting list that bit longer.

The maker slaves away for several days making it. The retailer has staff to employ, sites to maintian and stock to buy. The Ebayer just opens the bag, snaps a pic and cashes the cheque.

* I guess for 270 retail they buy in at < 200 which probably means 40-50 GBP profit for the maker. Case in point was a knife sold for 700 GBP.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
My point is that the makers don't get the money. It wouldn't be so bad if they did.

I am not complaining about the cost of the kinves or if they're worth it. I have a couple of 10 quid Mora's and they are fine for me.

My point is more the people who are profiting from it to the tune of I would guess about 1000%* for doing nothing other than making the waiting list that bit longer.

The maker slaves away for several days making it. The retailer has staff to employ, sites to maintian and stock to buy. The Ebayer just opens the bag, snaps a pic and cashes the cheque.

* I guess for 270 retail they buy in at < 200 which probably means 40-50 GBP profit for the maker. Case in point was a knife sold for 700 GBP.

What's the problem if the maker is happy with the price he's getting?:confused:

Mr Wood is at liberty to put all of his excellent knives on ebay at whatever price he chooses. The fact that he chooses NOT to do so is his business.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Ebay automatically advertises and promotes his products, just like theis topic and post promoting ebay. I don't see adverts on Tv for woodlore knives.

It's a niche market product just like Morgan cars and other products with waiting lists.

Nick

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ignoring the "Is that knife any better than another of roughly simillar design" factor for a minute..

I honestly can't see the problem with people just buying them to make a profit, its what shopkeepers throughout the land do and its governed by supply and demand, the more the demand the higher the price can go because someone just wants that knife NOW.

The only bit I don't really understand is Alan Wood himself, can't be the sharpest tool in the box if he knows his product sells for hundreds more than he sells them for but still keeps doing it anyway.
Unless has the sense to bung one on Ebay himself every once in a while and stick a massive price on it to attract/maintain interest. That way even if it doesn't sell he's doing a very good job of advertising his product.

Personally I try and get the best money for the work I do (it keeps the roof over my families heads) and if it gets to the point where theres so much work out there and people specifically wanting me I put my prices up, if theres not much work out there I can't command as higher price and the amount I charge lowers accordingly.
If you can't meet the demand for your product, put up the prices till the demand tails off to the point where you are just busy and that way you make the most for your effort.

The very fact that this discussion comes up on here as often as it does is proof positive that theres lots of people out there that keep hitting Ebay with the search criteria of *Alan Wood* or *Woodlore*.

Lots of people looking for one creates demand, so the prices are high because of YOU and many others wanting one.
Get over it and buy another (perfectly acceptable) knife, theres enough to choose from.

Surely there can't be that many people struggling with the concept of supply and demand can there?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
The only bit I don't really understand is Alan Wood himself, can't be the sharpest tool in the box if he knows his product sells for hundreds more than he sells them for but still keeps doing it anyway.
Unless has the sense to bung one on Ebay himself every once in a while and stick a massive price on it to attract/maintain interest. That way even if it doesn't sell he's doing a very good job of advertising his product.
As I understand it, The 'woodlore' is a Ray Mears design - Alan Wood probably has agreed a contract to supply x number of knives to Woodlore each year at a fixed price. The same Contract probably bars him from selling that design of knife himself, or using the term "Woodlore" in his sales blurb.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
When i were a kid, survival knives were huge great things with 12" blades, saw backs, hollow handles with compasses in the top and a needle n thread stowed in the handle. And im not just talking about those plastic handled ones that snap as you take them out the packet, but expensive, quality knives. Nowdays things have completely changed, but whos to say where things will be, when a woodie buyer gets near the top of a ten year list? Im sure theyll always be worth x amount on the quality and functionality alone. but in 10 years time, who knows what the collectors will be fighting over

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's a bizarre thing but, if you order one of Alan's stainless bushcrafters, you'll get it significantly quicker than you will a Woodlore. It is essentially the same knife, though obviously not in 01, and has a choice of materials for the slabs. The blade remains pretty thick (a major criticism of the Woodlore for quite a few) but you get the much vaunted Wood quality and status without the wait or the daft ebay prices. The only thing missing (for those for whom these things are important) is our Ray's alter ego, 'Woodlore', stamped all over it.

I got mine a few years ago. It's in RWL54 with black liners and a giraffe bone handle. It's great to use for most things except those more delicate carving moments. In those instances, I reach for either a Skookum Bush Tool (now, there's a knife and a half...) or one of Ben Orford's Pixies. Now, Ben is a helluva good knife maker and a thoroughly decent bloke to deal with... (No connection etc. just a happy bunny).

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As I understand it, The 'woodlore' is a Ray Mears design - Alan Wood probably has agreed a contract to supply x number of knives to Woodlore each year at a fixed price. The same Contract probably bars him from selling that design of knife himself, or using the term "Woodlore" in his sales blurb.

A valid point that I had not considered, cheers.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
This post more about the need to re-familiarize myself with how (or perhaps not!) to post an image from photobucket so forgive me if I stray slightly from the point.

As suggest elsewhere, and assuming you can survive the woods with a piece of kit that does not sport the Woodlore logo, why not order an Allan Wood version of Ray's knife and only wait 2-3 years?? As already mentioned it is not perfect but then what knife is for all chores? Yes, the blade is uncomfortably thick when when used to unzip a deer, using the two-fingers inside the gut method, but that has been it's only failing for me.

Just a thought.

Oh, and HNY to you all

K

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d46/klenchblaize/aw.jpg

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
This post more about the need to re-familiarize myself with how (or perhaps not!) to post an image from photobucket
aw.jpg
nice knife!

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
A second very contented Ben Orford customer here - just got a gorgeous woodlander in 3 mm stock. Handle slabs picked from some figured ash found in the piles of slabs in Ben's shop. The knife had that feel you get from the very occaisional boots or clothing - an immediate comfort which means you've found a keeper. I persuaded Ben to put a DC3 pocket and a dangler on the sheath. A very solid, well made, well handling knife that is going to be used and used for many years. And as mentioned in some other thread, it seems a little unfair that Ben is such a nice guy, is really far too good at all he does and still remains so likeable! I'll have to start saving again for one of his parangs!

I tried a fatter-handled 4 mm woodlore shape and just found it too heavy and cumbersome for my hands. What on earth are people doing with their knives that requires 4 mm stock anyway? I've yet to break a clipper and I've never been particularly kind to them. For me, owning a woodie would only be as a display piece and that is just wrong for a working knife. Also, if I can get a better fitting knife, to my spec, sooner and for less, then why chase anything else? Owning Ray Mear's knife will not make me or anyone else into Ray Mears.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I personally think in this situation that started the thread is wrong but it is unfortunatly the way of the world. Then again I don't buy at stupid prices like this even for craftmanship.
I think this is a deeper problem of society I mean art for example, artisits produce works of art that usually pay for a loaf of bread and a few nice things to live on then a number of years after they are dead there works gets sold for thousands but the money and profit goes to the seller and not the originator.

I think the same will go for woodlore knives ;)

I guess they will become a classic kife turn in to a collectors item, never be used only stored in a cupbored somewhere..prices in the thousands.. ;)

Best thing is not to make it a classic refuse to join the long queue of sheep and buy a item that is usful not becasue it is endorsed but becasue its value for money and does the job well. This way there is no supply and demand no artifical prices raising and so on and so forth..

Ok back to my coffee ;)
:wow1:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I contacted a custom knife maker after seeing a model which they had made, I requested details of the sizes, blade and handle materials relevant to the model but was informed that no such information was available!

Rather than be advised by the maker, whom has the expertise, the maker would only state that I could have the knife made to any size and with any materials that I wanted, yet would not provide ANY information in order that I could make an informed decision on which size or materials to use.

Perhaps their business strategy was based on the Monty Python Cheese Shop Sketch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE