Red's onion soup - bulk process!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Got 250 square feet of them in right now Tony - I am a convert to the overwintering "Japanese" onion sets - they get off to a flying start in the Spring and can be harvested from May. This year we are also overwintering some we started from seed in the Autumn - by way of an experiment. They are doing fine, but given the unseasonably mild weather I'm not sure we can conclude too much from that :).

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Quick question about your canning - are you using standard Kilner jars, or some other special containers?

Glad it was helpful - this batch is for my wife - she works away and I also like to ensure she eats well. :)

Standard Kilner jars with the two part lids. Pressure canned at 10lbs for 55 minutes in half pint or pint jars. I have a thread on here on pressure canning techniques if it helps. Ambient stored soups generally need pressure canning rather than water bath canning as they don't have enough salt, acid or sugar to inhibit bacteria.

If you get into canning its worth importing a proper canner from the US - and a supply of lids since lids are cheaper there.

You can just freeze the soup of course!

Any questions, shout.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad you enjoyed it gents. Growing onions from "sets" (like small bulbs) is about the easiest form of gardening there is. You don't even need to go to a garden centre, Wilkos sell onions sets and they work just fine :)

On another forum this week, someone linked to this - growing a good crop of onions on your windowsill!!

http://auntiedogmasgardenspot.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/growing-onions-vertically-on-the-windowsill/

If anyone wants any help with growing onions (or anything else), do shout - growing your own food is about as rewarding a hobby as I know :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE