Red's onion soup - bulk process!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We grew a LOT of onions this year

Onion Harvest by British Red, on Flickr

Not all will last long enough to use in normal cooking - so we need to use some up.

Now BB is working away a lot and loves onion soup - so I decided to bulk process a load for her. Clearly you can adjust the recipe to the amount you want - but it can create the best kibbled onions, a freezable soup - or in our case - canned soup. Now I don't like to boast - but if Carlsberg made onion soup :cool:

You will need
20 large onions (or two small for each large)
150ml of olive oil
125g of butter
4.5 litres of stock (chicken or veg - your choice)
salt and pepper

That's IT!

So grab your onions

20 Onions by British Red, on Flickr

Peel them

Peeled Onions by British Red, on Flickr

Don't forget the skins make a great dye (or compost :lmao:)

Onion Skins by British Red, on Flickr

Put the oil and butter into a large stock pot

Butter and Oil by British Red, on Flickr

Halve them lengthwise, cut into 1/4" strips and then cut the onions into the size of length you like. I make some 1/4" and about a third into 1" lengths to give that long strips in the soup

Chopped Onion by British Red, on Flickr

Put on a high heat and fry hard for ten minutes to release the juices stirring frequently

Cook Rapidly by British Red, on Flickr

Get your stock ready in another pan

Chicken Stock by British Red, on Flickr

Lower the heat and cook the onions gently for around an hour stirring occasionally. Watch for them to change to a golden colour

Golden Onions by British Red, on Flickr

Raise the heat to medium, stir frequently and cook the onions down to a rich brown, dryish mush

Caramalised Brown Onions by British Red, on Flickr

At this stage you can freeze or dry the onion mush. Its flavour is incredible - the most oniony onion taste in the world. Dry it for the most amazing kibbled onion, freeze it, add it to cheese on toast (trust me on this)...all sorts. Or you can add stock to it and make soup :D

Stock Added by British Red, on Flickr

Bring this to the boil and simmer for 30 mins stirring occasionally. The stock will soak up all that intense onion flavour

Simmer as soup by British Red, on Flickr

Now can most of it in whatever size you like - 55 minutes for half pints and pints, 75 minutes for litres - 10 pounds of pressure - keep a good bit back though

Onion Soup Can for 55 minutes at 10lb by British Red, on Flickr

Now bake a quick loaf

Homemade foccacia by British Red, on Flickr

Take the crusty ends off, grill them and float them in a bowl of soup. Grate some cheddar over the lot and flash under the grill

Croutons & Melted Cheese by British Red, on Flickr

Sit, chill, enjoy

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Has to be the simplest soup in the world Steve - but each pint of soup has half a gallon of finely chopped onions in it - it really gives the taste buds a workout. I think a proper onion soup is one of those things where you just need to take your time! Consider it part of the "slow food" agenda ;)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I like onions but onions don't like me. I'd blow my ******** out of my underpants if I ate any of that soup.

• Haha
Reactions: Poacherman

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Never realised how little went into onion soup, but then you make this all look so easy. Going to have to try this.😛😀

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never realised how little went into onion soup, but then you make this all look so easy. Going to have to try this.

It really is that easy - just takes time. I guess not many people will invest a couple of hours in a bowl of truly great soup anymore....but I like this forum because people here will invest more than that in a spoon!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its just a garlic, sea salt and rosemary focaccia (using up the garlic and the rosemary is still going mad) - twenty minutes in the oven - about the simplest loaf I know (and you can knock the dough up in a bread maker or Kenwood if you like)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Looks great. Damm hungry now it's going to have to wait now till later. What would the quantities be for a less grand/bulk scale. How long would the soup keep for if just kept in a airtight container.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just go 4 onions, 30ml of oil, 25g of butter, 900ml of stock.

That will do a soup that serves 4 for a starter or two for a main course. It'll keep for a few days in the fridge - but you can freeze it too

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Looks great Hugh :). Might have to try that as we have loads of onions in the storage shed down the allotments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE