Red's onion soup - bulk process!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks Red :approve:

But I think I may have dug myself an interesting hole. I (perhaps stupidly) read the recipe out to swmbo .... and heard a very quiet voice say "I really like French Onion Soup .. "

Hint taken :D and I guess I know what I'm doing on Tuesday :rofl: .

She also likes my Carrot and Coriander and Butternut Squash Soups :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find a glass of claret helps the onion slicing decorum

then of course there's all that cooking time....and the bottle is already open :)

I'll write it into the recipe if you like? Then you're blameless - just following the recipe

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I find a glass of claret helps the onion slicing decorum

then of course there's all that cooking time....and the bottle is already open :)

Unfortunately I have to forego alcohol now :( , fortunately I never was a big drinker and don't actually miss it that much :D ~ so I'll leave the claret to swmbo :D .

Might need to rediscover a source for Original Norfolk Punch.

I'll write it into the recipe if you like? Then you're blameless - just following the recipe

:rofl:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
owww... I just love onionsoup! With a piece of bread and some molted cheese on top....
What other ways of conserving onions are there, apart from drying or pickling?
Can they be frozen or conserved in those glass jars?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I opened the thread with trepidation. My mind was saying "if he hasn't got those onions to a mahogany brown then it ain't onion soup". Well done mate :)

Amazing how 20 onions leaves you with a lump the size of a cricket ball isn't it?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah the shrink is incredible - six litres of chopped onion down to probably half a pint in size - its stunning - but of course with a similar magnification in concentrated flavour :)

I've had a few shockers myself masquerading as onion soup - but once you've had it done right (which is a slow job), you always know - as you do clearly!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well BB rather liked the soup (she is working away a lot at the moment and takes it for lunches). That fact combined with the warm weather meaning that the onions are not keeping as well as normal led to to a long day today - a 40 onion batch. Started at 10, finished 12 hours later. House smells nice though :)

Canning by British Red, on Flickr

Canned Onion Soup by British Red, on Flickr

Could do with a bigger cooker at times :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You too ? :)
I want one of the big six ring and a flat plate girdle one, with a double set of ovens and a raising and plate warming shelf, but himself points out that the kitchen's no' big enough and there are only three of us in the house :rolleyes:

Nice looking bit of productive effort there BR :D

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You too ? :)
I want one of the big six ring and a flat plate girdle one, with a double set of ovens and a raising and plate warming shelf,....

Me too. Dreaming of a commercial quality stove; and if possible, I'd add a wok burner!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Very nice Red although to be honest I use beef stock in mine.
e

Glad I read the thread through before commenting. i was gonna say that's one of the two differences I see.
1. It's more common (universal I think) to use beef stock here
2. The onions are rarely if ever cut that small here; usually cut to rings.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Great job BR. You gave me some ideas. Not only is the soup good to eat as is, but if you're doing it to preserve the onions, then it's good to remember that onion soup is also a good base or flavor enhancer for other recipes.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Looks like we'll be planting more onions this year :D We usually hang them in the garage but because it's so warm that's not working out as well as years past.

Thanks for taking the time BR

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I love recipes and food like this. As I am away a lot during the week, I spend most of Sunday afternoons making soups/stews/stoups like this for the other half so she has access to quick, tasty, nutritious food whilst I'm not around. Thanks for sharing your recipé, I now have my inspiration for this Sunday's adventure.

Quick question about your canning - are you using standard Kilner jars, or some other special containers?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE