Recommendation for basic air rifle for rabbiting or maybe survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
Not sure this is the right forum , but I am looking to get a good basic air rifle for rabbiting and when the oil runs out survival. Any suggestions ?

cletus

Sep 9, 2010
leeds
e up mate most air rifles are sound for hunting just stick to a well known make. 10ft lbs-12ft lbs is more than enough the main thing is get as much practice as possible and know your limits.

Dec 13, 2010
Lancaster UK
I hope you have a permission, cause generally unless you have a place to shoot with the land owners permission you are committing a fire arms offence.
Also you cannot take it out bushcrafting unless you are on the permission and I doubt many permission owners (farmers mostly) will let you camp.

But if by oil you mean, hydrocarbons then your not going to do dammage to anything other than rabbits and small birds..

Air rifle wise to be honest it's down to how much you want to spend. And where you are in the country by that I mean prices vary depending where you are. I'd be tempted to get a Wiehrauch HW35 but at the other end of the scale a SMK XS20 aren't bad either..

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
I've got an SMK QB79 C02 powered rifle. I bought an adapter to allow it to take 12g CO2 bulbs rather than the larger bottles it uses in stock form. The benefit is that it is very light, and being CO2 no recoil as well as being quite quiet. c 20 - 25 shots per CO2 bulb. Good fun gun, accurate (fixed barrel) and cheap - I paid £60 (about 2 years ago). It's bolt action to load which is kinda fun too.

I also have a Gamo CFX Royal - heavy, well made and accurate (fixed barrel, underlever action), but a noisy spring and I have a diret cheap SMK break barrel - £30 new - works ok, stock was nearly orange varnish so stripped it and oiled it.

The QB79 is my favourite.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
but I am looking to get a good basic air rifle for rabbiting and when the oil runs out survival. Any suggestions ?

There are a few million "real" guns in the UK, plus millions of airguns. The total rabbit population of 30-40 million will be wiped out in the first weekend, as every wannabe hunter descends on the countryside. If you're serious about being prepared, learn how to grow food, because the UK could only support a few thousand "hunter-gathers".

But back to your air rifle. Weirauch are excellent and will last a lifetime. Mount a scope, but keep the irons just in case you damage your glass.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
If you want a rifle for 'survival situations' then stay away from CO2 or precharge guns, get a spring powered gun, doesnt need recharging. Also if you can shoot straight with a springer, you can shoot straight with a precharge.
Get a gun with fixed iron sights, learn to shoot with them first, then add a scope. Start shooting with basics then add kit. A rifle with no iron sights and just a scope fitted becomes no better than a club if the scope gets broken.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE