really big tarp? how much and where?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I've just done a sucsessfull 5 weeks bushcraft demos under 3 brit army tarps joined end to end with 2 goal post type pole arangements, like so:
2HeartseseJuly09.jpg

the last demo there was loads of blustery wind, and firelighting was hard work, as any ember was blown away! :banghead:

i reackon if i can put a back on the shelter it might just work.

the other option is to use a truely huge tarp, probably canvas/army issue with arched front and domed to the floor at the rear like this with at least 15ft across at the bottom and 7 ft tall
army-20tents_10608398_250x250.jpg

I dont paricullaly want an army tent as i know they are huge when packed, more just a canvas sheet big enough to do the above

The other idea i like but have no experience of is a traditional arabic desert tent lwhich are known to do well in wind (sand storms) ike this:
99.jpg

any views or ideas?
(obviously i have to consider rain also)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe try and source a truck tarp from somewhere Rich, they're not cheap to buy brand new but if you know any drivers who might be able to help it could be something to think about.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
One of the guys at Swift Valley had the largest Auscam Tarp I have ever seen, it was gargantuan! Maybe you should look at getting a baker tent style tent knocked up to your own specifications.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
What about a parachute? If you're doing demos then it'll draw people in, only issue is hanging something to hang it off. £25 on evilBay

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi Rich

I actually know a guy locally who make things to order, as for prices you would need to speak to him.

Off now for weekends canoeing pm me monday and I will give you details

D:D :D

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
another shout for andywink i have got a few of his tarps, they rock and will make them to order, sure there will be a few up in the trees at middlewood in oct (no dout he will have a few for sale somewere as well if you ask nice)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE