Ray fan arrested for killing pigeon to eat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

A criminal record does not exclude one from holding a Shotgun or Section 1 Firearms Certificates.

No it doesn't however when he applies for a firearms certificate and they look at his criminal record they will see that he's not got a very good track record when it comes to dealing with wildlife.

It will be down to the local firearms officer to make a judgement call.

That's why I said probably.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
It sounds like he did not know the difference between the city birds & their country cousins. Some people think there is only one type of pigeon, horse etc.. At the end of the day he got knicked for doing something stupid (i.e. choice of weapon and doing it in front of shoppers), was convicted with a small penalty to pay & had lots of bad PR (which is likely to punish him more long term than the small fine),

Interesting that city birds are feral 'racing' pigeons & indistinguishable from protected Rock Doves. Would not want to eat one unless things got very bad i.e. 30 days later stuff.. even then i bet you could find something better in a tin.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
That wasn't the case as he had to wring it's neck as well. So not dead quick smart at all.

Step forward any shooter who hasn't had to finish off a pigeon that's been pricked?
No one?
Thought not.
It's a bloody winged rat not a panda, get some perspective people.
Much much worse happens in your actual nature, this might have been unpleasant, the lad may well have deserved a boot up the bottom but it isn't crime of the century.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've eaten pigeon several times when I was in China. They mince it and spice it up somehow. It's pretty good actually.

I think I'll get my son's skateboard and bag a few tomorrow. :naughty:

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
I have to say that whilst I don't condone what he did, it's hard to see how it's much more cruel than snaring or trapping rabbits.

I'm not condeming folks who trap/snare simply making a comparative observation.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
quote - It's a bloody winged rat not a panda, get some perspective people.
Much much worse happens in your actual nature, this might have been unpleasant, the lad may well have deserved a boot up the bottom but it isn't crime of the century.

Lurch, who decides where the line is crossed, its well known that a lot of nutjob serial killers and the like started off with what you called "isnt the crime of the century"

Too many people try to justify this because it was a flying rat, to me it is worse, the killing of an animal shouldnt be judged because it is cute or anoying, it should only ever happen if it is neccessary to feed ones family or is a serious danger to ones self, and lets be honest how many western people really have to go out hunting with a scateboard to feed their family or are attacked on a daily basis by an animal, not many i suggest.

It saddens me when i see matters of animal cruelty joked about, be you, as some one said earlier in the post a "tree hugger or giant carnivore" it doesnt matter, the more you joke about this, the more credance you give some halfwit who has a cruel streak in him to think it is ok to do unspeakable acts to innocent animals.

Now i know this forum will have both animanl lovers and the hunting faction on here, but i think it is important to respect others belief structure, guys try to show a bit of maturity and respect for others beliefs,

This story comes down to one simple question, was what this guy done to this bird and the way he did it right or wrong?

In my opinion it was simply wrong, he wasnt treating this animal with any respect, and i feel that most hunters would agree that although they hunt animals they always try to show respect to their prey and act with a certain amount of dignity in their dealings with all things nature..

Colin

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
I refer the right honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some posts earlier:
"He deserved a boot up the bottom"
I think that should answer your question.

Have to agree with this. I'm no tree hugger but had I seen this bloke whack a pigeon with a skateboard, my immediate reaction wouldn't have been "now that's the art of bushcraft, what a novel way to feed your family in times of economic hardship".

In fact my first reaction would have been to introduce his bottom to the pavement; alongside my fist and his nose. Only as a pure afterthought would I then have asked him if this was the urbanised version of bushcraft.

Naturally this would have got me arrested instead!

My only hesitation is that the chap was French and out of all of us I bet he could use his Gaelic French cuisine to turn the disease ridden flying trash rats into something tasty..possibly involving Garlic perhaps????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE