Ray fan arrested for killing pigeon to eat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Just one more example to me, as to why i head to the woods so often, to get away from these sub humans.

Thousands of years of evoluion and what have we developed into - an intelleget species who has clearly used all his brain power available to him and come to the conclusion that its ok to bash an innocent birds brains in with a skate board.

Call them what you want - flying rats ect ect - it just doesnt make it right....

I see too many of these stories these days, hardly a day goes by where you cant find a story about some kid setting fire to a cat or sticking a firework into some helpless family pet where the sun dont shine, I sometimes really am ashamed to be a human being, no other species acts in this way out of shere spite......

No wonder these so called "townies" were upset at seeing this, if you saw this happening and took enjoyment from an act like this, in my opinion youve got serious issues in your life......

Colin.....

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
You need to look carefully in the Bushcraft Survival DVD extras. Ray carves a skateboard from a length of cedar wood using a crook knife. Apparently the technique was used by aboriginal tribesmen in the Exeter area for hunting feral pigeons.

Personally I find scooter works much better, you can get a great swing using the handle. Needs a length of hazel to fashion the handlebars though.

Has anyone had any hunting luck using roller skates carved from pine?

Ha.. ha.. ha.. ha .. that sure has cheered me up after a day of watching kids doing on screen ALAN tests. Someone with my sense of humour:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
On a more serious note, are pigeons in the towns the same species as the wood pigeon so beloved of farmers?.

As Lurch says, this was a feral the others are woodies. No way in hell would he have been able to get close enough to a woodie to hit it with a skateboard. Only ferals have that lack of fear. I wouldn't eat a feral either.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Dear oh dear:( While I don't think its a great idea for teenagers to go battering pigeons with their skateboards, with rays `Wild Food` book under their arm, the response is well over the top.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ath-skateboard-busy-city-centre-home-eat.html

How come its illegal to kill a pigeon in the town centre but legal to shoot one in the countryside, if it is an offense to kill a wild bird?

Should have battered the pigeon with the book and said it was a duel purpose bushcraft tool.:)

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
There's a fair bit of talk on the thread about how it wasn't a clean kill, wrong tool for the job etc.
But I'll tell you what if you flatten a pigeon with a skateboard it'll be dead quick smart, might not be elegant or 'proper' but it'll be no more or less humane than most methods.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
To be fair, anyone who goes round belting birds with skateboards deserves a slap themselves. It clearly wasn't a clean kill, and I can't condone that, even for a flying rat.
Still, not bad, to get a hit with a skateboard, the pigeons normally fly when you get within 2 feet, walking distance.

Beware skateboard wielding ninjas !

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
thanks for clearing that up Red. But one more question -
How come its ok for the bus drivers to run them over then?!!

I recently sat an exam on countryside law and I paraphrase...

An act is not unlawful if it occurred by accident whilst a person was engaged in a lawful activity

(ie driving a bus on a highway)

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Just one more example to me, as to why i head to the woods so often, to get away from these sub humans.

Thousands of years of evoluion and what have we developed into - an intelleget species who has clearly used all his brain power available to him and come to the conclusion that its ok to bash an innocent birds brains in with a skate board.

Call them what you want - flying rats ect ect - it just doesnt make it right....

I see too many of these stories these days, hardly a day goes by where you cant find a story about some kid setting fire to a cat or sticking a firework into some helpless family pet where the sun dont shine, I sometimes really am ashamed to be a human being, no other species acts in this way out of shere spite......

No wonder these so called "townies" were upset at seeing this, if you saw this happening and took enjoyment from an act like this, in my opinion youve got serious issues in your life......

Colin.....

I might be sticking my neck out a bit here, but all the signs point toward the fact that he intended (possibly misguidedly) to eat the aforementioned pigeon.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Is it just me, but I don't remember Ray mentioning the techneque of Bludgeoning it to death with a skateboard.

Also who in there right mind would want to eat a urban flying rat?

leon-1

There's a fair bit of talk on the thread about how it wasn't a clean kill, wrong tool for the job etc.
But I'll tell you what if you flatten a pigeon with a skateboard it'll be dead quick smart, might not be elegant or 'proper' but it'll be no more or less humane than most methods.

That wasn't the case as he had to wring it's neck as well. So not dead quick smart at all.

Apart from the fact that it's still classed as a wild bird and doesn't fit the criterior for bumping off, unless he can prove it to be a disease vector.

Death by bludgeoning did not occur, the young man had to wring it's neck, so he made a poor job of killing it causing "unnecessary suffering", it's illegal under the wildlife and countryside act.

He was prosecuted by the local authority and walked away with a slap on the wrist.
The RSPCA would've brought full criminal proceedings against him if they had been asked, he would've received a bigger fine and had restrictions placed upon him which would effect him more than the ones that he'll have placed on him now. As it is he will probably never be able to have a firearms certificate as he now has a criminal record.

I don't seem to recall that the people to do with British Feild Sports allow people to take down deer with a skateboard as long as it's a Benjy board competetion with belair speedbombs fitted on ACS450 trucks or bigger.

BASC stands for British Association of Shooting and Conservation, not British association of Skateboardicide and Conservation.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
But some buses actually swerve TO hit pigeons, Ive seem `em do it!

I once saw a bus drive over a pigeon. It made a big 'POP!' sound, just like a balloon (seriously, that's just what it sounded like) and there was a comedy puff of feathers as well. Quite a bizarre thing to see.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net

Colin.....
I have to agree with you on that one.

I’ve seen few people here mentioned that the guy did poor job and caused some “unnecessary suffering” to the pigeon.
Unnecessary suffering would be if he just injured that pigeon and left it there, he killed it.
I agree that skateboard is not ideal tool for killing, and town centre is not ideal place for it too but, if I found myself in situation where I could kill an animal using, let’s say, a stone, I would do it.
The fact we kill our pray clean and fast, isn’t because we don’t want it to suffer, it’s because is less messy.
I killed a number of different animals in my life. I don’t take pleasure in killing; it’s just the way life in countryside is.
The fact that this guy wrung pigeons neck suggests that he knew what he was doing and wanted to make sure pigeon is dead.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
"Raphael Thomas, 19, hit the bird three times and wrung its neck in front of horrified shoppers"

I don't consider that a clean kill by any stretch of the imagination.

Couple that with it being a pigeon, not a wood pigeon, plus it was done in a shopping centre makes no sense whether your a tree hugger or a full blown carnivore, I would suggest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE