pine resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 17, 2005
i see allot of talk of pine resin and its` uses i have scoured my local woodland and their is not one pine tree to be seen is their any native english tree that prouduces a sutable substitute for pine resin.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm suprised you can't find a pine tree but there must be a spruce near by...try useing spruce resin instead mate :D

May I ask where abouts in the country you are?

Bam.

May 17, 2005
:) sorry been off line work called
i live in middlesex scoured local woods further afield yes pine exists
i was reading rays a book about fishing and the resin was used to glue the a feather shaft to a make a loop and b fix the brambles to the shaft
used super glue instead as i new pine was not around will try the lines this week end see what i catck :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would say that araldite would be more like the consistency of pine resin than superglue ;)

Personally I don't get too hung up on using all natural ingredients if I can't find everything locally. It just seems silly to drive a long way to get pine resing, for instance, so I can make a perfectly authentic primitive item. That is, if the item is going to be used, or is for practice.

Best of luck!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
C_Claycomb said:
I would say that araldite would be more like the consistency of pine resin than superglue ;)

Personally I don't get too hung up on using all natural ingredients if I can't find everything locally. It just seems silly to drive a long way to get pine resing, for instance, so I can make a perfectly authentic primitive item. That is, if the item is going to be used, or is for practice.

Best of luck!

I think I differ slightly with you there, I try to only use items that I found. Ok so I understand your point about convinience but to me it's the going and getting as much as the making that I enjoy.
I also look at it this way, if I'm using superglue or whatever then why not just all manmade stuff...i.e ready made flies in the case below.
Bushcraft is about the last bastion of patience and just for me personally I want to keep it that way and not let any modern "quick fixes" in at all.

And if I'm out and deside I wish to have a bash at fishing I'd like to know I haven't got to nip home for some superglue before I make up my flies ;) as I know how to produce natural alternatives.

Clearly if I'm doing something where I'm more concerned with using the finished product then making it I might use manmade as in the skin I have just siliconed to see how it works but by and large I stick to natural and self collected materials.

Clive, see if you can have a chat with Squidders, he's from your neckof the woods (or close by) and see if you can get him to take you to where you can find plenty of pine resin.

Hope that helps....

Bam.
:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE