pencil sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
This idea was a new one for me, so I thought I would pass it on. It looks like it should work quite well, and I can't wait to try it out.

Carry a standard lead pencil and one of those small, hand-held pencil sharpeners. When you want to light a fire, get out the pencil sharpener, and the pencil and sharpen it. The thin slivers of wood will supposedly ignite readily.

Since most pencils are made of cedar, a dead, dry cedar twig would probably work in place of the pencil, if need be.

Note: Although most all small, hand-held pencil sharpeners are rather poorly made with plastic housings and cheap blades. However, most art supply stores and "hobby" stores carry inexpensive, but well made, metal pencil sharpeners. Some even have replaceable blades.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
What a brilliant idea.... instant tinder if nothing else around.

Thanks for that, will add it to my kit.

a' the best

KP

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Yes this is a good idea, that was in another thread on here a while ago. I keep one in my fire kit & use it from time to time on small dry twigs to make tinder. The cheap metal ones can also be burnt, either as shavings or whole, as they are made from a cheap metal than can be set on fire apparently (I have not tried this part). I got myself one of those double pencil sharpeners that does a thick pencil as well as a standard sized one.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I've carried a pencil sharpener for a while now but have to confess seldom use it. I beleive the metal ones are some kind of magnesium alloy hence the use as a fireligher themselves

Never really got on with the 'proper' magnesium blocks either so couldn't say if they are better / worse

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've had a pencil sharpener in my fire kit for years and it does get used with twigs quite often.

Pencil_Sharpener.jpg

Even if the twig is damp on the outside there is usually enough dry stuff on the inside to light and that sets off the rest.

Last edited:

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I've had a pencil sharpener in my fire kit for years and it does get used with twigs quite often.

Even if the twig is damp on the outside there is usually enough dry stuff on the inside to light and that sets off the rest.

I carry one after getting the idea from this top fella.

Cheers matey.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Yup I've carried one for a while. The womens makeup pencil ones are good because they have 2 sizes, normal and big.
15475f.jpg

Neumo has an idea in his post about setting cheap metal ones on fire.... I suspect some may be made from magnesium. Could be used like a Doan firestarter with a firesteel perhaps?? who knows
doan_mag_fire.jpg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Didn't mean to step on someone else's idea. I looked around a bit prior to posting and didn't see anything like it so I went ahead and posted it. So, full credit goes to whomever posted this originally.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've heard of grinding the metal ones down to set alight to, I usually just use my knife if I want to get curls though.

Funny you should say that. After explaining why I'd liberated my GFs eyeliner pencil, she made a profound statement... "Don't you do that with your knife?" Well, for once, she is right. It's a nifty and new way of doing the job, but I simply don't need to carry something extra around.

Bushcraft can be viewed as going back to basics, but it is in our nature to improvise and look for new ideas that really aren't needed. I'll certainly keep one in my fire pouch along with flint, steel etc. But I won't be taking it out with me when I have a knife at hand.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Allthough it is a clever tip I agree with Johnathan; I'd rather use something I already carry to do the job than carry something extra. But in a survival situation a pencil sharpener just might be available when a knife isn't. By the way, a knife can be used to sharpen pencils too! ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE