Passaround - Chris Caine Survival Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
1. Stew
2. British Red
3. FGYT
4. JonathanD
5. SimonM
6. ged
7. Shambling
8. Dave Budd
9. dave 53
10. johnnytheboy

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Agreed. If I dramatically changed the geometry of the knife, it wouldn't be a fair representation of the knife that people would be purchasing.

I would like to really have a try at modifying one to see what could be done with it.

interesting vids stew, of the two knives, it's easy for me to pick the one i'd rather have on the belt. (it's not the big one)

what sort of dog is that?

modifying stuff to make it work, it's the way forwards. i get frustrated with the "you can't do that with that" crowd.

cheers, and.

i'm not entirely sure how youtube led me astray from one of your vids to some wholly less appropriate stuff, but that's the nature of you tube!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
the dog to me looked like a very handsome viberhma, don't think thats the right spelling, but think thats how pronounce it, lol.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
This is the best shot I can manage of the edges.

_MG_8173.jpg

_MG_8173copy.jpg

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This is the best shot I can manage of the edges.

It's a good shot. That looks a lot like the edge on my felling axe. :)

It's a good edge for part of a big blade like that (the part you'd use mostly for chopping) but I'd want something a lot finer at the extremes of the blade.

If we can't modify it then I'll pull out of the passaround and let somebody else take a look at it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a good shot. That looks a lot like the edge on my felling axe. :)

It's a good edge for part of a big blade like that (the part you'd use mostly for chopping) but I'd want something a lot finer at the extremes of the blade.

If we can't modify it then I'll pull out of the passaround and let somebody else take a look at it.

Maybe it should be a double passaround. Once as is, then again modified to be more useful. Stick with it though Ged as without your input on the blade as it comes, we may not come to a firm decision how it should be modified. It's part of the process of testing and evaluation. If we modify it to our tastes then the people in the latter half of the list won't be giving the tool a fair test on how everyone will receive it from the manufacturer.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
There is a vid on their website showing how to use their sharpening steel on the survival tool. Presumably it would be ok to use that technique on the blade - after all, it's on the video, and it would presumably keep the same profile? Maybe send Chris an email to check that its ok to do that?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There is a vid on their website showing how to use their sharpening steel on the survival tool. Presumably it would be ok to use that technique on the blade - after all, it's on the video, and it would presumably keep the same profile? Maybe send Chris an email to check that its ok to do that?

I think the problem that Stew has, is not with the edge and keeping it sharp but with the whole profile of that edge, which means a total re-grinding. Something that will need more than a steel to sort out.

May 24, 2010
hampshire
the profile is no diferent to a gransfors axe. just a slightly deeper convexed edge, i find it hard to believe that people who claim to know about knives and tools find it so hard to to sharpen a tool that is handed to them, i own a cc tool and i am proud to say that, i use the pin when it needs it, after seeing the videos and looking at the comments i am astounded that nobody has picked up on the fact that the "blunt" chris caine tool only took 32 swings to chop, the competition cutter took 70 swings, you have no need to change the way the tool is ground, you use the pin to hone it to your preferences or just keep it sharp, after all your rules and conditions and i STATE "If you do use the knife hard, please ensure the edge leaves in as good a condition or better than it arrived."

i personally wouldn't reprofile the tool, there is no need to especially if you understand its capabilities, i certainly would not re-profile the blade without not asking chris's permission first

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think the problem that Stew has, is not with the edge and keeping it sharp but with the whole profile of that edge, which means a total re-grinding. Something that will need more than a steel to sort out.

absolutely. As my macro pic of the edge shows, the edge doesn't have any flat spots. It's factory sharp still. I have no issues sharpening knives but I'm not about to alter the entire edge. My use of the term not sharp enough is probably misleading. I should gave said the final edge angle on the secondary bevel is too obtuse to perform finer cuts. Much more clear?

It's aknife I could happily own, with some modification.

British Red needs to change the timing of his turn so this is packaged up ready to go to JonathanD

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the profile is no diferent to a gransfors axe. just a slightly deeper convexed edge, i find it hard to believe that people who claim to know about knives and tools find it so hard to to sharpen a tool that is handed to them, i own a cc tool and i am proud to say that, i use the pin when it needs it, after seeing the videos and looking at the comments i am astounded that nobody has picked up on the fact that the "blunt" chris caine tool only took 32 swings to chop, the competition cutter took 70 swings, you have no need to change the way the tool is ground, you use the pin to hone it to your preferences or just keep it sharp, after all your rules and conditions and i STATE "If you do use the knife hard, please ensure the edge leaves in as good a condition or better than it arrived."

i personally wouldn't reprofile the tool, there is no need to especially if you understand its capabilities, i certainly would not re-profile the blade without not asking chris's permission first

um, yeah, welcome to the forum.

bit of a terse first post i thought. how about a bit of a greeting and an introduction?

if you read the text accompanying the vids you'll see that the issues of both profile and "sharp" are discussed. much of the superior chopping power is attributed to mass alone.

cheers, and.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

It might be OK for chopping as is, but the featherstick video obviously showed that it wasn't working at all in this respect. Stew is a knifemaker so sharpening isn't an issue. And if you read his threads properly you will see that the knife IS sharp. There is more to a parang than chopping big stuff down you know. It is also supposed to able to deal with the fine stuff too. The post about it so far are Stews opinion after use so it is early days yet. It may be a different matter for me.

As for it's capabilities and understanding them, that is what this passaround is for. If those capabilities fail to met up to the needs of an experienced parang user, or even excell in them, then obviously they will be reported. That's the beauty of a passaround, we all give unbiased views as we haven't invested in the product.... yet. People who have already invested a large amount of money by buying one are, whether you like it or not, going to be biased towards it.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
It might be OK for chopping as is, but the featherstick video obviously showed that it wasn't working at all in this respect. Stew is a knifemaker so sharpening isn't an issue. And if you read his threads properly you will see that the knife IS sharp. There is more to a parang than chopping big stuff down you know. It is also supposed to able to deal with the fine stuff too. The post about it so far are Stews opinion after use so it is early days yet. It may be a different matter for me.

As for it's capabilities and understanding them, that is what this passaround is for. If those capabilities fail to met up to the needs of an experienced parang user, or even excell in them, then obviously they will be reported. That's the beauty of a passaround, we all give unbiased views as we haven't invested in the product.... yet. People who have already invested a large amount of money by buying one are, whether you like it or not, going to be biased towards it.
well put that mate, thats my thought exactly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE