Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's up and down like a tart's drawers at the moment. Kev Warrington who lives locally reckons the ice on the river is thin and the snow cover is compacted by the freeze thaw conditions.

It is more likely to lay down fresh snow in milder conditions but lower temperatures would give us better working conditions.

Footwear is the biggest issue, Debs and I are taking two options, pacboots for wet cold and mukluks for dry cold. I'm hoping for the latter though.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
It's up and down like a tart's drawers at the moment. Kev Warrington who lives locally reckons the ice on the river is thin and the snow cover is compacted by the freeze thaw conditions.

It is more likely to lay down fresh snow in milder conditions but lower temperatures would give us better working conditions.

Footwear is the biggest issue, Debs and I are taking two options, pacboots for wet cold and mukluks for dry cold. I'm hoping for the latter though.

That doesn't sound good for crossing the lake or ice fishing :( Boot wise I'm taking more or less the same as you with an added pair of overboots to cover the mukluks if I'm caught out. Lets hope we get lots of snow and some cold weather :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Damian is also sourcing some "Tyvek" booties which we can use between the wool felt liners and the mukluk shells to protect them from moisture in intermediate conditions.

They only weigh a few grams to carry and are more breathable than plastic bin liners for more or less the same job.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
If you guys are travelling on lakes or rivers you will have to be very careful given the mild conditions they have had this year.

I don't think I would fancy that risk without some local knowledge to back it up.

The plan is / was to cross the lake, there is also a land route which we could take, we are getting picked up in Gallivare by a local guy and have already planned to pick his brains, safety is foremost and nothing will be done half assed :)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Not liking the temperatures I'm seeing, almost tropical :(

I've been on a dozen trips to cold areas since 2012 and at least nine trips have been warmer than expected. Camping in sleet and slush is no fun so I suggest you put a warm weather plan in place before you leave. I'd suggest that you study AirBnB to find suitable digs in the Kiruna/Gallivare area, I've found a few cabins that sleep six from about £70 per night.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I've been on a dozen trips to cold areas since 2012 and at least nine trips have been warmer than expected. Camping in sleet and slush is no fun so I suggest you put a warm weather plan in place before you leave. I'd suggest that you study AirBnB to find suitable digs in the Kiruna/Gallivare area, I've found a few cabins that sleep six from about £70 per night.

I think if it came down to camping in warm conditions and not camping I would rather cancel than chuck more money into a trip that wasn't what I / we wanted, having said that, today's forecast is a lot better for our stay period, I think it's going to be touch and go :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Damian is also sourcing some "Tyvek" booties which we can use between the wool felt liners and the mukluk shells to protect them from moisture in intermediate conditions.

They only weigh a few grams to carry and are more breathable than plastic bin liners for more or less the same job.

This has had me thinking, THESE might do the job, meant as overboots but worth a try, I'm going to get a pair later on, I'll report back on fit etc.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yep, that is the sort of thing we are looking at.

The felt liners we're using are thick enough to prevent any chafing where the Tyvek wrinkles up but the material is moisture resistant while still transmitting vapour outward.

The weak point is the stitching of course but even though that might weep through, they should still stop a majority of wetness getting in.

We had some shoe covers that Pete gave us last time and we used them a lot whilst just padding around the cabin in felt liners. After a while that expanded into short trips on to the snow to do stuff round the cabin. We were surprised how effective and robust they were.

They would not help if actually standing in meltwater but I reckon they will do a good job as an inter-liner for snow.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Sorry guys been away and had a knightmare over Christmas and New Year. But I hope you had good ones.

Had my computerand wifi hacked and wiped so lost everything and we have been unable to use our internet at home (I am now back in work and finally been able to check the site). I also had my phone crushed so no comms either. I am on a temporary Mobile. My sim card and phone have been sent away and they hope to seperate it soon. So maybe be back on my mobile soon. Was majorily ill over new year so unable to leave the house and get some stuff sorted. But as said now at work and sorting stuff out. Thinking of going back to pen and paper.

I am still going and sorted with stuff.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Good to hear from you Pete, sorry to hear of the nightmare you've had, a great to hear you're still onboard :) you have my number, give me a call / text and I'll call you back :)

I had a pair of the rubber NBC over boots at one point.

They might squash down reasonably well but they were quite heavy.

Not sure if I've not still got them somewhere but I don't think I'll be taking them even if I do find them.
When you have the lighter tyvek option why would you :) I think it's the way to go

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Sorry guys been away and had a knightmare over Christmas and New Year.
I also had my phone crushed. So maybe be back on my mobile soon. Was majorily ill over new year so unable to leave the house and get some stuff sorted.
I am still going and sorted with stuff.

Im kinda glad in a none sadistic way, that I am not the only one who was completely and utterly paggered on many fronts.
See at you at the airport mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE