Ooh la la The Girl tries out the brand new Wynnchester Adventurer Bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
VBL goes as near to the skin as you can tolerate.

The skin actually sweats a lot less in a VBL.

This is because the skin can sense how humid the air is around it, and it will regulate that humidity by sweating. It will sweat until that humidity is reached.

In the cold dry air this means a lot of sweating and a lot of wasted moisture.

The VBL handily prevents both issues.

Sorry Susanne but my experiences have shown different.

4 examples spring to mind.

1/ While in hot humid climates my body constantly sweats, granted i'm a pale skinned foreigner so it might be expected, but the locals also sweat, this in conditions around 100% humidity.
The body still continues to sweat.

2/ I recently got caught out the first day on a 5 day trip, my boots wetted out so had all the breathability of a plastic bag.
My feet continued to sweat constantly for the remaining 4 days.

3/ I do a fair bit of free diving in the summer months, after anything more than 1 hour out i start to get very dehydrated.
This swimming without a wet suit, even though it's submerged my body still continues to sweat

4/ A couple of times i misjudged the ocean temps and layered up too much under a dry suit, another time i should really have worn a wet suit as the sea was very warm, but it was out for repairs.
All these times i constantly sweated to the point of suffering from dehydration.

So in my experiences the skin does not control sweat depending on humidity levels, if the body is hot it will continue to sweat until you dehydrate in my experience.

I'd say - try it just with your boots first on a day out and about in some proper cold.

:lmao:

Young lady, i didn't move to Greece to experience proper cold :hatscarf:

I do get roped into the old colder trip, but it's rare now days, i've just got no interest in wild camping if it's below freezing at my age.
As i say though i do enjoy reading and watching trip reports though, as long as it's from my warm house :lmao:

Sorry Susanne but my experiences have shown different.

It's just science. Human physiology...

If you are good you can regulate your temperature production to the point where no sweat is produced but the skin will still sweat to retain a minimum required humidity.

I am not going to debate effectiveness of VBL, nor physiology with you. Enough has been written about this elsewhere.

For those who have not yet been into this topic, here is a good start.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forum/C...&_Ice_F30/Stupid_moron_VBL_question_P1498044/
http://warmlite.com/vapor-barrier

Those who go in the cold wear a VBL or have a fire to dry their clothes.

That is all the point I was making.

Since you don't do cold trips, it's hardly relevant. Let's just not pretend that you can do well in cold weather expecting to be able to be drying your gear by body heat or a hot water bottle inside a goretex bivvy.

:)

I'm old enough to know that such things do not work. (So does the military btw)

As i say though i do enjoy reading and watching trip reports though, as long as it's from my warm house :lmao:

Excellent. I will keep em coming..

Peace...

S

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Great post. really does look like a lovely, well made bit of kit. I was especially interested in your loden blanket? are those available commercially or is it a specially made one? my partner suffers from the cold at night and that seems like a nice idea instead of a standard bag liner.
Cheers
Baggins

Great post. really does look like a lovely, well made bit of kit. I was especially interested in your loden blanket? are those available commercially or is it a specially made one? my partner suffers from the cold at night and that seems like a nice idea instead of a standard bag liner.
Cheers
Baggins

It's a wonderful thing. I have spent quite a few nights out with it now and am really appreciating it. What is particularly nice is to lay on it or sit on it near the fire while you are eating and drinking tea and shooting the **** with your buddies. All your gear together and nice and warm and comfy. When you are ready to sleep you just hop inside and done. Or drag the whole thing to a better sleeping spot.

The loden blanket is just tuchloden bought off the roll at a fabric shop. 3 meters by 1.5 meters. Awesome warm and super super light.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE