Ooh la la The Girl tries out the brand new Wynnchester Adventurer Bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Can you close it up completely and still breath ok?

The zip seems very well thought out. I sold my goretex bivvi because rain would make it's way through the zip (which ran side-to-side at about chest height).

I wonder if they've thought of doing a version in lighter canvas. 12Oz is dang heavy; many tarps are made of 6Oz. Maybe 6Oz on the top and 12 on the bottom. Would reduce weight by a quarter.

Can you close it up completely and still breath ok?

The zip seems very well thought out. I sold my goretex bivvi because rain would make it's way through the zip (which ran side-to-side at about chest height).

I wonder if they've thought of doing a version in lighter canvas. 12Oz is dang heavy; many tarps are made of 6Oz. Maybe 6Oz on the top and 12 on the bottom. Would reduce weight by a quarter.

Yeah breathing is fine with it fully closed and NO DAMP feeling near your mouth. Very nice.

The zips are all covered with flaps pointing down and you have this sort of bathtub effect at the head end.

I will suggest the 12/6 variation - great idea... thank you.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
What a fantastic response Susanne.

In all honesty the idea of using a material that doesn't melt as easily as many synthetic type bivvies hadn't entered my head.
As you say it's rare in the UK to find a place where you can responsibly have a camp fire, plus in these days of very warm lightweight sleeping bags and modern stoves, camp fires are not really needed.

I have to put my hand up and say i'm one of those folks that find it a bit "odd" that people would choose to use wool, furs etc when modern kit offers so much more benefits, but by the same token i spent 2 hours this morning cycling off-road on a mountain, on a 2 wheeled alloy contraption that cost more than my first 5 cars put together, so we all have things that seem "odd" to others.

Thanks again for a well reasoned and thought out response, although i'm not the type that would buy one of these, you did help give me a glimpse of some of the reasoning behind it.

Cheers
Mark

Hey Mark,

Glad you liked. Nice!

What a fantastic response Susanne.

In all honesty the idea of using a material that doesn't melt as easily as many synthetic type bivvies hadn't entered my head.
As you say it's rare in the UK to find a place where you can responsibly have a camp fire, plus in these days of very warm lightweight sleeping bags and modern stoves, camp fires are not really needed.

Unless you are in the arctic regions. There you are either in a VBL or you need a fire.
I hate VBLs...naaasty...but if I am on a fast skiing trip up there then I am in a VBL, in a nylon tent with my down bag, believe me. grin

If you consider the polar explorers who are far from any trees, and thus are in nylon, and who in fact NEED the plastic/tent bubble - one of the major issues they face is the danger from their tents burning down. It happened to Mike Horn on his Arktos expedition. Very bad news.

Any prolonged expedition is not going to be lightweight... so then you need to consider where to invest the KGs...it's the whole procedure of looking after yourself in those conditions...

I have to put my hand up and say i'm one of those folks that find it a bit "odd" that people would choose to use wool, furs etc when modern kit offers so much more benefits, but by the same token i spent 2 hours this morning cycling off-road on a mountain, on a 2 wheeled alloy contraption that cost more than my first 5 cars put together, so we all have things that seem "odd" to others.

Thanks again for a well reasoned and thought out response, although i'm not the type that would buy one of these, you did help give me a glimpse of some of the reasoning behind it.

Cheers
Mark

I think it really depends on what you see the benefits to be...

Pure warm for weight is one thing.
But there is also the directness to nature.
The aesthetic feeling of it.
No static
Fire resistance
Puncture/Tear resistance
Reparable in the field - especially in the cold.
Breathability (No place for Goretex in deep cold for instance. It does not work...)
Stretchiness - freedom of movement
etc...

All different benefits to be considered...

Depends on what you are out there to go get...

:)

Last edited:

campj

May 29, 2013
England
I keep looking at these but deciding the cost and weight is too high
A narrower, 12/6 oz one to lighten the weight (and cost) would secure a sale for me

I'm slightly concerned that 1/2 width would sacrifice comfort although I've never seen the current model in real life to be fair

A agree with Susanne, I want canvas so I can sit round the fire without risking my bag going up in flames

I keep looking at these but deciding the cost and weight is too high
A narrower, 12/6 oz one to lighten the weight (and cost) would secure a sale for me

I'm slightly concerned that 1/2 width would sacrifice comfort although I've never seen the current model in real life to be fair

A agree with Susanne, I want canvas so I can sit round the fire without risking my bag going up in flames

Or maybe a 12oz on the bottom and 6oz on the top and 2/3 the width....

campj

May 29, 2013
England
That sounds more reassuring but that's based on not handling one

If you think two people could fit comfortably in the standard size, then 1/2 size would make sense

Either way, I'll be picking one up if it comes to market

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
What's a VBL please?

I think it really depends on what you see the benefits to be...

Pure warm for weight is one thing.
But there is also the directness to nature.
The aesthetic feeling of it.
No static
Fire resistance
Puncture/Tear resistance
Reparable in the field - especially in the cold.
Breathability (No place for Goretex in deep cold for instance. It does not work...)
Stretchiness - freedom of movement
etc...

All different benefits to be considered...

Depends on what you are out there to go get...

:)

I don't know any one else that crosses over and uses such varying equipment as you do.
1 vid you are in modern kit in a hammock, next you're using a fur blanket.

:bigok:

I've had to wear wool, ventile etc in the past, carted around cotton tents and slug trailed my way around in slimy wax cotton clothing.
These days i'd sooner stay at home than put up with any of that kit again, so the idea of lugging a cotton shelter around for a night out in a wool jumper and ventile jacket, does not appeal to me in the slightest.
I do enjoy reading/watching your exploits though.

So although i can't see the attraction of the old type kit, i do admire your open mindness and your adventurous spirit when it comes to kit choices as you don't seem to be stuck in your ways like many on here and are open to both modern and traditional kit.
Good on ya

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
VBL = vapour Barrier Layer. Basically you stop the heat loss from warm moisture escaping by having a waterproof layer near your skin. Then outside of that have insulation so that the condensation point (the point where the air cools enough for moisture to condense out) is somewhere in that insulation layer.

The theory (I've never tried this) is that the moisture given off from your skin never reaches the condensation point in the insulation, since it is utterly blocked by the VBL. This has two benefits. One is that it reduces heat loss (that moisture carries a lot of heat), and the second is that you don't end up with damp insulation (so down gets to work at it's best).

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
VBL = vapour Barrier Layer. Basically you stop the heat loss from warm moisture escaping by having a waterproof layer near your skin. Then outside of that have insulation so that the condensation point (the point where the air cools enough for moisture to condense out) is somewhere in that insulation layer. ...

A bit like wearing a wet suit in your sleeping bag.

I'll pass on that one, thanks. :)

What's a VBL please?

I don't know any one else that crosses over and uses such varying equipment as you do.
1 vid you are in modern kit in a hammock, next you're using a fur blanket.

:bigok:

I've had to wear wool, ventile etc in the past, carted around cotton tents and slug trailed my way around in slimy wax cotton clothing.
These days i'd sooner stay at home than put up with any of that kit again, so the idea of lugging a cotton shelter around for a night out in a wool jumper and ventile jacket, does not appeal to me in the slightest.
I do enjoy reading/watching your exploits though.

So although i can't see the attraction of the old type kit, i do admire your open mindness and your adventurous spirit when it comes to kit choices as you don't seem to be stuck in your ways like many on here and are open to both modern and traditional kit.
Good on ya

Awesome word and thoughts. Much appreciated.
I guess I am A. Gear. Freak. Just in a very wide spectrum.

Hope to meet you one day. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Peace

S

Yeah, I guess it is. Like I said, I've not tried it. Others have and say it works. Sounds like a fungal feast to me.

It does work. I have used them on extended fast & lights above the treeline.

You get used to the feeling.

It is imperative to keep your stuff dry if you are not able to dry wet stuff in your shelter.

VPL takes care of it.

It's worth it.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...It is imperative to keep your stuff dry...

My take on that is an MVP bivyy bag. Anything damp goes in there with me and my body heat, and if necessary a hot water bottle too, will dry it out double quick.

I can sweat a lot even when I'm not working hard. Lying in a pool of my own body fluids overnight really doesn't appeal at all - I've done that enough times to know for sure. :yikes:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
VBL = vapour Barrier Layer. Basically you stop the heat loss from warm moisture escaping by having a waterproof layer near your skin. Then outside of that have insulation so that the condensation point (the point where the air cools enough for moisture to condense out) is somewhere in that insulation layer.

The theory (I've never tried this) is that the moisture given off from your skin never reaches the condensation point in the insulation, since it is utterly blocked by the VBL. This has two benefits. One is that it reduces heat loss (that moisture carries a lot of heat), and the second is that you don't end up with damp insulation (so down gets to work at it's best).

Thanks for the explanation.

So would wearing a bin linear over a wool jumper class as VBL or does the outer layer need to breath more to qualify?

My take on that is an MVP bivyy bag. Anything damp goes in there with me and my body heat, and if necessary a hot water bottle too, will dry it out double quick.

I can sweat a lot even when I'm not working hard. Lying in a pool of my own body fluids overnight really doesn't appeal at all - I've done that enough times to know for sure. :yikes:

Maybe fine here in temperate conditions. Not so much in the Northern Forest I can tell you. If you want to go that way, by all means. Just know that all who go there either use a VBL or dry their stuff by a fire.

Military included.

But whatever floats your boat of course.

If you want to try it out I run a course. called "Intro to Deep Cold" here in Bavaria. We can get into -20 / -25c pretty easily at beginner skill levels. It makes a great dry run for the greater Forests, Tundra and Polar environments.

Thanks for the explanation.

So would wearing a bin linear over a wool jumper class as VBL or does the outer layer need to breath more to qualify?

VBL goes as near to the skin as you can tolerate.

The skin actually sweats a lot less in a VBL.

This is because the skin can sense how humid the air is around it, and it will regulate that humidity by sweating. It will sweat until that humidity is reached.

In the cold dry air this means a lot of sweating and a lot of wasted moisture.

The VBL handily prevents both issues.

I'd say - try it just with your boots first on a day out and about in some proper cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE