One for the swingers , M65 Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
Interesting, can't see any benefits over a hammock/tarp setup though other than saving a bit of money, looks like you have to pitch it taut so you wouldn't get much of the comfort of sleeping in a hammock, also you'd need to find suitable sticks for the spreader bars and the tarp coverage looks pretty small.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
It's designed for thick jungle where the vegetation is dense enough that you cannot pitch a big tarp, nor do you get rain going in any direction but down.

Outside of that specific environment, it's of limited use.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have an M65 hammock which was issued to me. I used it in Panama years ago, while in the US Army and have used it on several trips since. It is very narrow, which is not a good thing. It is made to be used with a USGI poncho as the rainfly, the elastic toggles on the main lines are made to button into the large grommet holes on the poncho.

It is comfortable if you can remain relatively still and sleep on your back. If you can't sleep on your back and you roll about frequently, there is a good chance you can fall out of the hammock. I survived using it, with some loss of sleep. In Panama we learned quickly why the hammock was best pitched chest high. The rain was heavy enough that it bounced off the wet ground and wet the underside of the poncho and the inside of the hammock, unless you set the hammock up quite high. It was common for army troops in Panama to buy a net hammock to replace the nylon M65, it was lighter and also let air circulate better. The whole setup was heavily dependent on a good mosquito net, pitched carefully.

I've since bought a few other hammocks, and the one I prefer over any is the Ray Mears version made by Pyramid, with the RM bug netting and an Aussie hootchie for rain cover. It is wide and allows for a much more comfortable night's sleep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE