One for MartinK9

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Quite sure that's the one Martyn designed over on British Blades.
Very similar to the Woodlore with a more upswept tip.. Again these were done in a limited run.

About ten or twelve made wasn't it. The usual versions had the downswept handle...

DSC02198.jpg

Soooooooo with these being sold with their original boxes, they are defiantly recent knives?

No doubt about it. The blade shape, grind and overall knife profile clearly shows they are recent ones.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Quite sure that's the one Martyn designed over on British Blades.
Very similar to the Woodlore with a more upswept tip.. Again these were done in a limited run.

Yep, the blade is Martyn's design (compared with a WS Woodlore, pic by Martyn):

bushcraftermartynbb3.jpg

My Photoshop:

AWWoodloreBBKcombination-eigenontwe.jpg

Note the difference in the handle Martyn designed and the WS handle.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
SW Northumberland
The knives shown are fairly recent ones, certainly within the last 5 years or so. Therefore they will be at RC-59. The third knife is a "Mybush" model which is basically the Woodlore blade with my own (longer) hand shape. This one has a stabilised burl handle.
I did number the first knives with a Burgess Vibratool (sp.?). JD's knife is No. 4 of 1994. Nothing at all to do with quarters of the year. I was only making a handful a year back then as they were supposed to be for folk attending Ray's courses. Can't remember how many were numbered as I lost count when I was making some to be presented to village elders who gave permission for Ray to film in their area.
I have always considered numbering knives to be pretentious BS and Ray agreed for what are essentially working knives.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
They've only been making those boxes for the last two or three years. Before that you just got them in a jiffy bag wrapped in bubble wrap. They never used to supply the box, it's a recent thing started with the 25th JP knife which was leatherbound.

Thanks for clearing that up for me,managed to get hold of a mint 2nd hand Woodlore a couple of years ago along with letter from Woodlore to original owner(2005) thought he had lost the box,when i phoned Woodlore recently to ask if i could possibly purchase one of their fancy boxes to go with my prized possesion they wanted £50,yes that's not a misprint!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE