Now strictly bushcraft but...Ivy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Hi guys,

the garden shed of the house I've moved into is being taken over by the stuff and roundup doesn't seem to be doing much to it - any tips on how to murder these vines?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
yup, I agree with Rik and Xylaria. Then just keep hacking at the stump until its dead. Using chemicals seems a bit extravagant.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pull the lengths, coil and store. When they're dry rub the leaves off. It can be soaked and used to weave baskets, and the heavy main roots can be split lengthwise to make great hearths for firebow and drill :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What she says.
It can weave very nicely, but it gives me a rash. The rash is quite common.

Ah, I didn't know that.
I use it for dye, (good green) and the berries for one of the enricheners for a dark dye.

I let it grow up over the fences, it seems to keep the timber not only dry but protected, as well as providing masses of cover and nesting spaces for the small birds. I weave in any trailing shoots to stop it spreading over the garden.

cheers,
M

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Cheers for the tips - Sorry for thinking a 'w' was a 't' in the title too!
I wouldn't mind it growing on the shed, it's growing through the shed I'm not too keen on.

Off to hatchet it up :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have one larch lap shed that the ivy tries to grow through. Just pull it back and cut it off. It's not eating the wood or anything, and it ususallly dies off inside anyway since there's not enough light for it to green up.

cheers,
M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If you get a thickish bit of ivy, it also carves absolutely beautifully. I got a straight bit, and it was almost buttery when it was green, and made a lovely spoon, with a quirky handle. It dried well too, without cracking. Ivy is one of my favourite things to carve in the field now, as it is so easy to work.

So cut you ivy down, and get carving!

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
i've made a spoon with ivy aswell and i have got to agree it is fantastic to work with :). always keep my eye out for a good sized bit when im out in the woods now. saw a bit large enough for a kuksa the other day, but it was on the roadside and was a bit unsure about cutting it off the tree.

so far all the stuff i've taken has been cut off at the bottom when foresters (or someone in charge) has been going throughout the woods. what are peoples opinions on cutting it from living ivy? cause unlike taking a branch off a tree its impossible to get it without killing the plant, but is it a bad thing to kill the ivy or am i doing the tree a favour? i remember being told at some point that its bad for the tree and obviously someone thinks so cause its been cut through to kill it off on alot of the trees in the woods by my friends house.

so is it ok (or even a good thing) for me to take ivy from trees or should i not be doing it?

TJ

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ivy is a bit controversial. Eventually it does smother the tree, and it certainly increases the likelihood of the tree being brought down by strong winds. On the other hand it provides berries and shelter for wildlife.

Personally, I'm happy to cut a bit of ivy from living growth, as usually you will find that the growth is multiple, and anyway, it keeps it under control and increases the lifespan of the tree. Technically I suppose you need permission from the landowner, but I think people are more laid back about ivy than they would be if you felled the tree, say.

Cut it in moderation and it should be fine. You can get some great shapes from it, and it is once of those under-used resources that people tend to ignore. Try scraping off the fibrous 'gripping' threads that coat the surface, and using them as tinder. Abundant, and easy to collect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE