Now I understand why I MUST use the pins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
I'd like to share some very basic opinions about knifemaking. I just finished my third attempt in knifemaking after the two ulus. This time I tried to make a butcher blade by Russell. The blade is very sharp, solid and I confirm the rugged appeal of the knife. I used maple scales and a 1 mm spacer. I write to stress the use of the pins. The holes in the tang were 4 mm and my corby rivets were 1/4" so the didn't fit. I tried to drill the tang but it was quite impossible, so I decided to glue directly the scales with epoxic glue. I had no pins but it seemed not such a problem. It was a great mistake! After the first application the scales slippered almost everywhere and only after half an hour I found the proper position for every piece of the handle. So don't try to glue without pins if you are at the very beginning!

P1000328_zpsbc932732.jpg

P1000332_zps16a4484b.jpg

P1000331_zps2a2c4612.jpg

P1000329_zps04f4aabe.jpg

P1000330_zpsf2e1ac3f.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You will need pins, or the handle will come off if it gets a decent knock :)

Use a masonry drill bit to enlarge the holes in heat treated steel, they have carbide tips, or buy a carbide drill bit.

Nice tidy work though mate. Looks very clean and the Russell blades are good. :)

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Hi I'm no knife maker or by any means have much experience in the subject.i did however rehandle my f1 and had a similar problem with drilling the tang for pins.i must have snapped half a dozen drill bits with nearly no visible marks.this was until a mate of mine who's a lock smith showed me a great bit of skill.he made me a drill bit from a tungsten tip masonry bit.taking it too a bench grinder he round off the spade end of the bit till took the form if a conventional drill bit.this is how he drills into safes and what not.anyhow two perfect holes in the tang was proof enough for me.just thought I'd mention it in case this helps you in anyway

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
in the intrests of knifemaking how do pins work ? Are they just metal that you flatten the end of or something else.

Also the titanium nitride coated silver and gold drills are not much good for hard applications but I would have thought a brand new HSS drill bit would have gone through a knife handle, as long as you keep it cool ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE