North Wood Christmas meet 16-18 December 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Fellas. Ive been chatting with Steve and I would like to propose and facilitate a little exercise for the meet next weekend.

The Northwood 'Survival Scenario'

What I propose to do is spend at least 4 hours on saturday tesing the skills of a worst case scenario. The first few hours of survival are always critical and if your like me you will have always wondered 'how would I cope'? Well this is the time to find out guys and I have devised a plan. How this will be done is the time will be divided up into 3 different phases;

1. Cold water emmersion - Spending a minuet or two in one of the ponds in full kit, untill you are good and wet.

2. Immediate response - Preventing hypothermia and building a fire.

3. Camp building - Preparing a camp for the potential of spending a night out.

This is not in anyway a course nor is it a competition, it is just what I believe a good way of testing those all important skills. Feel free to have a go at any of the phases and/or pull out at any time.

The floor is now open for comments/suggestions? :)

You MUST POST PICTURES of this, you just got to!!!

MartinK9, Remember that nearly dead is not sufficient, you need to wait at least an hour before the kit auction starts, however I think a pre-auction label 'who wants what' is acceptable under the circumstances LOL:lmao:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fellas. Ive been chatting with Steve and I would like to propose and facilitate a little exercise for the meet next weekend.

The Northwood 'Survival Scenario'

What I propose to do is spend at least 4 hours on saturday tesing the skills of a worst case scenario. The first few hours of survival are always critical and if your like me you will have always wondered 'how would I cope'? Well this is the time to find out guys and I have devised a plan. How this will be done is the time will be divided up into 3 different phases;

1. Cold water emmersion - Spending a minuet or two in one of the ponds in full kit, untill you are good and wet.

2. Immediate response - Preventing hypothermia and building a fire.

3. Camp building - Preparing a camp for the potential of spending a night out.

This is not in anyway a course nor is it a competition, it is just what I believe a good way of testing those all important skills. Feel free to have a go at any of the phases and/or pull out at any time.

The floor is now open for comments/suggestions? :)

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Where are you going to be camping, just so we can get upwind of you a bit.....
fart1.gif

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
last time I was there the ponds where almost dried out, although there must have been rain since, and we may be due a little wetness (I am not Andy :) so no stoning required) the bases were not the cleanness and they could be some nasties in it. As for the other parts as long as long as you do nopt make yourself in a BBQ should be safe :)

On the kit auctions I am game :)

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
re the ponds, we've had a very dry year water tables are down and ponds are relatively dry. but given the forcast he shouldnt have a problem getting wet :rolleyes: i did express my doubts on any/many taking part, but this is something dave wants to do so it should be an interesting exercise for him. for the sake of reality, should his firelighting prove difficult, he will of course be banned from the communal fire :D

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Fair play Dave, that's certainly stepping up to a survival scenario! Far from my idea of a good meet but I'll be there to cheer you on. When you say a full kit immersion does that include your bergan and sleeping bag? I'm nowhere near as hard as I used to think I was, I'm not well right now and that's making me feel even worse just thinking about it! In the interest of common sense I'd personally bring a change of clothes and sleeping bag and come strapped with a jonny before taking the plunge. That's just me though. Will be interesting to see on the day! Nice one...

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Thanks chad. No I deffinately won't be doing it will my bergan and everything. And yeah I hear your call about a change of clothes. Re kit I was thinking of a 5 item limit for the excercise. Knife, firesteel etc.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Morning guys, I was just wonering after seeing a glimpse is if anyone has some home made jerky they are planning on bringing along, and if they wouldn't mind parting with a small bag.. I can't get anuf of the stuff, but prefer the real deal aposed to the super market stuff..
:D

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Morning guys, I was just wonering after seeing a glimpse is if anyone has some home made jerky they are planning on bringing along, and if they wouldn't mind parting with a small bag.. I can't get anuf of the stuff, but prefer the real deal aposed to the super market stuff..
:D

Going to be making some this Meet. :)

freedom

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2011
liverpool
Sorry guys but I am dropping out this weekend due to money, but hopefully make it in the new year. Hope all of you have great weekend, Merry Xmas and happy New Year.

Regards,
Phil

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Going to be making some this Meet. :)

Ah haaa!! A WILLING victim for the salt beef jerky then!! Bring Diaocalm, Cowboy, if you try some of mine Dave might not be the only one having a test of survival... muhahaha...

Martin, I'll try to bring some cooking string, it may need lashing down or it could be snowing jerky over the M1 ;) I'm looking like saturday arrival if thats ok, gotta childmind friday nite as payoff for a pass out :) and thank you for the chips contribution, pete!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE