Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Sure, understood.

Wiring plugs + Dinner, sounds good to me!
(I'd do the same ;) )

I might check out those woods you mentioned to me (if i end up on my own).

Sure, understood.

Wiring plugs + Dinner, sounds good to me!
(I'd do the same ;) )

I might check out those woods you mentioned to me (if i end up on my own).

lol they arent that big but are pretty much empty looked at a google maps image (on satelite veiw)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hl=en&tab=wl
(just put in the post code NR7 9HE and the woods are there on Woodside road)

I thought it was a bit bigger but hey. Have a good time tomorrow.
I'll prob spend the morning walking in the woods then by lunch go round my mates to get the job done

by the way people I am willing to trade My unused games and consoles for Bushcraft equipment heres the link please do check it out.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38433

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'll prob spend the morning walking in the woods then by lunch go round my mates to get the job done
I'll go to those woods tomorrow,

If you do spot me, I'm the guy on the left with the stupid smile and big green Rucksack;)
I'll be wearing the same jacket, not that hat though!
The big open patch in the middle of the woods looks interesting, probably a mixture of different plants there.
I'll put my Desert Camo tarp up so you don't miss it, If you do see me come over and you can have a cuppa! (no pressure though;) )
x1pdXMbD-RMMPxMDaydhB5pnXUqeWD1ZpLpo-Og3VmbVjUsHXG0ZFfx_l7byHdoW-egcL5tSr7FsyUoTSMw1mdbE4p6Yfzi9AmhsDgpAqULth8

You Might see me there then? It'd be cool!

If you do spot me, I wear mostly green stuff, glasses,a big green Rucksack, and you might spot my tarp I'll use my Desert Camo one so you don't miss it, If you do see me come over and you can have a cuppa! (no pressure though;) )

The big open patch in the middle of the woods looks interesting I'll get my tarp up near that.
:)

Its all dead fern leaves (kinda orangey yellow) at the moment at the contre some how there is a bit of steel and a peices of what i can only assume as a former bed. A bit further south from that position is what i thought to be a washing machine if i remember right.
The woods do literally remove all other outside noise which is amazing seeing as the road on woodside road is rather busy most of the time.

I'll wear my cheapo Tesco Leather jacket its black, blue denim jeans and glasses heh.
I will most likely get in the woods for about 1000-1100 and wonder about till 1200-1300

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Sounds cool,
My desert tarp might actually work well there!

Bed frame? washing machine? damn your woods have got everything!!!:D

Hopefully see you there!

Cheers
Rich

Sounds cool,
My desert tarp might actually work well there!

Bed frame? washing machine? damn your woods have got everything!!!:D

Hopefully see you there!

Cheers
Rich

It was great meeting I (why i put you there i dont know im going mad) learned a lot please tell me of future dates that I should book off from work.

That is so much harder than it looks I couldnt do it in the end
DSCF0355.jpg

Thanks to rich I was able to get it going
DSCF0356.jpg

Thanks again

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Good work Kai. It's always much harder when it's cold and damp. Last time I met up with Rich I couldn't get a spark to hold on my charcloth using flint and steel.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
erm....Kai Leingod respect Is due mate!:You_Rock_

What you didn't mention was that it was your First ever attempt at everything i had going!
First "Firesteel fire"
First "Bramble leaf tea"
and not only could produce smoke heat and a whole load of hot ember with a Bowdrill (some people find it difficult just holding all the parts)!!
but managed to Produce fire from an ember in a "Bird nest" first time !
( I should point out My first attempt failed today i think i dropped the ember!:11doh: )
top marks mate,
If you pick up Bushcraft skills this fast you will go far!

(I was trying the Flint and steel Snufkin gave me and could i get a spark to hold, could i heck!)

Damascus called me just as we were leaving saying he wanted to come but couldn't contact me (damn technology!:( ), anyway he says that March would be a good weekend camp at the Hethel site, and he'll catch a couple of rabbits for us to cook! :You_Rock_
looks like march is soon to be another date in the diary!:D

after meeting up with my mate i managed to get into city to shift my unwanted consoles

With the cash earned (truly pitiful) I went down to the army surplus shop and got some gear
a highlander force 33 camo backpack no frame £30 have payed a lot more for worse.
£4 tarp 100% water proof and tear proof comes wwith some poles for the ground dated 1986 and 1 multi purpose tool with free knife and a compass for £50 yeah that stings but it all has a lifetime guarantee

DSCF0357.jpg

smells like paint
DSCF0358.jpg

DSCF0360.jpg

Probberly the best bit was free thanks Rich
DSCF0359.jpg

also there are no tie points for the tarp i was wondering what tool i need to make a nice secure hole and lump a bit of steel in there?

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nice stuff. Those highlander packs are pretty good for the money. I've a forces 44 that has lasted very well. Re the tarp. You can get eyelet kits in lots of hardware shops, try Thorns near Jarrolds. Mind, you could just get a handful of small, smooth stones. Pop one in each corner,wrap the tarp around it and tie your cord around the stone. Harder to explain than to do.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
That's an excellent starter kit!!

Glad you managed to sell your old gear!:rolleyes:

Shiny! :D :D :D

I like those Knives! not seen that design but I like the curves on it. It looks more comfortable to use than mine!

I have a compass just like yours, I've found they are very good for navigation through woodland or areas with no points of reference, because with the sighting bit you can accurately pick out single trees or bushes whereas a flat compass would be more guessing.

The tarp Is an IPK(Individual Protection Kit), I joined 3 together and made a tarp about 20 by 6 ft!
I found if when you put eyelets in you put it through some other fabric first it greatly strengthens it! you'll find the pegs and cord will last a lifetime! P.s. you can also make a bomb shelter strong enough to drive a tank over with it! ;)
I've had a duff one before (still sealed and unused!) that had holes in!
Globetrotter put a video on Youtube of his son making a shelter with one.

the bag is pretty good as a over-nighter bag, nice bit of shopping!

You can get eyelet kits in lots of hardware shops, try Thorns near Jarrolds
I agree thorns is pretty good for all things DIY, it's "old school" you can buy single screws or bolts. also they are fairly cheep for Meths!

another place worth visiting in that area is Boats'n'Bits on St Benedicts st, they have a huge amount of buckles, rope, cord, (+boat stuff :rolleyes: )and they can fix fabric stuff too!

It's just struck me, I've never asked them but i bet they would run off some tarps If they had a sizable order, Making Sails and fixing them is their business!

Have fun with your new kit! :D

Nice stuff. Those highlander packs are pretty good for the money. I've a forces 44 that has lasted very well. Re the tarp. You can get eyelet kits in lots of hardware shops, try Thorns near Jarrolds. Mind, you could just get a handful of small, smooth stones. Pop one in each corner,wrap the tarp around it and tie your cord around the stone. Harder to explain than to do.

That solution with stones is genious thanks for the tip I will be looking for those eyelet kits

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Wait till we next meet up,

We'll bring our Hammocks so you can see them working before you buy!

I have 2 different ones myself! I think Globetrotter still has 2 also!

(there is quite a difference between the designs).

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Glad you guys had fun - it was a bit too far for me to travel, so instead I spent 6 very enjoyable hours wandering around my favourite wood looking for suitable shaped wood for spoons. Found a couple of elbows that should do well for adze handles, plenty of my all time favourite tinder – Honeysuckle bark (I’ve never had it fail me), a 12 foot length of silver birch so rotten only the bark was felt (do you need fresh bark to make containers out of?) And finally a nice lump of hawthorn (I think) truck – from where they’ve been doing some thinning out – this might be the answer to the question ‘is there a native timber that can be used in the making of a fire piston?’ I’ve been coveting the tree they cut down for that very reason for over a year now, so I was well chuffed when I turned up and found it had been turned into logs :)
Kai – if you have problems sourcing eyelets locally try here (no affiliation etc)
If the next meet up is an overnighter I will be bringing my hammock as well (a Hennessy – my handle belies my size) as I don’t actually have the kit to ground dwell...yet. You will be most welcome to give it a try – so long as you get out of it before I want to go to sleep. I went to turn in on a scout camp last year only to find a scout crashed out in it! He received what was defiantly the epitome of the phrase ‘rude awakening’.

Cheers Mark

Thanks T1tch that website is good value may get some webbing to go with.
My next buy was gonna be a more lightweight tarp along with a water bottle plus metal cup and a swedish army fire steel I just have a cheap flint one at the moment but should do.

I'm gonna get some fire lighters as fuel for the stove RAPPLEBY2000 gave me but I don;t know what the best type of storage would be to keep 'em fresh or how to store meth?

I spent this morning learning quick tie knots and i have learned 3 so far and i only know the name of 1 the siberian knot heh.
By the way guys i dont think i will be able to make march i can't start booking my days of until the end of march I'll see what i can do

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks T1tch that website is good value may get some webbing to go with.
My next buy was gonna be a more lightweight tarp along with a water bottle plus metal cup and a swedish army fire steel I just have a cheap flint one at the moment but should do.

I'm gonna get some fire lighters as fuel for the stove RAPPLEBY2000 gave me but I don;t know what the best type of storage would be to keep 'em fresh or how to store meth?

I'm sure I've got a swedish firesteel knocking around that I don't use. It has plenty of life left in it, you can have it if you like. Remind me before the next meet and I'll bring it along.

yo guys after tinder like hay'n stuff £1.30 odd at my work (Tesco) for a small bag £3.70 odd for the large bag. Did'nt look at cotton wool but they have 2 ltr bladders for £8 odd pounds

And there is some gear at tesco I'm gonna buy like a super lightweight sleeping bag for £20 but it can't handle cold the one that can is £37 thought I would share these small findings

Thanks for the offer Snufkin but I'm gonna buy my own for £10 at the army surplus in norwich plus a bivi bag

here is the bivi http://www.ecamo.co.uk/product/bivi-bag-for-survival-olive-green/427.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE