Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
After damascus left we serched a little further and found another suitable camp area!:lmao:I met a local chap who showed me there are also a row of fruit trees, (pear & apple),

When Damascus left we had lunch Got the fire going again, made Charcloth, and I gave Globetrotter a Bowdrill Masterclass, and was seconds away from his first ember! very good try! I took video with his camera can you put it on here? You_Rock_

shelters005.jpg

Globetrotter, Damascus, Rappleby2000(Me), and sam the dog ;)

shelters006.jpg

One of the seemingly out of place chimneys standing in the woods, the only remains of previous Military housing (billets).

shelters001.jpg

Globetrotter entering one of the many still functional, USAF WW2 bunkers

shelters002.jpg

Globetrotter in same position but shot from outside the bunker, It shows how truely well hidden they are!

sadly we didn't see T1tch but hopefully we'll see you next time!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
those woods look very cool would like to explore some of those bunkers.
A shovel would be useful for some of them!

and we did find 2 that had about 3ft of water in them! (Mozzie heaven!):(

there are also alot of small walled areas with what seems to be 2 rooms(without roofs).
(you can see one behind us in the distance in the group photo)
they also have potential as shelters!

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
this is a random question but what is Damascus holding what looks like a red plastic like gun?

It's a high texh piece of kit used by military over many years and now used by civiliians like us. It's primary use is to help prevent the loss of blood, especially around the thigh area. It also acts as a anti messyguard saving you time from cleaning your tools.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Erm...Globetrotter Is mucking around with you:dunno: (Globetrotter,Please don't joke if a serious question is asked, it confused me for a moment!:nono: ).

It's a very Bright orange sheath for the knife which is in it, the black area you can see (that i looks a bit like a pistol grip) is the handle, it usually has a green sheath. you can see an Orange clip on the back of it Damascus has added a black webbing belt loop which fixes to a belt. It's a very popular knife, this one
ft860m.jpg

Damascus has lost them in the past Hence the bright Orange colour! :rolleyes:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Lol thanks Rich now that it is said I can see it yeah I would just leave it on my belt
Problem with knives on belts especially large ones like that one is you can only do it on private land, I guess we just get used to not wearing them.
I have a large MOD "Survival" knife which I don't take to public areas but even so it usually lives in my bag, Unless I'm using it a lot.
A popular adaption is to wear a knife on a sling over your shoulder so it sit's on your chest.
Take as good look at Knife laws though!

Globetrooter that was a random outburst
:lmao: yes, quite! I'm sure he was just joking:rolleyes:.

Well...boo hoo...:( My car died today!
Managed to drive to the coast to visit my mum, and the car gave up when we got there.
Had a look under the bonnet, looks like the cam-belt has gone, it looks like a ball of string a kittens been playing with! but it was effecting the power steering for some reason:dunno:
Had the car brought back and now it's sat outside the house and i need it repaired before i go anywhere! :rant:
Looks like it'll be local meets untill then!:(

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hi all,
I'm brand new here and live at a place called Debenham in Suffolk. So i hope to be able to meet up with some of you on here......
Thanks for your time.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D
Hi wow, another local!
It must be a springtime thing :lmao:

Hi we look forward to meeting you, I'll send you a PM ASAP!

We don't go south very often but a visit to Thetford is on the cards.
also to the archery meet near Lowerstoft (can't think of the place):eek:

Good to have you onboard!

Damascus said: My dog is devistated, his name is Stanley if you don't mind. HA!
Then why did you keep calling it "Sam" ????

Problem with knives on belts especially large ones like that one is you can only do it on private land, I guess we just get used to not wearing them.
I have a large MOD "Survival" knife which I don't take to public areas but even so it usually lives in my bag, Unless I'm using it a lot.
A popular adaption is to wear a knife on a sling over your shoulder so it sit's on your chest.
Take as good look at Knife laws though!

:lmao: yes, quite! I'm sure he was just joking:rolleyes:.

Well...boo hoo...:( My car died today!
Managed to drive to the coast to visit my mum, and the car gave up when we got there.
Had a look under the bonnet, looks like the cam-belt has gone, it looks like a ball of string a kittens been playing with! but it was effecting the power steering for some reason:dunno:
Had the car brought back and now it's sat outside the house and i need it repaired before i go anywhere! :rant:
Looks like it'll be local meets untill then!:(

you have'nt had much in the way of luck realy now have you well hope the Mechanic does'nt charge you an arm and a leg!

Best of luck rich!!!

Gonna go plowing into the woods i live near again see what i can find

another random question how do i go about getting permission to camp on some ones back lawn? (e.g. forest / woods)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
another random question how do i go about getting permission to camp on some ones back lawn? (e.g. forest / woods)

That one we'd all like to find out!:(

Basically you need to contact and ask the landowner.
but, first you need to work out who it is, a bit of a library/council job
Then you need to convince the landowner you have good intentions and you aren't going to damage their property.

even if this goes to plan the land owner may have a mountain of red tape about subjects like:
Disposal of waste (and Human waste),
are you being a "Goodie" going to invite potential "baddies"
Fire regulations (you may not be allowed an open fire).
fears over insurance(are you going to claim for tripping over that fallen tree?).
There may be areas of protected plants/wildlife.

a positive though, Some scout sites will oblige, but because of child security you'd not be allowed to camp whilst Children are on site(which is usually weekends:( )

to put it simply it's hard work!

If it is literally a garden in the city, it's up to the house owner.
your main issue is going to be toilet use, do they give you a Backdoor key, or do you use a bucket.

Which land were you considering?
(I doubt you'll find a usable site within Norwich boundry)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Regarding permission for camping..Either find the landowner and ask permission or write a letter explaining what you would like to do:eg,fires,woodcutting,gathering ect..:deal: They can only say no!
Looks like the Hethel meet was good!Im not jealous!!BTW,did you see the ancient Hethel thorn?Reputedly very old...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Regarding permission for camping..Either find the landowner and ask permission or write a letter explaining what you would like to do:eg,fires,woodcutting,gather ing ect.. They can only say no!
very well put! I'll ask you next time ;)

Looks like the Hethel meet was good!Im not jealous!!BTW,did you see the ancient Hethel thorn?Reputedly very old...

We Did see the Hethel thorn from a distance, but it looked ever so much like every other thorn bush.

Yup It was nice, a bit confusing though as we are so used to public areas doing the normal:
1, "set up a tarp"(if it's raining)
2, "get a brew on"
3, "playing with new toy's (if you can get away with it!)"
4, and move on to a different area to do the same(obviously it's better than it sounds or we wouldn't do it!).

Having a free to use wood is nice, but you sort of don't know where to start:rolleyes:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I think ive only done online foodshopping once.Never again."sorry,we had no leeks so we have substituted them for cat food."

ok..not really.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I think ive only done online foodshopping once.Never again."sorry,we had no leeks so we have substituted them for cat food."

ok..not really.

I can top that anyway! :lmao: :lmao:

Last time they delivered, it was at night and the van reversed into the rear of our car:eek: , hence the rusty dent, for those who wondered!

We find when they substitute they tend to "up-sell" ie try to sell us something far more expensive, good thing is you can reject anything you don't want.
we're still trying to decide wether it's a "greener" way to shop.

heh i know some of those Tesco van drivers a couple of them are alright guys just make sure you put delivery down as an early one i guess.

It makes me lough some times people order something they don't like the pee's or something then drive to Tesco's to exchange them :? oh well

gonna build my bow-drill to day (well at least try)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
It makes me lough some times people order something they don't like the pee's or something then drive to Tesco's to exchange them :? oh well
I'd just chuck em, in the back of the cupboard for a rainy day! or if i really didn't like them:yuck: I'd give them to my Neighbour!:lmao:
gonna build my bow-drill to day (well at least try)
Good luck! I'm look forward to seeing it!
If you need any parts I have some you can have:
hazel drills (very dry!)
Poplar (which was cut recently needs drying but will do you well).
and some flints with dips you could use as a bearing block.

And remember the bow, don't make it too springy or the string won't grip the drill!
Any problems just ask!
;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE