Newbie to knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I'm looking for a good robust bush craft knife that I can use regularly in the woods.
Been looking at the F1, but this seems to have a convex grind (how do you sharpen a convex grind?) and doesn't have a drop point.
I do have a frosts mora but fancy something a bit more chunky (if thats the word)
I would love a ray mears woodlore but these are well out of my price bracket.
Have about £70 to spend any ideas.
Cheers Dave.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
For a first "bushy" knife you would be wise to stick to your Mora for a while. :)

These are not "second best" or "toys" but are used by some very experienced outdoors people as the knife of choice.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
hammy said:
Been looking at the F1, but this seems to have a convex grind (how do you sharpen a convex grind?) and doesn't have a drop point.

Cheers Dave.

This seems to be a common fear but convex grinds and edges are easy to maintain. A simple method is to carry a hard arkansas stone. This stone will not reprofile your edge but just maintain it's razor sharpness. It is unlikely you will need more than this for the average field trip. Another option is to carry some wet/dry sandpaper. Lay the sandpaper across your leg and drag the knife across the sandpaper in the direction opposite the edge. A third option is to buy or make a small wooden sanding block, glue a mousepad to it, and affix some sandpaper and sharpen as above. If you use a fairly light wood, these blocks contribute little to pack weight.

hones1b.jpg

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
Cheers for all the advice.
The £70 quid I had in my pocket was burning a hole so, I've spent it!!!!!!!
I've just ordered the EKA W11
Will let you all know what I think when it arrives.
This knife will get some stick this summer as I'll be out and about most weekends chopping firewood, woodland stuff etc, etc.
Ordered it from Heinnie Haynes.
After advice found on BB
Thanks again Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE