New Year Weight Loss motivation thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Isn't that 1500 calories very low for a Man? I assume its 1500 calories for the duration of the diet ( not intersperesed with higher and lower calorie days )

Just seems very low to me , but if it works for you it works.

Depends very much on your activity levels.

To lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit; ie, you must consume fewer calories than you burn. A pound of body fat has about 3500 calories, so if you have a daily deficit of 500 calories you will lose about a pound a week - which is realistic and achievable.

The British army 24 hour ration packs have about 4000 calories if you consume everything in it. I have done trips in mountain country, walking 15 miles a day with a 12kg pack, and probably burning about 4000 calories a day in the process. Unfortunately my regular job is pretty sedentary (I'm a GP) and my daily calorie burn is around 2000 calories. So the 1500 calorie restriction is not unreasonable when trying to lose weight. Some people go for very low calorie diets of 800, even 500 calories a day but these are generally nutritionally incomplete, not suitable for longer term, can lead to 'yo-yo' dieting, and I am generally not keen on that idea.

A 500 calorie a day deficit works well for most overweight/obese people - you lose a pound a week, or a stone in 3 months or so, but are unlikely to run into any problems.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
How about putting off the Jogging and Weights for a little bit until you lose some more weight? I've had shin splints before from trying to get back into running too quickly ( after adding quite a bit of bodyweight ) and they were with me for a very l-o-n-g time after. Could i suggest some simple Circuits on two lines of a football pitch until your weight comes down further so you won't be hammering joints with increased loads and allow a little transistion time.

On the football pitch light jogging to one line where you do ( Free weight squat / Squat thrusts / Push ups / Star jumps ) and then jog or walk back to the original line and repeat. The small jogging interval will get your legs and ankles used to your bodyweight again and the Circuits as very challenging enough to tweak the BMR and keep the muscles 'tweaked' without overloading your CNS.

Just a suggestion , I'd hate for you to get shin problems as I had them , took YEARS to sort out properly.

Very good point.

One new year I started exercising too fast, too soon and ended up with Achilles tendinopathy, which held me back. Slow and steady is the way to go.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Running total for the BCUK New Year Weight Loss Cunning Plan:

Doc 1.7kg
Bowlander: 2.26kg
Total: 3.96kg

Glad to hear how other folks are doing. As Week One includes three holiday days, holding the weight steady is still a success. As mentioned previously, a kilo weight loss in week one is very good going indeed, and half a kilo is very satisfactory. Am slightly surprised how Bowlander and I have lost so much in week one and I wouldn't want anyone to think this is a target.

Keep going guys. Eat less, move more!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
To lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit; ie, you must consume fewer calories than you burn. A pound of body fat has about 3500 calories, so if you have a daily deficit of 500 calories you will lose about a pound a week - which is realistic and achievable.

Yep , appreciate/acknowledge all of that. So would you mind giving the guys a breakdown of what constitutes a 1500 calorie a day diet , many here may benefit from actually seeing a list of what that entails so they have a 'minds eye' idea of how much is how much. I doubt everyone here is going to have time to weigh out there food.

EDIT - This may be of use to some http://www.firstpath.com/1500_day1.htm

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Ok im in my starting total is 14st and 3.5lbs.

Is there a certain day during the week where we all weigh and post the results, ive got to go out and havent time to read through the 7 pages. thanks guys and good luck, seems everyone is doing really well already.

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
Good news from my Physio today- I don't need to see him again. I'm not fixed ( waiting on nhs to get a pair of Orthodics) but if I continue with my exercises I can try a run/long walk by the end of the month. First time since June.

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510e using Tapatalk

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good stuff, guys.

There's no set date to weigh yourself - just post when you feel like it- , but the research shows that regular (ie weekly) weight checks improve weight loss, most likely by the effect on motivation. It's best not to weigh more often than weekly, as it can get a mite confusing.

I don't get to obsesssive with calorie counting but it's pretty easy nowadays when everything is labelled. I keep ballpark figures in my head (an apple is about 50 cals, an egg about 80). The few calories in things like diet coke, coffee with no sugar and a splash of semi-skimmed, etc, I just ignore.

The key thing is to keep going the first 2 weeks or so, by which time you feel the difference, and weight loss on the scales is obvious. Then you are 'in the groove' and it's easier to keep it going.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Sorry for sticking my oar in again but I can't help thinking that some of ya's are trying to loose wieght too quickly. It's better to loose those pounds slowly & steadily over a long period & combine it with a real long term desire to change your life styles & live & eat more healthily in the future.............
If you're loosing weight just to loose weight & by the quickest way possible then as soon as you give up ( & you will without a long term aim) not only will you rapidly regain the weight so painfully lost but you will put on even more.(yoyo effect)
Frustration is the worst enemy of dieters & the best diet is to eat everything but is smaller quantities......for example if you feel like some chocolate, don't deprive yourselves but just eat a few squares /mouthfuls & not the whole bar/packet:rolleyes:

Good luck to you all anyway & hold on in there !!!

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Good advise Wolfy
Its allways the same for me though the first weeks bad mostly in the mind me thinks , loads of bad habits to watch ,,,,
it soon calms down when I get in the grove takes about a week for me

Twodogs

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks for the tips guys - I've bought myself some Skytec Argon gloves from the local Ag Merch for £5, they are fantastic - warm and waterproof. I'll have to look up Burpee's and full ******** on google - might be a fun search! I'm not using proper weights, just my grandads old 'fold bar' - its a rod of iron weighing c.10kg.

Doc - you mentioned that newly laid down fat is the easiest to loose, this is probably what happened to me as I put on the extra stone in the month before Christmas. I think I'll get to 14 and a half fairly easily but it'll be spring/summer before I go below 14 when I start doing some long distances walking during the day and am flat out in the veg garden in an evening.

I'm not really trying to loose weight quickly, the results have surpirsed me, I'm just trying to get fitter and eat more healthily. I am resisting the urge to snack in an evening, I know if I have a taste I'll want more.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I was 18st on new years day, I was 14 st last new years. I've lost nearly a stone since new years.

A mate of mine who is a pro cage fighter told me to eat, tuna, radish, red onion, and cannellini beans with balsamic vinegar on it. Its what he has to eat if he needs to lose weight for a fight. Apparently, its hard for your body to digest, so you burn off fat digesting it and you feel full all day.

It works, but you get sick of eating it after a few days.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Ok I will jump in as well, just as soon as I have changed the wii from pds to kilos, even if that means nothing to me for body weight! 2lbs lost in the first week, although it might have been a mistake to set start weight before the New Year excess.

I am never going to get to the frankly silly as any target "ideal weight" but if I could return to what I was at 18 by the time I am 50 next year that would be great. As my GP said, "it is not easy, if it was do you think I would look like this?" - end of conversation. Something slightly more helpful would have been nice though! Hopefully this thread can help there.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A mate of mine who is a pro cage fighter told me to eat, tuna, radish, red onion, and cannellini beans with balsamic vinegar on it. Its what he has to eat if he needs to lose weight for a fight. Apparently, its hard for your body to digest, so you burn off fat digesting it and you feel full all day.

How many meals a day are you eating that for?

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Shin splints are really the worst injury for weight loss ( IMO ) as it suddenly restricts any sort of movement you can do , but as mentioned really fast walking ( not the ridiculous Olympics walking ) but speed marching can be as good as Jogging.

Get some gloves , seriously Free weight Squats, Squat thrusts , Burpees and full ******** are great exercises using loads of muscle groups ( most importantly the big ones for max cal burn - Bum , Thighs etc) and can be done without getting a CNS burnout , so say your walking the dog , brisk walk for a 10 count on your Left foot , stop do 10 Free wight Squats ,Walk for 10 count , Stop , Do 10 Squat thrust etc.

Find a less boggy field!! And well done.

I give up - what's a full bar steward? Youtube came through with good demo's of Burpees ( a very nice german lady :eek:) and squats but can't find anything other than a band with the same name.

How fast is speed marching? Most of my walking kms are across the fell and 6 kmh is my maximum. Never measured my walking speed on metalled road though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I give up - what's a full bar steward? Youtube came through with good demo's of Burpees ( a very nice german lady :eek:) and squats but can't find anything other than a band with the same name.

How fast is speed marching? Most of my walking kms are across the fell and 6 kmh is my maximum. Never measured my walking speed on metalled road though.

Best close-ish demo of full b-stard is the following , a full b-stard would be a clap push-up with a star jump at the end of it. However just do the Push-up and Stand upright to start with as its a complex exercise that can burn lots of cals and give the CV and LME ( Local Muscular Endurance ) and good tickle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAcabpA75HU&feature=related

Speed for Speed marching , just go as quick as you go in a march , a true speed march would be march on Uphill sections whilst a Jog/run on the Flat and Decline. You are really just aiming to get 'breathy' but without sticking loads of shock onto your ankles and knees until you have lost some more weight. With speed marching you may at the start get cramping up the front of your shins , this tends to be just cramp in the Anterior Tibialishttp://isearch.avg.com/search?cid={...6 21:02:39&sap=ku&snd=did&q=anterior+tibialis from doing an unusal exercise, it will pas as you get conditioned to it.

Great work , keep it going!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How many meals a day are you eating that for?

Just the one, at lunchtime. Because its hard to digest, your still full at tea time. I normally have a banana or two for brekkie, that for dinner, no tea and maybe a snack later. I've not been hungry while i've been eating it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE