New Year Weight Loss motivation thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well today is the start for me... unfortunately I'd been indulging a bit over the last few days so my starting weight is 21st 7lb, up 2lbs from what I'd declared on the 29th :eek:

Good luck to everyone else who's going to be trying to loose their weight :)

MAGENTA JEN

Jan 2, 2012
uk
OH BOY ... well yeah I 'spose I could stand to lose a couple of pounds I'm hoping all this extra walking I'm doing with our dog will help out. I got my fingers crossed for all of us x

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If I get any wider around the waist my rucksack waist strap won't reach, so action definitely needs to be taken.

I think I need a new rucksack... ;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
All you need is will-power.:)

Don't fill you gizzards to over flowing,
Eat less meat & carbohydrates,
cut down or stop altogether alcohol consumption,
Take more exercise ( hide those car keys)
& 20 minutes a day of isometric exercises to keep it all firm & toned.....

Your'll lose weight for sure but you won't live any longer..............................it will just seem like it.:D

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've started watching portion sizes and drinking lots of water (good tip Doc!) instead of brews with 2 sugars in - when I do have a brew I've knocked off the sugar - 20 cals per spoonful!.

I've stopped finishing off my wife and sons left overs - the dogs are very happy!

I'm jogging around the field with the dogs instead just mooching or sitting on the bench, with wellies and waterproofs on its like wearing a sauna suit.

If I really fancy a snack I have a bit of fruit.

Feeling the benefit already - sleeping better (less caffeine) and feel fitter.

Hopefully the weather will be good for fieldwork tomorrow so should get a few km in.

When's the next weigh in?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
How's it going, guys?

Just stepped on the scales: 81.9kg compared to 83.6kg seven days ago - so that's a 1.7kg loss ( over 3.5 lbs) in just a week. That is unusually fast for me. It's normal to lose about 1 kg (2.2lb) in the first week, after that I find it settles down to about 0.5kg per week.

I've been restricting to about 1500 calories a day, cut the alcohol down (but not out!) and walking a bit more.

So so far, so good! Aiming for 78kg just now, 75kg would be better but it does get harder.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Oh i like this thread, think i will join in on it if you dont mind, got lands end to john o'groats to walk in april, so my thinking is that if i could loose 1st or even 1 and half stone, then thats a stone less i have to carry for 1200 miles or so, and therefore a stone less weight on my knees etc... Will weigh myself in the morning and post and then see how i get on for the next 4 months.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
You're very welcome to join the happy throng, Col, as is anyone else.

In the past I've spent a lot of cash on ultralight gear, but shedding the surplus weight makes more sense.

Might also be worth keeping a total of our combined weight loss - currently standing at 1.7kg but I hope others will be ading to it shortly.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've been restricting to about 1500 calories a day, cut the alcohol down (but not out!) and walking a bit more.

Isn't that 1500 calories very low for a Man? I assume its 1500 calories for the duration of the diet ( not intersperesed with higher and lower calorie days )

Just seems very low to me , but if it works for you it works.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I was 15st 8lb on the 29th Dec and am now 15st 3lb. I make that 2.26 kg loss. I've lost 3.17kg in a week before but that was hill walking 15 - 20 km a day in the heat so most of it would have been sweat

I'm getting a bit of pain in some of my joints after jogging and lifting weights but the rest of me is feeling much better.

I'm still eating normal meals (with desserts) but watching the portion sizes - I weighed out the pasta tonight and 80g (pre boiling) isn't much, it still filled me up though, especially after 500ml of water drank before and during the meal.

Good luck chaps.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm getting a bit of pain in some of my joints after jogging and lifting weights but the rest of me is feeling much better.

How about putting off the Jogging and Weights for a little bit until you lose some more weight? I've had shin splints before from trying to get back into running too quickly ( after adding quite a bit of bodyweight ) and they were with me for a very l-o-n-g time after. Could i suggest some simple Circuits on two lines of a football pitch until your weight comes down further so you won't be hammering joints with increased loads and allow a little transistion time.

On the football pitch light jogging to one line where you do ( Free weight squat / Squat thrusts / Push ups / Star jumps ) and then jog or walk back to the original line and repeat. The small jogging interval will get your legs and ankles used to your bodyweight again and the Circuits as very challenging enough to tweak the BMR and keep the muscles 'tweaked' without overloading your CNS.

Just a suggestion , I'd hate for you to get shin problems as I had them , took YEARS to sort out properly.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
reet im hoying me hat in the ring too !
im 6ft 1 and weigh 153 kg - 24 stone 1.5 lbs !
i know all the right things to do and what to eat but its just the motivation to get off my fat **** and go outside to exersize that i need !
anyway good luck lads and lasses on your weight loss trials and tribulations !

cheers andrew.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You don't HAVE to run/jog either, brisk walking is just as good & puts less stress on the body..................no point in damaging your joints & collapsing with a heart attack is there?...................if you feel you must run,, wait until you're in better shape, slowly does it.:approve:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
How about putting off the Jogging and Weights for a little bit until you lose some more weight? I've had shin splints before from trying to get back into running too quickly ( after adding quite a bit of bodyweight ) and they were with me for a very l-o-n-g time after. Could i suggest some simple Circuits on two lines of a football pitch until your weight comes down further so you won't be hammering joints with increased loads and allow a little transistion time.

On the football pitch light jogging to one line where you do ( Free weight squat / Squat thrusts / Push ups / Star jumps ) and then jog or walk back to the original line and repeat. The small jogging interval will get your legs and ankles used to your bodyweight again and the Circuits as very challenging enough to tweak the BMR and keep the muscles 'tweaked' without overloading your CNS.

Just a suggestion , I'd hate for you to get shin problems as I had them , took YEARS to sort out properly.

Its my shins that are causing a bit of grief so thanks for the timely warning. I put it down to jogging in wellies!

I've been doing star jumps but try I not to do anything where my hands touch the ground as its a very boggy field.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Its my shins that are causing a bit of grief so thanks for the timely warning. I put it down to jogging in wellies!

I've been doing star jumps but try I not to do anything where my hands touch the ground as its a very boggy field.

Shin splints are really the worst injury for weight loss ( IMO ) as it suddenly restricts any sort of movement you can do , but as mentioned really fast walking ( not the ridiculous Olympics walking ) but speed marching can be as good as Jogging.

Get some gloves , seriously Free weight Squats, Squat thrusts , Burpees and full ******** are great exercises using loads of muscle groups ( most importantly the big ones for max cal burn - Bum , Thighs etc) and can be done without getting a CNS burnout , so say your walking the dog , brisk walk for a 10 count on your Left foot , stop do 10 Free wight Squats ,Walk for 10 count , Stop , Do 10 Squat thrust etc.

Find a less boggy field!! And well done.

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Right.

My weight has got more and more out of control over the past couple of years.

And since I broke my rib in October, I've put on 10lbs.:eek:

It's come to a head today. My first paddle since my accident. I felt weak as a kitten, not flexible enough to kneel in the centre of the canoe. My shoulders hurt, and I'm miserable. Bugger this.

Starting weight 20st 10lbs.

Target will be 15st 7lbs. I've always looked a bit flabby, but back then I was cycling 250 miles a week and had a resting heart rate of 51; not an athlete, but reasonably healthy.

Weight this time next week will be 20st 8lbs. No more beer, smaller portions of food, an extra walk for my dog every day, and 2 20 mile bike rides.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE