Nettle cordial recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I did a search on here and found no recipe so here goes!

The ingredients are just a version of the standard Elderflower recipe.
200g of chopped up nettle tops
1kg Caster sugar
50g citric acid
500ml boiling water

nettle_cordial_1.jpg

Mix the sugar into the boiling water until dissolved, add the citric acid and then the nettles. Cover and chill when cool.

nettle_cordial_2.jpg

It starts to look like it's turning after a couple of days-have faith! It needs stirring each day too.

nettle_cordial_3.jpg

After five days strain it through a muslin. It comes out a surprising colour and due to the differing sugar/ water ratio from Elderflower you need less cordial. it kind of reminds me of a 'green' tasting old fashioned lemonade

nettle_cordial_4.jpg

This is a 1 litre bottle so I guess this makes about three quarters of a litre.

I added 50g instead of the recipe's suggested 40g due to the sugar content...next time I'd reduce the sugar as it is very syrupy but a little goes a long way.

The recipe didn't say to chop the nettles up but it seemed a way of maximising them.

The nettles near me are a bit leggy but the ones in shade, or growing near the ground are OK.

It's nice mixed with Elderflower cordial.

After a day I tried the leaves out of the mixture and although a tad chewy, they are really quite palatable.

The recipe suggested leaving it a week, I reckon five days is fine and it tasted OK after two but more 'greeny'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE