It's cold, but the house smells lovely :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fifteen years or so ago (yes, it really has been that long, and we've been blethering for that long on the forum) I mentioned that Himself made tablet, and some was duly sent to folks.

It's awfully good :) even if it is an enormous sugar rush.
Commercial tablet is hard and sugared out, it needs to keep, but good tablet is pale and soft and melts in the mouth :)

Tonight he made another batch, and I went to find the recipe to add a link when I posted some to a friend.

I thought I'd share, and ask for your recipes for stuff that make the house smell lovely at this cold time of the year.

Tablet beats Kendall Mint cake I reckon, both for taste and just sheer energy :)

Tablet Recipe

Ingredients
1kg bag of sugar
½ can of sweetened condensed milk
125g of butter
1 cup of milk or water
Method
Butter a tray ready for the tablet.
Have a mug of cold water ready for testing
Put all the ingredients in a high sided pan.
Stir continuously on a medium heat until all the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Turn the heat up a bit.
Boil stirring continuously until when some of the tablet is dropped into cold water and you push it with your finger it forms a soft ball.
The tablet should be light coloured not brown. It is better to take it off the heat too early rather than too late. You can always reheat it if its too soft.
Stir the tablet vigorously until it becomes thick . If you cool the pan in cold water this saves you getting a sore arm.
Pour the tablet into the buttered tray to set.
Enjoy scraping out the pot.
Bribe somebody else to do the washing up.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Made stuffed baked apples on Monday. Baking apples stuffed with an oat based crumble - whole rolled oats, stewed plums and figs, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, dark Muscavado and olive oil. Topped with blackberries and raspberries.
I can still smell it in the kitchen.

A group of us met on Monday around a fire by a berry covered holly tree in my garden.
Good conversation and good food. The rain held off just long enough.
Bliss!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE