My 1 year of Fire Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Well done again Tank
Yes I can confirm it was all your own work. Good job.

Looks like the char cloth is sorted now too - great weekend then!
Woods wise we might be able to help with at some point if you still need it.
Today bowdrill, tomorrow the world!

Mark

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Well done again Tank
Yes I can confirm it was all your own work. Good job.

Looks like the char cloth is sorted now too - great weekend then!
Woods wise we might be able to help with at some point if you still need it.
Today bowdrill, tomorrow the world!

Mark

Cheers i am sure it was all down to your instructions :) will be trying the dead standing birch that was across from my flat, finger crossed i will be able to reenact the weekends events succesfully.

Was a cracking weekend and also had a good start to the weekend as a steel stricker arrived in the post this morning so i know what i will be doing once i get home :) think i will have a scout for some dried grasses on my way home.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i like this idea for learning a skill set i may have to nick it lol

from what i can see you havent mentioned about how you are going to expand your knowledge on trees. with this is mind i can highly reccomend a little mini book by collins gems called 'Trees'. the isbn number is 978-0-00-718306-7.
its small enough to fit in your pocket and the illustrations and descriptions are very detailed so you can have a flick through and easily identify any trees you come across.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
permanganate and sugar, or permanganate and a few drops of anti freez, the first one yoiu need to mix two parts sugar and one part permanganate, thoughrally, and then put that on a rock, and squash it down and draw your knife backwords.
the secon one, you need a tea sppon of permanganate, and two drops of anti freez, put that in some paper goose neck the paper, and squash together leave to do its work, and bobs your uncle you have fire, its a great bit of kit to pack.
hope that helps mate.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
For materials at the moment try a bit of punk wood
i got some to take a spark and made a good ember yesterday-dry weather being the key
great post

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Permanganate?

I went to buy some of this yesterday... Down to the local lloyds pharmacy and when i asked if they sold it, i got stunned look, they slowly asked why i wanted it. so told them the truth.. that i wanted it to start a fire explaining the bushcraft reason behind it...... and they said "we dont sell it in the crystal form as its a main ingredient for a bomb"

Just for a heads up to others, dont go asking at you lloyds pharmacy for Permanganate, unless you want to be looked at like a mad man! also maybe dont say you want it to start a fire lol.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I went to buy some of this yesterday... Down to the local lloyds pharmacy and when i asked if they sold it, i got stunned look, they slowly asked why i wanted it. so told them the truth.. that i wanted it to start a fire explaining the bushcraft reason behind it...... and they said "we dont sell it in the crystal form as its a main ingredient for a bomb"

Just for a heads up to others, dont go asking at you lloyds pharmacy for Permanganate, unless you want to be looked at like a mad man! also maybe dont say you want it to start a fire lol.

Hehe, I got the same looks from the local bakery when I asked them if they sell vitamin C! I put it in my tea instead of lemon. Apparently they thought I was a drug dealer...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Apparently the only way to get pot per is under license in large quantities.
I assume splitting it up and selling it on is a no-no too - otherwise group buy time!

Mark

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Apparently the only way to get pot per is under license in large quantities.
I assume splitting it up and selling it on is a no-no too - otherwise group buy time!

You can buy it quite easily. There are regulations about it but they aren't onerous. Basically the seller is supposed to know the customer and what he'll be using the stuff for. If you resell you need to register with the Home Office:

http://www.reagent.co.uk/potassium-permanganate-lrg.html

You can buy small quantities easily enough, it's a few pence per gramme depending on purity etc..

I think this is mostly about illegal drug manufacture.

willyengland

Jul 7, 2011
UK
Want to show you my blow pipe to get the fire going:
(images from today)

bv00vuy8aqadw6oo7.jpg

bv00w6d42jb7atobr.jpg

It rocks:
bv00woorwp0qpngx3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE