multi fuel stove....what fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most of these stoves come with two sets of jets Chris

Jet one is "petrol" (Unleaded petrol, Aspen 4, Panelwipe)

Jet Two is "diesel" (Paraffin, Kero, Heating Oil, Avgas etc.)

In all cases the "cleaner" grades of fuel are less likely to clog up the stove

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks OK that. I usually use petrol with the occasional tank of panel wipe to keep it sweet. But on expedition used diesel as it was more available. Wouldn't be using meths as you shouldn't put it under pressure. I imagine the instructions will tell you that if you get one. Worth a wee try at that price though. If you do let us know how you get on with it please.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
having never used any other liquid fuel than meths whats best, like i say i can get hods of kero, does that work well or do people have problems with it?????

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I am told though I have not tried, that it is ok to use dirty fuel like petrol provided that after prolonged use you boil the jet in water for 20 minutes or so. The build up of gunge apparently turns to a soft jelly and can be poked out with a wire. Fuels like Apen 4 are getting harder to find as is any kind of panel wipe. Coleman fuel costs a fortune to use. Fuel based stoves are a bit of a minefield.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Looks OK that. I usually use petrol with the occasional tank of panel wipe to keep it sweet. But on expedition used diesel as it was more available. Wouldn't be using meths as you shouldn't put it under pressure. I imagine the instructions will tell you that if you get one. Worth a wee try at that price though. If you do let us know how you get on with it please.

some of the lads here have got them, thats where i got the idea from another thread, they seem to work very well so they say..... but what about kero as a main fuel, i want to keep costs down hence the multi fuel stove to start with, and winter camping if i ever get a chance, gas just does not like the cold and meths is slow and dislikes the cold and winter wind....:(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The only trouble with kero / paraffin is that you need to preheat it to get it to vapourise in cold weather - usually filling the cup in the top of the burner with meths and lighting it - then pumping through the paraffin when it burs down.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
having never used any other liquid fuel than meths whats best, like i say i can get hods of kero, does that work well or do people have problems with it?????

Kero can be a pain in the bum to preheat, though stoves of this design tend to be OK once you know what you're doing. Basically the heavier/oilier fuels are harder to vaporise at lower temperatures and a lot of pump fuels re pretty dirty. Though if you look after it and as has been said use it on full pelt rather than a simmer it tends to keep it cleaner. Is that a help?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
that does help, so really i need to find a source of panel wipe rather than taking all sorts of fuel just to have a brew when im cold camping.....

im a bit more confused than before now...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good paraffin works fine in my experience - just use a little meths to prime it with. They used to sell a priming "paste" but I use barbecue lighting gel - 50p a bottle in B&Q end of season (its alcohol gel - hand sanitiser works too).

If you use higher grade fuels like Aspen 4T the you don't need to prime with anything other than the fuel itself

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
that does help, so really i need to find a source of panel wipe rather than taking all sorts of fuel just to have a brew when im cold camping.....

im a bit more confused than before now...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Using a lighter type of fuel negates having to carry two liquids (one to preheat in the cold) and so reduces admin and possible mistakes. So much cheaper and quicker than gas/meths. And great for melting snow in winter for liquid water. Most of the time for recreational use I found unleaded to be fine and available as long as you maintained the stove - which I secretly enjoy anyway.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hhhhmmmmmmm, might need to call into the workshops at work....:)

panel wipe or break drum cleaner could be the way forward.....;)

thanks gents, most helpful....

regards.

chris.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This stove comes with one general purpose jet like the Optimus Nova. It burns very well on paraffin (kerosene). Pre heating with a bit of meths is not a hassle once you've done it a few times, becomes second nature and is my fuel of choice in this type of stove. Paraffin is safer to use especially if cooking under a tarp or in a tent porch. You can also use standard thread gas cartridges with this stove. A good value for money stove that is also easy to fit into a Trangia making the best winter stove combo going.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
This stove comes with one general purpose jet like the Optimus Nova. It burns very well on paraffin (kerosene). Pre heating with a bit of meths is not a hassle once you've done it a few times, becomes second nature and is my fuel of choice in this type of stove. Paraffin is safer to use especially if cooking under a tarp or in a tent porch. You can also use standard thread gas cartridges with this stove. A good value for money stove that is also easy to fit into a Trangia making the best winter stove combo going.

What Ric said really, paraffin is cheep and prime well, if your going to use brake drum cleaner (IIRC methanol) then make sure it's in a well ventilated area. If I could fine the link, it would show that lots of the Everest accents used paraffin stoves no problems, 210 model I think?
Si

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Good paraffin works fine in my experience - just use a little meths to prime it with. They used to sell a priming "paste" but I use barbecue lighting gel - 50p a bottle in B&Q end of season (its alcohol gel - hand sanitiser works too).
If you use higher grade fuels like Aspen 4T the you don't need to prime with anything other than the fuel itself

Sorry for OT, but just remembered I have a few bottle of BBQ lightening gel in the shed, and was wondering on what purpose they could be used. Will give a try priming kero heaters, lamps and stoves. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Do these cheap stoves have the removable core to the fuel pipe like the MSR ones to enable it to be cleaned?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE