MSR Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I found it an incredibly messy bit of kit (i used either coleman fuel or unleaded petrol)
It used to get covered in soot and moving the legs to set it up or pack it left my hands filthy.

I agree that does do my head in a bit as well, if I can wait until it's cooled the soot wipes off easily enough with a tissue though. I drop the burner into a zip lock bag too for transporting.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have the original XGK stove had it over 15 years now, it has been to war zones, sandstorms, and blizzards and not let me down yet, it is a bit battered but it still works fine, I keep it maintained. It burns kero, petrol, white gas or deiso or even aviation fuel, but i have never tried the last one :)

Ditto! Gulf II, FRY, Afghan, Africa. Run on appalling quality leaded petrol to US JP8 (diesel/aviation fuel). The only thing I don't like about it is the inflexible fuel feed hose.

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
Simmering with a Whisperlite can be done. The thing to remember is that the control valve on the fuel tank is some way from the burner. There is a perceptible delay between making and adjustment with the valve and seeing an effect at the burner. Simmering is achieved by winding the valve shut (for a brief instant) and then opening it a minute fraction. Due to the delayed action the stove won't go out but should settle down to a nice tickover.

I find that keeping an ear open for the whispering to stop lets me know that the valve need to be opened up a tiny bit more. Also if the stove is turned down too low and the flame goes from blue jets to a waving yellow flame it it often visible on the inside of the windshield.

I find the old style tap with the knurled knob easier to adjust precisely than the more modern folding tab style tap.

We have enjoyed many risottos when camping so I know it can be done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE