Modded MOD knife (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I got a MOD knife in a trade here a few weeks back to use as a camp knife and for battoning mainly. I hate hitting my Lance Ockenden blade :) Here's a pic when I first got it

P1010329.jpg

The handle wasn't very comfortable so I thought it would be good for my first attempt at re-handling a knife. I like a dark wood so picked up some African Blackwood scales and took them and a lot of wet/dry paper with me to Loch Ard for a few days. I fixed the scales on with epoxy ans some hidden stailess pins. I haven't oiled them or anything yet but they're much more comfortable.

P1010378.jpg

I had to stop myself going to a finer grit on the blade, it's very relaxing but addictive when sitting by your fire at night rubbing away :)

It's a user and far from perfect but I'm chuffed with my first attempt. Now I just need to finish sharpening it and get some leather tools to make a new sheath.

Here's a pic in hand to show it's size
P1010382.jpg

P1010376.jpg

P1010379.jpg

P1010380.jpg

P1010381.jpg

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Thanks for the comments guys :)

I think I got a bit carried away with the shininess, there was a lot of "just a wee bit more" going on.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fine effort Stuart goodjob

I've been after one myself for a while for the exact same purpose, again my LO is just too pretty to smash with a log on a regular basis.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I love the mods folk do on this knife. This was my first real knife, but could never get to grips with the slabs on the thing, the stonking great blisters it made were unreal.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Nice job Stuart. Can I ask how you removed the guard? Been thinking of modding mine too.

Cheers, Magentus

There was a small weld on either side of my guard, I just ground it down a bit with a Dremmel then snapped it off and cleaned it up. Not exactly subtle but it worked :)

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Thanks for the answer - I haven't got a dremmel so I've been wondering whether to use a hack saw. I don't want to wreck a perfectly good knife if it's not going to work.

Cheers Magentus

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is there any mileage in trying this with the Webtex version does anyone know ?

I'm a bit reluctant to spend the fifty notes on a proper Sheffield model and then set to with the Dremel that's all.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
If your guards anything like mine was you won't really need a Dremmel for the welds. It was just a couple of little spots holding mine on.

There's just a bit of cleaning and reshaping to do after it's off. The Dremmel was handy for that but not essential.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Really nice Stuart, that's exactly the reason I bought my webtex version. It does look so much better and a real pleasure to use as a camp knife goodjob

Did this have a secondary grind on it initially? I'm contemplating filing that away and transforming to a full scandi - feasable do ya think?

Perhaps we should start a thread for our pimped/modded MOD knives?? :lmao:

You up for it Shewie?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE