Medical Emergency - Im Very Very Proud - Read On........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The two boys (13 & 11 years) and one of their friends (13 years) did a ten mile sponsored walk today in aid of charity, I'm proud of them just for doing that, i was going to go with them but in the end decided it was better for me to let them just do it, i knew their route and the whole route has phone coverage, so if they had a problem, help was just a phone call away, what has made me and indeed the whole family proud is the fact that they went way way beyond what anyone could have expected of them, and it has nothing to do with the walk.

When they were a couple of miles into the walk, they happened across a woman who had been thrown by her horse when a dog spooked the animal, when the boys arrived they saw three ADULT mountain bikers already there trying to help, the Adult part here is important, eldest told me when he got home, that his 1st aid training just kicked in as he could see what the bikers had done just wasn't right, whilst youngest and his friend kept the horse safe, eldest went over and informed everyone he was first aid trained and from there in HE took control of the situation, the woman who had been thrown was complaining of neck and back pain, but despite this the bikers had put her in the recovery position, eldest knew this wasn't right, but as the damage had been done he left her there rather than risk moving her again.

He made sure help had been called, which it had, then he grabbed his first aid kit and opened it up and layed it on the ground alongside himself, just in case he needed it, he made sure the lady was warm and then he just sat there talking to her, keeping her calm and making sure she was warm enough and as comfortable as she could be considering the situation.

Shortly the Air Ambulance arrived and landed just down from them, eldest told the Paramedics what had happened and what he had done, then left it to the professionals, all the time remaining close by to answer any questions they might have, the Paramedics after completing their checks and giving her some much needed pain relief, placed the lady on a spinal board and then asked eldest if he could help carry some of the equipment bags back to the chopper, which he did and in the process got to do what he has wanted to do for ages and that is get close to the chopper, although he would have preferred different circumstances, all the time this was going on youngest was keeping the animals under control, i asked him how he had helped and he told me he hadn't, apart from keeping the animals under control and holding a gate open for the paramedics to take the lady through on her way to the chopper, i told him this was equally as important as what eldest had done, as he had made the area safe for a chopper to land and had saved precious time by holding a gate open and that in some circumstance just those few extra seconds he saved, could be the difference between a happy and not happy outcome.

4918762518_0f0c467b47.jpg

Stock Photo Of The Chopper​

So yes i and the entire family are mightily impressed and justly proud of both the boys and their friend this evening, what is even more amazing is a 13 year boy took control of what could have been a potentially dangerous situation and he showed up three adults who did all the wrong things, as eldest said why put he lady in the recovery position when she was awake AND complaining of neck and back pain?, im seriously impressed that he realised THEIR mistake and made the decision to leave her there until the professionals arrived rather than risk making things worse.

What's even more impressive is the fact they then went onto complete their walk in it's entirety, as they didn't want to let people down by shortening it or postponing it to a later date.

If there was ever an argument for getting trained this has to be it, it doesn't cost much to do and only takes a few hours to get basic training, you never know where or when you will need the knowledge, but it could be the difference between life and death in a worst case scenario, the boys thought it would be a regular Sunday and a chance to raise some money for charity, in the end they have shown up their elders and dealt with a serious emergency situation with calmness and courage, yep, we are all mightily proud.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You have every right to be proud. Pass my congratulations on to your two young men.

I'll second Martins comments...

It's nerve wracking dealing with a situation like that regardless of age and they did a really grand job by all accounts.

What was the charity they were raising money for?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys, the boys were outstanding, from what im told the Pilot of the chopper gave the boys a big thumbs up for doing a good job.

What was the charity they were raising money for?

Comic Relief

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Its amazing how calm they remained keeping their heads cool, assessing the situation doing all of the correct things. It just goes to show how important a little knowledge of first aid is. I would be a very proud father indeed.

Ste

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Full marks to both those young men - better than the adults on the scene and both capable of taking responsibility when the adults came up short!
A very mature response to a situation that would have been - and obviously was - beyond many adults!
Excellent!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
That is good drills. Well done them for having the cojones and level headedness to put their training into practice. Well done you for rearing worthy lads.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - the sign of a man is measured in achievement, not time elapsed. Excellent men, raised the right way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE