Mears new series.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It was a good episode, he squeezed quite a bit into it which kept the pace moving well and it showed some good stuff, I liked the split log fire, that was excellent.
I’m surprised Lars hadn’t seen the fish cooked that way before ;)
This is a good series, lots to get people thinking and lots of nice little snippets for people to enjoy :D

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
I agree greatly.

I also want to know the name of the folk singer.

I thought the construction of the knifes handle was stunning to watch!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Tony said:
It was a good episode, he squeezed quite a bit into it which kept the pace moving well and it showed some good stuff, I liked the split log fire, that was excellent.
I’m surprised Lars hadn’t seen the fish cooked that way before ;)
This is a good series, lots to get people thinking and lots of nice little snippets for people to enjoy :D
Agree with you there Tony :)

It may not be so surprising Lars may not have seen it before as 'panassing' like Ray demonstrated tonight originates from North America traditionally (certainly the name does). I think more traditionally they would have done something similar to the way still used by the Fins called 'Loimulohi' or nailed salmon, (a wooden board with the fish nailed to it, originally with wooden nails). Here is a photo showing it:

gastr9_b.jpg

source:The gastronomy of finland

I am sure many different ways to cook fish like this have been used the world over ;)

Another wonderful programme where he really expressed well his real love for these peoples , skills and places.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
At last,
I got to see an episode without the "fizz-pop" of a dodgy video recorder :(
The last few have been a real struggle to make any sense out of as they popped and crackled through the TV. I can't wait till the series comes out on DVD with the extra footage for us bush-nuts.
I could have watched tha knife forging piece for hours, but the whole programme was great - I'll even get to see next weeks episode in real time as well (damned shift work).

ATB

Ogri the trog

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Moonraker said:
Agree with you there Tony :)

It may not be so surprising Lars may not have seen it before as 'panassing' like Ray demonstrated tonight originates from North America traditionally (certainly the name does). I think more traditionally they would have done something similar to the way still used by the Fins called 'Loimulohi' or nailed salmon, (a wooden board with the fish nailed to it, originally with wooden nails). Here is a photo showing it:

gastr9_b.jpg

source:The gastronomy of finland

I am sure many different ways to cook fish like this have been used the world over ;)

Another wonderful programme where he really expressed well his real love for these peoples , skills and places.

I think Lars Fält knows how to cook fish this way but he probably prefers the easy way (like most swedes do).

Will be interesting to see this episode in the future, especially since it´s home for me =)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Viking said:
I think Lars Fält knows how to cook fish this way but he probably prefers the easy way (like most swedes do).

Will be interesting to see this episode in the future, especially since it´s home for me =)
I am sure you are right Johan ;) What is the easy way anyhow :)

I forget that you can't see it already... frustrating. Hopefully the DVD will be out soon.

Cooking fish pegged to a plank made from split log - or held on a lattice of green peeled branches is very common over here in N America. It's really the only way I like my salmon and trout - because despite loving fishing, I'm not fond of fish cooked most ways.
But we learn from each other. There's lots of great ideas coming from all over.

I've spent decades learning the bush here, and so has one of my co-workers. But in all those years we've only been out together once. The amazing thing is that when we sit down to talk, we both learn new things that totally stagger us. What's common simple knowledge to one is a total revelation to the other. It sure brings home the fact that there's so much to know that we'll never do more than scratch the surface.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I think that the second half of the series has been much better than the first. I've been glued to the TV. The canoe trip down the Canadian river was by far the best until last night. Sweden, what a country! Its a place that I have always wanted to visit, now even more so. Well in 4 weeks I'll be there with Gary and Co so you can guess how excited I am now. :D :D

Roll on June, you got that right Gary.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Absolutely briltastic!!!! The eposodes are getting better and better every week :D Enjoyed every moment of it :D Would love to see more of Ray & Lärs together though :D

That split log (seasoned pine) stove was absolutely smart thinking!!
I really can't wait 'till next year to go to Sweden with little Viking, if it's still on by then.

I'm off now :D - got the episode on video ;) :cool:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
OldJimbo said:
I've spent decades learning the bush here, and so has one of my co-workers. But in all those years we've only been out together once. The amazing thing is that when we sit down to talk, we both learn new things that totally stagger us. What's common simple knowledge to one is a total revelation to the other. It sure brings home the fact that there's so much to know that we'll never do more than scratch the surface.
Those are very true words Old Jimbo. Maybe it reflects how society has moved away from the tight knit communities of the past where much was learnt from others around. And how, with the help of the internet, we now learn from friends from all over the globe (who's faces we have never seen), perhaps as an instinctive drive to seek this experience out?. Still, so much can be learnt from those close by.

Knowledge is only a question away......

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Details of the last episode scheduled for next Thursday. Looks another goodie as he finally returns to the British Isles.

Ray Mears' Bushcraft
Thu 19 May, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm 60mins

Four Seasons

In the final programme, Ray returns to Britain; the country he was born in, the place that inspired him to take up Bushcraft, and the land that he calls home.

He shows how a knowledge of Bushcraft sheds new light on every aspect of the changing seasons. He points out the foods and plants that are available, from pig nuts to lime leaves, and shows how Bushcraft helps us to see animals in their natural habitats. Whether it's badgers in the south or Red Deer in Scotland, watching our wildlife invokes a feeling of incredible privilege.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is the one that many have been waiting for :D It has to be good if he keeps up the standard of showing us stuff and it's in the UK, that's a winning combination!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Just watched the Sweden episode, very enjoyable. That trad ski maker certainly knew how to handle an axe.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i just watched the mountain man episode. after the exitement on the forums of the last week, i wonder how many complaints the bbc are going to get after the buffalo hide/trapped beaver segments?

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Double helping tonight. Last in the second series and then at 2.25 am on BBC1 the last prog in the first series as a repeat.

My god..does this mean that the BBC understands scheduling??? :eek: or are the overnight techs big Mearsy fans. :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, tonight’s episode should be good, well I hope it will be! I dare say it will get a lot of people out at the weekend as they'll be able to relate to it more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE