Mears new series.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Just noticed this is not on in Scotland tonight - anybody know when it is?

:( another month I see, well that's just not fair :(

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well guys your in for a treat!

After the disappointment of the first series I have to say I loved every minute of this one.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Fascinating from start to finish - not much to be negative about on this occasion...Glued (or resined ??) to it for the full hour....incredible skills, "1st Nation Culture" in your sitting room, we can't expect much more from 21st century television....the next best thing to being there and having a go ourselves.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Just to add my bit.
I think it was excellent. Just the sort of thing we bushcrafters have been hoping and waiting for.
Even though I won't be going out to make a canoe, it gave you many things that can be used in other areas of bushrcaft (resin, roots into rope).
Just hoping the rest of the series is just as good.

Well done, Ray Mears

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
top marks Mr Mears... Great program, I hope the rest can maintain the brilliance of last nights episode.

I want a birch bark canoe now... and how about those fur traders ones? massive.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Awesome, why oh why did my dad come over here from canada :( , ive bought his first half of the new series on DVD and have re watched it and see it in a very different light now, this program was great and the end product beautiful, I cant even begin to imagine how he felt when it hit the water and he got in it for the first time, "Sigh" Top marks here. ;)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Guys,

as I said over on BB I fell asleep half way through the program last night (due to being very tired and not due to the show!)...I'll watch the rest tonight but what I saw was fantastic... I'd been toying with a birch bark canoe for a few months now but cost is stopping me....

Anyway, here's a couple of interesting links, one for making them and one for buying them....enjoy: (The buying price does seem very reasonable to me).

http://www.squeedunk.com/building.htm

http://www.cyberus.ca/~jriver/

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Michael & I both thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. As Mike went off to bed afterwards he was muttering something about "Granny's got a big cedar in her yard..." That'll test his GB pocket axe!

I think net week is a trip in open canoes.

Cheers,

Dave

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
if only I had somewhere to keep one.

Still I'll settle for a few evenings out on the lakes in Sweden in June - maybe after that I'll try talking SWMBO into my ned for one!!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Gary said:
if only I had somewhere to keep one.

Still I'll settle for a few evenings out on the lakes in Sweden in June - maybe after that I'll try talking SWMBO into my ned for one!!

Did you miss an 'e' or type a 'n' rather than a 'b' in that last sentence?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Huon said:
Did you miss an 'e' or type a 'n' rather than a 'b' in that last sentence?

Smarty pants --- ok it was need for one, never get one in my bed .............

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It was the stitching method that I learned most from, basically a saddle stitch using split roots. I hadn't figured out how two panels of birch bark were joined before. Now I can try and make a birch bark coracle, that should be easier and cheaper than trying a canoe, and if it works, move on to a canoe next year.

Eric

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Fantastic,enjoyed every second of it.I was glued to the tv,the thing what strikes me with Ray Mears is that he is able to comunicate his obvious love and enjoyment of his subject material.You could see how much he was enjoying what he was doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE