Me birthday presents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Am seriously considering doing more bushcrafty stuff outside of scouting so i figured it was about time (with my birthday coming up) to get some kit

Sleeping Bag
I figure anything is a step up from the thin nasty things you get in camping packs from the likes of Halfords and after some feedback from you lovely people i've decided to look at the Vango Nitestar 450 as it seems to tick a few of the boxes I'm in need of and as it turns out is one we recommend to young people use for Duke of Edinburgh

Tent
As with above, We've (me and SWMBO) got a Halford 4 person tent pack jobbie and it works pretty well but if i'm going to do going out on me todd i don't want to lug that around with me so (much thanks to input from you lovely people again) I'm getting a Coleman Bedrock 2

Sharps
I've already got an old leatherman for most things (the main blade however got taken to locksmiths and ground on an angle-grinder and i reckon that's buggered it for resharpening) so I've got myself a Mora 840MG Companion for a bit of bushcraft as i don't think the leatherman will be much cop

Also i've invested in a Bahco Laplander Folding Saw (396LAP) as i hear nothing but good things about it on here.

To go with the above i've got a Fallkniven DC4 to keep the Mora in edge.

I've got clothes and stuff like that, still more things i need to put on my wishlist but that's what i'm expecting in the next few days :)

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Problem reported with the Vango Nightstar is the zip frequently gets caught on the material. Might be worth considering a second hand British military arctic bag normally around 25 pounds used (grade 1)

For tent Id consider either a poncho at around 15 - 20 used (grade 1) maybe even add the wookie liner at around 20 - 25 pounds used (grade 1) or British Army basha around 30 pounds new

For the knife Id myself have the Mora which was a good cheap choice, good knife for the money at around 12 pounds new

Have a look for a Wolverine folding saw as they're used by the military and approx half the price of a Laplander, Id suggest around 8 Pounds new

Last edited:

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
If your only going out in good weather/ rain and mild wind a Tarp might be worth considering (as stater below) You can still be out side while under them, less condensation, far more versatile, you can cook under them and more social if others are with you and takes up less room in yor pack :)

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I have on of those :D Heavier than some but indestructible and packs down fairly small and only once had a condensation issue with it (sorted now just needed a bit nikwax)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE