Martindale machete supplier..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
I need a new machete..

Im going for another Martindale.. Does anyone know a supplier in the UK that stocks the full range...?

I dont think you can buy them from Martindale direct.. unless its in bulk.. Correct me if i'm wrong...

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
You are quite correct when you say that you cannot buy direct, however after a long slog to find a stockist, I think that I may be on to a winner, I will post more when I know more.
I must say that tracking a supplier has been more of a slog that I could have ever imagined, but I believe success is very close.

Watch this space. :)

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Chopper said:
You are quite correct when you say that you cannot buy direct, however after a long slog to find a stockist, I think that I may be on to a winner, I will post more when I know more.
I must say that tracking a supplier has been more of a slog that I could have ever imagined, but I believe success is very close.

Sounds good... :rolleyes:

Are the prices better than the ones on Ebay... :rolleyes:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Chopper said:

Hello Chopper,

I too have been engaged, on and off, in the quest for genuine Martindale products for over a year.

I exchanged emails with Martindale and was given some information to help me identify a genuine Golok No2 (The GLK2-02 is the new production model and can be easily identified as genuine military issue, the original, older, GLK2-01 is harder to identify as genuine). Martindale did state that there is a problem with fakes.

The only place where I could positively identify a No2 as genuine, from the photo of the Golok, was from a supplier in the US. Unfortunately the cost of shipping was greater than the cost of the Golok, which is what prompted me to email Martindale requesting information on a UK supplier of the genuine article. Martindale gave me contact details of two distributors that may have been able to help me. One was in London, the other was in Wrexham.

Martindale also mentioned that they don’t retail directly to the public in the UK because ‘…of problems with offensive weapons…’.

However, having placed an order with an army surplus supplier here in the UK, who assures me that their stock is genuine Martindale, it will be interesting to see what turns up. I have had to wait for about six weeks so far for the Golok, and the retailer has recently advised me that their new stock won’t arrive from the manufacturer until late December.

I’ll let you and Andy know when it arrives, and would be very interested to hear how things develop with your possible source of supply.

Best regards,
Paul.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Paul,

can you keep me posted on how this pans out as well?

It's crazy that Martindale can't provide a list of distributors here in the UK and I'm after a number 2 myself for a trip next year.

Thanks

David

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Try
http://www.sasskit.co.uk/
They appear to have Gollocks showing the Martindale logo.

They used to carry the "Jungle Knife" too, but at £45 (in the US it was $45) I think it may have been re-imported.

I bought my Jungle knife from the US since it was the only way to get one. Martindale apparently are located just down the road from where someone ran amok in a school with a machete...not one of their's, but it must have made their lives a bit tense.

http://www.campshop.co.uk/cat55_1.htm

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
moduser said:
Paul,

can you keep me posted on how this pans out as well?

It's crazy that Martindale can't provide a list of distributors here in the UK and I'm after a number 2 myself for a trip next year.

Thanks

David

Hello David.

No problem, will do.

My guess is that Martindale don’t issue a list of UK distributors because they don’t want to irk their distributors with dozens, if not hundreds, of requests for orders for single items from private individuals, where as they would usually be accepting bulk orders from retailers.

It seems to me that if someone would like to contact a bona fide UK distributor, it might make for a good ‘Group Buy’. If anyone is ‘up for it’ I suggest an approach for the new production GLK2-02 model.

In the mean time, I’ll PM you the contact details of the distributors that were given to me by Martindale, so that you can contact them in respect to your own needs. I’m reluctant to post the details on the forum as a flood of enquiries for single orders would probably be irritating, but a few polite requests might be indulged.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
C_Claycomb said:
Try
http://www.sasskit.co.uk/
They appear to have Gollocks showing the Martindale logo.

They used to carry the "Jungle Knife" too, but at £45 (in the US it was $45) I think it may have been re-imported.

I bought my Jungle knife from the US since it was the only way to get one. Martindale apparently are located just down the road from where someone ran amok in a school with a machete...not one of their's, but it must have made their lives a bit tense.

http://www.campshop.co.uk/cat55_1.htm

Hello Chris,

The two sites you mention do seem to have the genuine article.

As an aside, I am informed by Martindale, that the Golok No2 design was developed by the British Army and it was an adaptation of a locally made Malaysian Parang (I’ve coveted RM’s parang for some while now). I can’t tell whether the No2 on the site you give, is the GLK2-01 or GLK2-02 without seeing the other side of the blade.

Having just checked the American site (Not sure if this is the same one you mention) that was offering the GLK2-02 at $49.99 it seems that for some reason they will no longer be able to supply the Golok.

Best regards,
Paul.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
It is rather silly we cant get hold of a product made in our country.. :(

I take it those (that look like the Golok) you can currently buy on Ebay for around £15 are not genuine Martindale products? but the fakes mentiond earlier..??

If you could PM me with the suppliers in the UK that would be fantastic..

And yes, keep me posted with any goings on...

Andy.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
AndyP said:
It is rather silly we cant get hold of a product made in our country.. :(...

Hello Andy,

I ‘feel’ your frustration <chuckle>

That echoed my sentiments almost exactly when I emailed Martindale.

AndyP said:
...I take it those (that look like the Golok) you can currently buy on Ebay for around £15 are not genuine Martindale products? but the fakes mentiond earlier..??...

I can’t offer an opinion as to whether the machetes on eBay are genuine or fake, as I’ve not seen the items being offered. For all I know they may be perfectly ‘kosher’.

My approach is if you want the genuine article, deal with trustworthy retailers, and don’t take everything you are told on trust, unless it comes with an assurance that people are prepared to substantiate in writing.

If people ‘shy off’ when you make an enquiry as to the provenance of the item, by email, this always ‘puts me on the back foot’, and I tend not to do business with them.

AndyP said:
If you could PM me with the suppliers in the UK that would be fantastic....

Distributor’s contact details PM’ed (Or shortly will be).

AndyP said:
...And yes, keep me posted with any goings on...
Andy.

Will do :)

Best regards,
Paul.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Cheers for the imput and feedback Paul...

I'll get in touch with the references in the PM's tomorrow.. Do you think they would consider a group buy if they only had to deal with one person...?

Going back to the ones mentioned on Ebay.. They are the same design/profile as the Martindale Golok, however in their title no mention of 'martindale'.. Therfore this says to me they be copies..?

Once again, thanks Paul... :D

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
AndyP said:
Cheers for the imput and feedback Paul...

I'll get in touch with the references in the PM's tomorrow.. Do you think they would consider a group buy if they only had to deal with one person...?

Going back to the ones mentioned on Ebay.. They are the same design/profile as the Martindale Golok, however in their title no mention of 'martindale'.. Therfore this says to me they be copies..?

Once again, thanks Paul... :D

If you are interested in organising a Group Buy (Which I think would be a good idea), my suggestion would be to post a ‘heads up’ in the Group Buy forum to sound out interest, before contacting a distributor, and stating that you know an impeccable source of supply of the ‘real thing’. It might also be a good idea to post the same over at British Blades with a link back to the Group Buy thread here at BCUK.

I imagine this would swell the numbers in respect to a potential order with one of the distributors. I think that a distributor is more likely to take kindly to a proposition for a number of pieces rather than a number of individuals requesting their own machetes, as it would take less time/hassle for the distributor to administer a single large-ish order than lots of individual ones re: postage/billing/payment and so forth.

Don’t forget, if there is interest in a Group Buy, to specify with the distributor that you are interested in the new production Martindale Golok No2 GLK2-02, this has something stamped on the opposite side of the blade that has the Martindale crocodile on it, that shows it is military issue (I’ll PM you with the details). This might be of interest particularly to members of BB.

Even though I have placed an order for a No2 with a army surplus supplier, I have no idea which version it will be, GLK2-01 or GLK2-02, so I’d definitely be interested in one from one from an official distributors.

On the matter of eBay, it’s difficult to draw any definite conclusions about the reasons for omission of the manufacturers name, though I understand how it would cause you to be suspicious, it would cause me to think the worst too.

That said, I have noticed a number of reputable online retailers, not on eBay, of bushcrafty stuff who omit the manufactures name from the products they sell. Why they do this I don’t know. Whether it is because they think that the buyer isn’t interested, or they themselves don’t think that detail about kit is important, who knows?

But as they say in the legal profession 'Buyer Beware'!

Best regards,
Paul.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Cheers again Paul...

Ive done a organised a couple of group buys over on BritishBlades so I'de definately go over there too..

Im gona contact the suppliers first however to check on the exact product and quantities in stock and go from there...

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
AndyP said:
Cheers again Paul...

Ive done a organised a couple of group buys over on BritishBlades so I'de definately go over there too..

Im gona contact the suppliers first however to check on the exact product and quantities in stock and go from there...

Okey-doke.

I'll keep my eyes open for the threads, and post one of those 'count me in' type posts :D

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Buckley8219 said:
Hi,

I bought one of these a few days ago

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=190054269950&rd=1&rd=1

without out reading this thread, does it look kosher or have I been had? I thought it may be too good to be true with the price! When it arrives is there anyway of checking whether it is fake or not? :(

Hello Buckley,

I'm no expert you understand, but the handle shapes of the machetes you refer to do not appear in the current Martindale catalogue, and it's 'interesting' that the side of the blade that would normaly have the Martindale logo stampeded on it is the opposite side to the one illustrated.

Have a look at the Martindale cataloge for yourself (Click on the links of the left-hand side of the page to view the various designs):
http://www.ralphmartindale.co.uk/ralphmartindale/brochure.html

Best regards,
Paul.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
I just checked ralph martindale's site, and it looks like i've been had! As I can't find a similar model anywhere.

Gutted, as my mother used to say 'if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is'. I'll have a look when it arrives, if's o.k i'll keep it, if not I shall be getting a refund.

Lesson learnt!

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Buckley8219 said:
I just checked ralph martindale's site, and it looks like i've been had! As I can't find a similar model anywhere.

Gutted, as my mother used to say 'if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is'. I'll have a look when it arrives, if's o.k i'll keep it, if not I shall be getting a refund.

Lesson learnt!

Never mind, Buckley. It was only a few quid. At least you didn't buy a 'Rolex'!

All ways look on the bright side of life...all together now! :D

Best,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE