Long Bow Roving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Roving is just magic fun, After me and my pal became accustomed to all the different distances on the range of our field coarse roving became the only real fun we had left and we mainly used judo points, hexblunts and bludgeons, Flu flu arrows were also great fun.
I have always found the Heritage shafts from Corbon Express as tough as old nails honestly solid as a rock.

From left to right 3 and 5 are two of the usual suspects, No4 is a 357Mag shell blunt on a 11/32 wooden shaft.
Hilary Greenland recommends 9mm in her book The Traditional Archers Handbook but whatever floats your boat, they all do the same job + or - a rim. I don’t have a picture of a hex blunt handy here but the face of the hex-blunt is cupped or hollowed which is supposed to help prevent skipping and seems to work just fine.

I like the second from the right for the type shooting the OP's discussing (or any shooting toward the ground) It catches on the grass and prevents the arrow from slipping under the sod and disappearing forever.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Can you fit rubber blunts over field tips?

As has been said already, NO! But if you're using modern arrows the heads (field tips) unscrew and can be replaced with the new ones (judo points or whatever) for whatever use you intend.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
NO NO NO do not in any circumstance put a blunt over a field point. We check arrows with blunts for this before a re-enactment battle because the point can move forwards through the blunt and injure someone on impact.

Ok, but the intention was not to shoot at people, and treat them with the same respect as field tips.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
BTW, you shoot a bow, you don't fire it. The only way to fire a bow involves a box of matches (or a flint and steel, of course) ;-)
Peter

Always makes me chuckle that archers like to point that out. What about firing an employee? without burning them at the stake of course, its just a term ;)

Regarding blunts if you do go down the route of using a 357 shell or similar its best to adjust its weight to that of an average field point you will likely be using. On average they tend to be much lighter and can throw you out when you come back to the field points.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"If any man... do pick or steale any lead or ore to the value of xiiid, the Lord or his Officer may arrest all his lead and Oare House or hearthes with his Grooves and Workes and keep them in forfeit... and shall take the person that hath soe affeended and bring him where his house or worke and all his tooles and instruments are... and put him into his house or worke and set fire in all together about him and banish him..."
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/5/messages/167.html

Different use of "fire", quite close to burning them at the stake.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
haha thanks for that, I have now placed my right hand over my hart and sworn from this moment on
I shall never fire my bow again, from this day forth I shall shoot my bow so help me god! long live the queen!

As far as being careful I am way ahead of you, ive shot since I could pick up an air rifle and used a shot gun
since the age of 14. Gun safety has never been something taken lightly in my house, and I can only try to
assure you I will be treating the bow with the exact same respect as anything else that fires a projectile
at high velocity. But I do appreciate the sentiment friend.
ps, yeah those Judo tips look good, I hadn't heard of them until today.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I got a bunch of arrows along with a bow once from ebay, a couple with rubber blunts fitted. Loosed them at an old rotting stump and one stuck in. Pulled it out to find the blunt had been slipped over a field point.
Funny thing was the point had come through the blunt so easily that there's no way it'd ever been used by the previous owner. Hell of a thing to go passing on to someone.
The other was fine - fitted to the bare shaft as it should be.

Judos here too, marvelous wee things. :)

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Judo's, blunts/bludgeons, small game points are all good but if you've tuned up properly just make sure you've got a matching point weight up front to your field tips if you're heading back to the targets.

I am too stingy to wreck arrows, too impatient to start digging them out of tree roots with an old screwdriver to go out stump shooting proper though!

I have a Rinehart throw ball & a 18-1 and a McKenzie "Kickstart" which I take into the bush for *hunting/3D practice, sooo much better, easier and more fun and on the rare occurrence that we bump into anyone its easier to believe we are recreational shooting carrying targets around than out of season hunting.

I keep meaning to give judos a proper run out myself and make a load of Flu flus for later in the year.

*Not in UK!

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
just a thought about the previous bit of pointless but interesting info about arrows being shot and never
fired, would infact the correct term be too LOOSE an arrow? and your both wrong and im all smug!
or im wrong and ill get my coat!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I thought that earlier :)

Read too much military history in my time :)
just a thought about the previous bit of pointless interesting bit of info about arrows being shot and never
fired, would infact the correct term be too LOOSE an arrow? and your both wrong and im all smug!
or im wrong and ill get my coat!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I thought that earlier :)

Read too much military history in my time :)

Was always told it was to loose an arrow my self but hey its all the same.
So I guess you cant "fire" an air rifle either? Or am I getting it completely wrong now.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
The guys here are right about the weight but it’s not absolutely critical as most of the wooden arrow shaft I use for roving are buckshe and have already broken just behind the pile and therefore shorter and lighter anyway, but in general try to get the weight as fairly close as possible and as most field points, rubber bludgeons and Judo points are weighing in @ around 125grains.

An easy way to add weight to the 357 or 9mm shells is to drill out the primer “Fired shell only obviously “ and still using some glue or hotmelt to fill-in any gaps or air spaces, screw in a long brass screw through the primmer hole and fix it onto the shaft permanently, I use round headed screws not just to add the weight but the shell case also don’t need to be chamfered and therefore it sits flush over the base.

You are going to bust lots of arrows but paper targets are just so boring, there is nothing like shooting an arrow clean through a hole in a rotten tree and not smashing the arrow to bits, but watch out for tin cans if I’ve seen it once I’ve seen it a dozen times when the arrow exits the can all the feathers get striped off. Splitting the willow is always good fun when out roving.
You can also buy judo’s points extra wide (screw in or taper fit) which are especially good on Flu Flu arrows and aerial targets.

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
An easy way to add weight to the 357 or 9mm shells is to drill out the primer “Fired shell only obviously “ and still using some glue or hotmelt to fill-in any gaps or air spaces, screw in a long brass screw through the primmer hole and fix it onto the shaft permanently, I use round headed screws not just to add the weight but the shell also don’t need to be chamfered and therefore it sits flush over the base.

Thats a cracking idea, nice one bud.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I spose you can shoot an air rifle as you "loose" a piece of shot, shooting a shot, even lead shot?
so it would appear as a bow and arrow dosnt fire "shot" you cant shoot it?
so NO you cant shoot an arrow either, you can only LOOSE it! unleash it as it where.
Sod this im going back to my original concept of "fireing" arrows and I don't care who moans
infact im going to "chuck" or "lob" mine just to be antagonistic lol

ps the 9mm shell idea is cracking, I can get loads at the range, cheers for that

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Roger Ascham declared that the archer must hold and loose. In other words one should draw the bow, hold for a brief interval (fast) and then release the string (loose). Fast being an archer's word for stop especially if someone wanders in front of the target with "fast and loose " being a phrase now more associated with someone playing fast and loose with somebody's affections.

http://archive.org/details/RogerAschamToxophilus1545

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Roger Ascham declared that the archer must hold and loose. In other words one should draw the bow, hold for a brief interval (fast) and then release the string (loose). Fast being an archer's word for stop especially if someone wanders in front of the target with "fast and loose " being a phrase now more associated with someone playing fast and loose with somebody's affections.

http://archive.org/details/RogerAschamToxophilus1545

Your a wealth boatman. Will certainly help sink in the fact that trad bows should not be held at full draw for too long.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....An easy way to add weight to the 357 or 9mm shells is to drill out the primer “Fired shell only obviously “.....

If you're not into reloading and don't have the proper decapping punch (and I assume you don't since you're drilling them out) It's just as easy to knock the old primers out with a pin punch from the inside of the case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE