Lone females in woodland - dangerous?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Can we get this back on track please, here’s the question
feel really vulnerable walking in isolated places as a lone female and was wondering if you have any suggestions as to how or where I could enjoy my hobby safely.
:D

It seems to be implied that there it was stated it was ok to get weapons out etc, this was not the case, if we are in the woods with permission and we have our equipment with us it is often visible, just as a dog would be. No one is suggesting that weapons are drawn, or made, to act as deterrents. :rolleyes:

It’s also not a thread that needs to include accounts of when people have come unstuck while out on their own etc.

Anyone got any more good suggestions for where Earth Mother can go to enjoy her hobby? :D

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Here's my suggestions:

There's a thing or two we could learn from Wildlife methinks. They usually have the answer. Animals sense humans entering their woods very quickly and suddenly become invisable. Be aware of who is in your woods too and if they don't 'feel right' at a distance, slip away if you're able.

If you've been seen already (or surprised) then body language is your next best stratagem. Don't be furtive, strand straight, convey confidence. Animals always try to make them selves look bigger if they're challenged. Even cats doing that silly sideways on hunchy back thing "I'm big, I'm strong, do you really want to take me on?! Well do ya?!!

Look directly but briefly at people you enocounter. Then appear disinterested and carry on. Sometimes it's better not to make a connection. But if they seem OK, then greet them (it's nice for everyone). However, lower the tone of your voice a little just in case. It gives an air of authority and makes you appear in control of the encounter.

All done, put some space between you quietly.

Such a lot of play acting unfortunately, but as a first line of defense it usually does work.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Well, as has been suggested you could take a dog ? Stick close to well lit areas although thats a little difficult in woodland, perhaps on the edge of it, although then you're more likely to be seen hmm this is difficult. Take some keys, take a friend with you perhaps?

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Young Bushman said:
Well Andy, you'd have to be an extremely selfish person not to investigate if someone is screaming for help and you can hear the terror in their voice. Believe me you know when someone is mucking about and when someone is genuinely in fear for their lives

It´s not that simple really, I have stepped between fights and I have helped people that have been knocked down or stabbed with a knife. Just becasue I have tried to separate people that are fighting I have been threatened with guns and knives. Read the other day about a man who saw a gang hitting another man, he picked up his cell phone to call the police, the gang saw him and hunted him into his own and beat him up. There is many stories like this every day and some people dont survive, just because the tried to help.

The best thing is to stay out of trouble unless you know what you re doing. But if someone is hurt or you arrive to an accident you should always help and everyone can do something.

But still these things happens in the big cities...not in the woods

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Tony said:
Anyone got any more good suggestions for where Earth Mother can go to enjoy her hobby? :D

I'm sure the scout camp site are happy to have you there Ali, after all, if you're there and looking after the place then they know it's safe so unless they tell you that you're imposing why not stay where you are.

Failing that, Ashdown forest isn't far from you. I think you'd be quite near to the South Downs too.... then there's the coast footpaths, which are more open and a little quieter. Or just check out the BCUK map and see who's close to you from here and maybe meet up with them and bushcraft together...it's always nicer with somebody to chat to and to check things with like fungi types or plant names :D

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
It is a real concern and we do need to address it. Frankly I think we'd be stupid not to. We, as women in particular, too often watch the news and hear headlines read out to us "missing girl's body found in woodland" and can't help feeling uneasy.

But remember 9 times out of 10, the attack or abduction happenes in the city or the town, not actually in the woodland. The attacker then has to hide the 'evidence' somewhere and woodland seems the best hiding place. By the time they're reach that stage, they're probably a bit of a gibbering wreck themselves, terrified of their own shadows, full of guilt or at least the fear of being found out. Or so I would imagine.

If you don't look twice before crossing the road you're like to get knocked down. If you keep your wits about your you're likely to be fine.

It's like anything in life, know the dangers, learn what you can do to avoid them or deal with them and then get on out there and live.

And... if you can, take a friend, Human or otherwise ;):D

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Viking said:
Yes, move to Sweden her there is lots of woodland and lots of nice people :)

An we have some famous pottery here too, Höganäs for example
Ah yes, but there's a magic in this 'ere land Viking. Stuff politics and daft or dangerous local plebs alike, some of us kinda feel like we belong here. A bit of a powerful connection between the land and the land lover ;)

Tell you what though, I'd love to see Sweden one day. It looks beautiful.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
bambodoggy said:
I'm sure the scout camp site are happy to have you there Ali, after all, if you're there and looking after the place then they know it's safe so unless they tell you that you're imposing why not stay where you are.

Better yet, give something back and get involved with a local Scout group as a leader/volunteer and then I'm sure you'll never be turned away. :D

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
My comments:

It is a crying shame that in today's society people walk on by injured etc people in cities, but don't forget the myriad of scam artists who fake an accident or illness or some other vulnerability then wait for a well meaning passer by then they or their gang mug the helper. it does happen. I agree that you are far more vulnerable to attack here in london, so much so that I have no fear whatso ever in the countryside, as most people are there to enjoy the countryside itself. Scum tend to stay in urban areas where they can ply thier evil trade. As someone said, there is much more chance of finding a victim in a crowded city than the deserted countryside. As far as lone women feeling vulnerable in the woods from strange men, then don't forget lone men are just as vulnerable to being made to squeel like a pig. I've seen Deliverance.....

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
FeralSheryl said:
Ah yes, but there's a magic in this 'ere land Viking. Stuff politics and daft or dangerous local plebs alike, some of us kinda feel like we belong here. A bit of a powerful connection between the land and the land lover ;)

Tell you what though, I'd love to see Sweden one day. It looks beautiful.

It is beatiful and it´s also home =)

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
while I agree thats its unlikely to meet with thuggery etc in the woods statitsticaly,regardless of age or gender, I cant help remember an incident I had about 7 years ago.
I was on top of Ben Ledi in the trossachs.It was march-still winter at that height.
There was nobody else about since I had left the carpark,after chatting to a couple of women who were doing a different route to me.I was enjoying the view when this guy appeared dressed in jeans,trainers with a denim jacket.He started some daft west of scotland posturing/threatening type crap which didnt work .He left shortly afterwards down the path.
I suddenly remembered the two woman ,and ran down the path to meet them.
No sign of the ned.I explainend my worries to these two Edinburgh matrons-
they were a bit miffed if anything,at the idea of needing to be 'saved' by a
puffing,red faced weegie!
I contacted the police ,when I got off the hill-a guy matching his description had been lifted that evening for breaking into cars at the carpark.I like to think that he had been caught and had the **** kicked out of him by the two matrons.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
More often than not I have the dog with me.
More people stop and talk to him. I come as an afterthought

Although saying that I usually recognize other dogs rather than their owners.
I've been asked a few times why I've not spoken to some-one. It's always because they don't have their dog with them

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Andy said:
PS you also get diagrams for making a bungeecord powerd cannon which might be handy :D

I've missed something :confused: , I only wanted to walk in the woods, not storm the castle! On the other hand, bungee powered cannons might just be the thing to discourage the numpties......waterbombs maybe :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
It's strange....I come to this forum from time to time to read about what other people experiences, and so often it's nothing like my experience! I live in some woods and am lucky to see anyone from one day to the next! I count this as a blessing mind you and would certainly not want drunken teenagers around my home! It just seems strange as I read the posts in this thread how we seem to have such different experiences!
I would definitely say that awareness and silent movement are the way to approach this.
Pete

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I bought Sam an X-Marker spray as a lot of the work she does for the environment agency involves lone working in the woods. Trying to convice her to carry it is another matter as shes worried that she'll get sued if she does, even though it says on the can that its legitimate to use if in self defence.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Hey, that looks pretty good, bit of a bummer it goes of accidentally though!!! :D
People would assume you'd been watching too much star trek!!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
They have a safety pin which seems fairly firm and I can't see it getting pulled out by mistake. It is easy to pull out when you need to though.

More portable then a bungee powerd cannon :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE