Lone females in woodland - dangerous?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I believe that the biggest danger in the outdoors is lack of awareness. There simply aren't any precautions to take or simple infallible rules, so a person has to be ready to deal with situations as they come up.
Lots of heavily armed people people around here have been attacked by bears or stomped by momma moose, so being male, big, tough, or even armed isn't any guarantee of safety. But most would have been saved some misery by first being aware of developments and then avoiding confrontation.
People are far easier to avoid or escape from than animals.
As I get older and my hearing goes, I can imagine the day when it's not safe for me to be out without a dog around here.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I think a bushcrafter type with a visable sheath knife on belt, regardless of sex does not have the markings of an easy target.

The most important thing in almost any situation is to never appear to be the soft or easy target. In life as well as nature this rule stands firm.

I have found myself in several cases surrounded by local teenagers looking for a place to drink out of sight. I just say hello and start whittling with a knife. Each case the lads stayed for a bit, asked questions but moved on. I am a big lad but lads are the most common target. I feel my confidence and the respect I showed these lads in talking to them, making eye contact and not talking down to them was a great help! The fact I was fuzz sticking with a Falkenkiven A2 at the time... bonus! :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Gary said:
Only enough I had a similar problem, not one of worrying about being attacked (god help the attacker) but one of being viewed with suspicion.

I lone man wandering in the eoods wearing drab clothes - in todays sad world how many peole would view him as a threat, a pervert or worse?

It was a concern of mine and so much so that I not only take my dog to the woods every time (not that he minds) but I also drag along one of my kids!

That said I just pictured a male brushcraft wandering the woods spotting a lone female bushcraft and both of them nervously flitting about avoiding each other for fear of the other - great little world we now live in eh, once upon a time two strangers passing on a trail would have said hello, shared news of events from where they had come, maybe even traded a skill or tool - now we cant trust anybody, women cant feel safe in the woods, men worry about being labelled a pervet ---- lovely little PC world!

Sad but true Gary.I have the kind of facial expression that makes people want to avoid me,can't help the way I'm made.So I always make a point of stopping and having a chat.That way folks can get an idea of what you're really like.I am now on friendly terms with the chairman of an international company and his two dogs.And several lone ladies.They now benefit from knowing that a friendly male is somewhere about and they can relax a bit.So if you do find a lady bushcrafter,or even a walker in your patch,introduce yourself.The greatest fear is that of the unknown,and you will probably help them to relax and enjoy their time in the woods.This is assuming that you're NOT a miserable git. :D
You're right about the dog,a dog is a great ice breaker and makes you look more "normal".Good for the children too,they will learn a lot just being with you.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
its odd that we perceive that women are at greater risk than men in the woods, this is probably due to women worrying about it more whilst men always seem confident (often wrongly) that they will be able to look after themselves.

who is at more risk? a woman who is worried and so alert and taking percauctions or a man who is confident and ignorant of the danger.

a lone young man who inadvertently bumps into a group of young men out looking for trouble is statistically the most likely to get into real difficulties.

Dogs and the fact that we are usually carrying edged tools might deter most people but whether you are a man or a woman the risk (which is never that high in the first place) is the same.

I would like to point out that as much as we would like to romanticise the past, the risk is no greater in the woods now than before, in fact you are probably safer now in the woods that a most other times in history.

I quick search though historic documents will show that people were certainly very fearful of travelling in the woods in the past.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Stuart said:
its odd that we perceive that women are at greater risk than men in the woods, this is probably due to women worrying about it more whilst men always seem confident (often wrongly) that they will be able to look after themselves.

who is at more risk? a woman who is worried and so alert and taking percauctions or a man who is confident and ignorant of the danger.

a lone young man who inadvertently bumps into a group of young men out looking for trouble is statistically the most likely to get into real difficulties.

Dogs and the fact that we are usually carrying edged tools might deter most people but whether you are a man or a woman the risk (which is never that high in the first place) is the same.

I would like to point out that as much as we would like to romanticise the past, the risk is no greater in the woods now than before, in fact you are probably safer now in the woods that a most other times in history.

I quick search though historic documents will show that people were certainly very fearful of travelling in the woods in the past.

Very true Stu, of course thats a time related thing. Fifty years ago or even between the wars our country side was a much more gentile place - recent changed in population and economics put an end to that.

But go back 200 and you had footpads and highway men (although I suspect commoners like most of us wouldnt have been worth robbing then).

Go back 1000 years and you have roving bands of warriors, outlaws and varous other low lifes not to mention the last of the wolves and bears

Go back even further and well your open to all sorts on dangers ........ but history has proven people still travelled and still traded - then as in todays world the dangers are greatly exaggerated by those who are naturally fearful or by those whose job it is to make such claims!

A little common sense goes a long way but sadly that is something we are slowly losing track of - you dont go on holiday to a war torn state and then wonder that you got shot at same as you dont got wandering around a innercity housing estate flashing your wallet and covered in gold.

As for looking like a bushcraft and flashing your knife - we were taught in the army that if in a fight your were dumb enough you pull a knife make your your smart enough to use it! Flashing a knife around in public is a recipy for disaster.

But its all thoeretical anyway, as many have pointed out those living in the country, in villages away from the city are generally more friendly. I always say hello to whoever I pass and apart from the odd one or two most people respond in like manner.

Maybe if more people were friendly and courtious towards each other the habit would spread!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Personally I'd keep my knife/Axe well hidden... I mean, what am I going to do with it...wave it at them or kill them with it? Not my style I'm affraid.... I'll leave the killing to others.....I've been close to killing (not me doing it I hesten to add) in the past and do not wish to be any part of that whole violent thing.
I don't agree with mixing my "tools" as "weapons".... if I wanted a weapon then I'd take a weapon like a club that's less likely to kill. My knife and my axe are tools and are staying that way thank you.

The other worry about showing your weapons is that you have no idea who you are up against and it's fairly likely that they may be able to disarm you and then use your weapon against you.
There was a case over in Hampshire many years ago when a woman was attacked and she pulled out a knife her hubby had given her for protection, the attacker took it off her and cut up her facer with it........not nice at all.

And for those of you who think flashing a knife or axe will stop people attacking...please wake up and join the real world or you'll get yourself hurt. I've tackled the total sum of the earth while working in Soho as a Dog handler and if people like that aren't scared of a massive great dog and a telescopic baton that will break their limbs in one swing do you really think they'll give a hoot about a little mora? If these people are attacking you it's because they aren't normal people...normal people like you and I may think a knife would scare people...to not normal people it might as well be a lollipop you're holding.
Here's a much better bet, ignor things as long as you can and walk away, when you can't ignor it any longer turn ask them what they want, stoop and pick up a hardful or sand/dust/dirt/gravel etc, thorw it right in their face/eyes as hard as you can and then turn around and run away....keep running till you are safe. :D

I'm lucky in that I have an 8 stone ex-police german sheperd who'll defend me to the death but to be honest I don't feel I need him....I'm lucky that I live in a nice area and even our local hoodlums scatter and run like donkeys when you bark at them! lol

As I've said before I'm a heck of a runner when the need arrises too and I have no ego issues abot running away. I'm an ex solider and am not scared to fight but I don't like to do it and if I can run away and avoid it then so much to the better... could save my life...or save the attackers... could save a court case and could save a prison term... As I said, nothing wrong with running away ;)

Just my thoughts anyway,

Bam.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
bambodoggy said:
Personally I'd keep my knife/Axe well hidden... I mean, what am I going to do with it...wave it at them or kill them with it? Not my style I'm affraid.... I'll leave the killing to others.....I've been close to killing (not me doing it I hesten to add) in the past and do not wish to be any part of that whole violent thing.
I don't agree with mixing my "tools" as "weapons".... if I wanted a weapon then I'd take a weapon like a club that's less likely to kill. My knife and my axe are tools and are staying that way thank you.

The other worry about showing your weapons is that you have no idea who you are up against and it's fairly likely that they may be able to disarm you and then use your weapon against you.
There was a case over in Hampshire many years ago when a woman was attacked and she pulled out a knife her hubby had given her for protection, the attacker took it off her and cut up her facer with it........not nice at all.

And for those of you who thing flashing a knife or axe will stop people attacking...please wake up and join the real world or you'll get yourself hurt. I've tackle the total sum of the earth while working in Soho as a Dog handler and if people like that aren't scared of a massive great dog and a telescopic baton that will break their limbs in one swing do you really think they'll give a hoot about a little mora? If these people are attacking you it's because they aren't normal people...normal people liek you and I may think a knife would scare people...to not normal people it might as well be a lollipop you're holding.

I'm lucky in that I have an 8 stone ex-police german sheperd who'll defend me to the death but to be honest I don't feel I need him....I'm lucky that I live in a nice area and even our local hoodlums scatter and run like donkeys when you bark at them! lol

As I've said before I'm a heck of a runner when the need arrises too and I have no ego issues abot running away. I'm an ex solider and am not scared to fight but I don't like to do it and if I can run away and avoid it then so much to the better... could save my life...or save the attackers... could save a court case and could save a prison term... As I said, nothing wrong with running away ;)

Just my thoughts anyway,

Bam.

Yeah, totally agree with you bam. I'm not going to pull a knife on someone and run the risk of killing them and getting myself into trouble just for the sake of 20 quid in my pocket. Although, I never carry that much around with me anyway mainly because I never have it :D

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Maybe an idea just to carry 10 quid and if someone mugs you, just hand them over and run like hell. Traning in running might also be good, especially sprinting.

Also remember, yelling FIRE will atract more attention than yelling HELP.

I agree with you Bambo. :)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
May attract more attention but it might not help you, if you yell fire people will probably run to the phone and call the fire brigade if your yelling help someone will probably come over to investigate.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Good post Stuart!

Having the gear and stuff makes it clear we are not the "usual" target. If anything a bushcrafter is likelly to be percieved as a threat by the nature of not conforming to what polite (roofed) society expects!

Teens have always show interest in me and my gear, but initial worries have always proved unfounded when I actually talk to the with respect. Its not about having a knife as some are obsessed about making this, its about the right attitude.

I love the meet ups as no one blinks because you have a green hat on or have a knife on your belt. When I speak to people, their concerns evaporate, but in todays "apperance is everything" world, how many people would approach me in the woods? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I don't think so Scott. :) If you yell fire, people will be up on their marks and investigate, but if you yell help they will just go on with their careless everyday. It's called indifference.

I seem to recall it as a fact, taught by martial artists. (whose purpose is not to fight attackers, but to avoid getting in a fight, by calling for help, by yelling fire).

2 cents

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I dont understand this. Since when did axemurderes and gangs started to hang out in the woods?
I never fear people I meet in the woods (not even those with rifles) I always say hello and sometimes talk about the weather or where I can find some good berries or fungi. When out on a hike the problem is that you stop every 5 minutes to talk to everyone. I have never meta person in the woods that I have seen as a threat. People always ask me if I am not afraid when I am out in the woods at night, what would I be afraid of? An axe murderer that goes far out in the woods and hoping there will be a lone guy waiting to chopped up, that only happen in the movies.
My fear is more when walking in a city, people get killed there everyday, even guys get raped by other guys, there drug addicts, people driving drunk, people on the run from the cops, gangs and the list just goes on. But I never mee any of these in the foresr.

Maybe it´s just me living in a dreamland...

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Well Andy, you'd have to be an extremely selfish person not to investigate if someone is screaming for help and you can hear the terror in their voice. Believe me you know when someone is mucking about and when someone is genuinely in fear for their lives

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Young Bushman said:
Well Andy, you'd have to be an extremely selfish person not to investigate if someone is screaming for help
Maybe, but it's the truth. Most people today won't help because they are afraid of the attackers might find them and mug them next time or something along those lines. You never know.

I guess we'd just all have to fear evil men but fear the indifference of good men even more. ;)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Young Bushman said:
Well Andy, you'd have to be an extremely selfish person not to investigate if someone is screaming for help and you can hear the terror in their voice. Believe me you know when someone is mucking about and when someone is genuinely in fear for their lives

While I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments Young Bushman, in reality Andy is right. On a lot of self defence courses now they do advise you to shout fire rather than help.

It's the old "Car Alarm" problem again.... they go off so often that people now no longer bother to investigate. That or people are to scared to get involved. There was a young WPC beaten up in a busy shopping Mall a year or so ago by two hefty lads she caught shoplifting, nobody tried to help her or got involved.
I myself have watched a woman faint on the underground at the far end of the platform in the rush hour and then, horrified, watched further as commuters stepped over her to get on and off the tube. I was at the other far end of the platform and by the time I got to her she was just coming round, not one other person tried to help or even stopped. Shocking!

This is a very sad thing to have to admit to but our socetiy isn't as friendly or helpful as maybe it once was and certainly not as we'd like it to be, I think that's why bushcraft is so important to me, it gets me away from that side of life :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
'tis true. Anyone remember the example in the paper - maybe last year, there was a young woman lying half in the road and pavement bleeding from a knife wound, and drivers were just driving around her, and pedestrians were walking on by. :confused: :( . And it was all caught on camera....

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
innocent bystander said:
'tis true. Anyone remember the example in the paper - maybe last year, there was a young woman lying half in the road and pavement bleeding from a knife wound, and drivers were just driving around her, and pedestrians were walking on by. :confused: :( . And it was all caught on camera....

Yer I remember that... as I said; Shocking!

I do have to admit here that I've helped pull this thread way way way off topic though!... sorry...

Safe in the woods: By and large of course you are, who else is going to be out there on a cold december morning when it's chucking it down looking for fresh animal tracks! lol
As Viking and others have said, why would mad axe murderers go in the woods? I do think you would have to be a lot more careful in some of the larger urban parks though, they can attract a funny lot! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE